General context of the project
In 2020, across South Sudan, about two thirds of the country’s population (7.5 millions) remain in need of humanitarian assistance. In the last years, the situation has become even harder since humanitarian funding have significantly decreased, the Humanitarian response plan for 2020 having been funded only to 34,6% at September 17th, making the humanitarian crisis in South Sudan a forgotten one.
The severity of the crisis is deepened by the consequences of COVID19, that until the 18th of september included 2,599 cases and 49 deaths nation wide. Health situation has been particularly worring for IDP living in closed sites known as PoC sites given the poor conditions of the sites including overcrowdness, poor hygiene, lack of safe drinking water, clean latrines and hygiene kits. Data from August 7th 2020, counted 43 cases and 5 deaths in the PoCs being the ones In Bentiu and Malakal to more severily affected.
Beyond the health consequences related to the virus, restrictive measures including the closure of borders, limited movement across states and closure of basic services have severily impact the most vulnerable people, particularly in terms of food security and nutrition. South Sudan had 61 percent of its population in a state of food crisis (IPC +3) in 2019. In september 2020, the floods have put and additional strain on food security, projections expecting at least 30% of the country (particularly in Upper Nile and Jonglei) to pass to a state of acute food crisis (IPC+4). Additionnaly, the disruption of COVID-19 will likely result in disruption of health and nutrition services. This has hinghtened the risk of death for more than 292,000 childrensuffering from severe acute malnutrition this year and might increase the number of children suffering from moderate acute malnutrition (MAM) that previsions, prior to COVID19, estimated at already 1 million children.
General purpose of the position
his position is aimed at ensuring the prompt and effective delivery of the WASH project in Malakal – Upper Nile State as well as other additional areas of expansion in case it is required by the development of the crisis and the availability of funds.
By the end of the assignment, the post holder is expected to have:
- Contributed to ensuring beneficiaries targeted by projects are accessing all the foreseen services; Ensured the technical quality of WASH project deliverables;
- Managed project logistics to ensure the achievement of project’s activities;
- Managed all financial resources available to project, ensuring sound documentation is in place for all procurements and internal and donor procedures are applied;
- Ensured data is collected to respond to all project’s indicators in a timely fashion for interim and final reporting;
- Ensured timely submission of all reports due at State level and contributed to country-level reporting (5Ws, interim and final reports);
- Support the WASH national team in conducting needs assessment when required;
- Support the WASH national team in development of their skills, knowledge and capacities through training opportunities and on-the-job mentoring.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Setting up and/or ensuring continuation of all the foreseen activities
- Developing and managing the implementation of/adherence to work plans and M&E plans
- Ensuring a sound monitoring of the project by producing, regularly updating and sharing – once in a month – the project appraisal tool (PAT)
- Providing technical support to projects’ staff
- Enhancing quality of implementation by training projects’ staff
- Managing all the financial resources allocated to projects, producing financial plans and cash forecasts and verifying budgets vs. actual on a weekly and monthly basis
- Managing all the logistical procedures, ensuring INTERSOS and Donor requirements are met and proper documentation is collected and maintained
- Ensuring reports are properly produced and submitted to donors
- An advance University engineerig
- Post graduate studies in WASH are desiderable
At least three years of relevant professional work experience in the humanitarian field as WASH Project Manager and specialist
- strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
- Interpersonal skills, strong ommunication and diplomatic skills
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure
Fluency in written and spoken English