WASH Project Manager
Role & Responsibilities
Lead the water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) team in Renk, provides strategic direction, management, and designing and implementing WASH services in Renk County. Major responsibilities include: assessing WASH needs; designing projects; contributing to proposal preparation; managing project implementation; reporting on objectives, timeframe and budget; providing technical support and line-management to staff; ensuring quality standards are met; and liaising with local authorities and other stakeholders. He/she is also responsible for accomplishing the project objectives and outcomes within the contextual constraints. The PM ensures the overall success of the project by making sure the WASH team completes the defined activities while adhering to international and internal standards and contractual obligations; and that the project is completed on time, within budget and with acceptable quality.
Multi-sector relief programme providing nutrition, behaviour change, health and WASH services with the goal to reduce morbidity and mortality in vulnerable communities.
Field based position in Renk, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 to 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
· Develop programme strategy, draft project proposal, project budget, and staff plan to implement the planned project. Ensure quality of WASH project implementation and activities.
· Manage the schedule and budget to implement the activities in log frame.
· Monitor project indicators and communicate project performance on a regular basis.
· Represent Medair at coordination meetings and proactively network and coordinate with the state-level WASH Cluster and other WASH actors and monitor gaps in WASH services provision.
· Provide strategic direction and ensure best practice is implemented in all areas of Behaviour Change, with support from the BCC Specialist and Sector Advisors.
· Review Project Coordination Agreements, Memorandum of Understandings, and other agreements.
· Accountable for the management of all WASH Core Pipeline items and gift-in-kind WASH supplies.
· Conduct monitoring surveys, collect accurate and reliable data using appropriate tools, compile and report in a monthly basis, flag if any concern is observed and forward potential solutions.
· Draft monthly Sitrep, donor proposals, quarterly, interim and final reports.
Technical design and oversight
· Ensure technical quality of project implementation and activities.
· Select and evaluate appropriate technologies to achieve project goals.
· Provide technical input and support to the team on project activities.
Staff management and leadership
· Line manage WASH team: providing support, constructive feedback, coaching.
· Conduct formal staff appraisals and performance monitoring. Plan staff capacity building training.
· Lead regular WASH team meetings, reviewing project progress and planning ahead.
· Provide updates on wider humanitarian and political context and coordination with other partners/cluster/etc.
· Recruit new staff (with support from HR and Advisor) and provide training as needed.
· Ensure Medair HR policies are followed and integrate Medair values into regular operations/activities.
· Develop procurement plan at start of project cycle to forecast procurement needs.
· Coordinate with support and logistics managers to facilitate procurement of supplies.
· Ensure adequate stock of critical supplies at all times, particularly factoring in seasonal access limitations (wet season).
· Assess the cost of activities in relation to scope, schedule and logistics to plan and forecast spending.
· Manage the WASH budget, tracking expenditure against planned (using the monthly budgets vs actual).
· Give input to monthly cash needs forecast to manage cash reserves.
· Support the security focal person with security management when needed.
· Ensure the WASH team adhere to standard operating procedures Medair has in place.
· Promote strong planning and communication within the team.
Team Spiritual Life
· Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
· Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
· Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
· University degree in a WASH-related field (eg civil engineering, hydrogeology/hydrology).
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
· 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
· Experience working in a WASH programme in a developing country, preferably in a humanitarian context. Experience in the design, implementation and evaluation of WASH programmes.
· Experience in peer-based BCC programming, including the Care group model.
· Experience in training/mentoring staff. Committed to consultative and servant leadership.
· Committed to team-building and able to develop and support other team members.
· Technical experience with WASH infrastructure and software/training.
· Able to prioritise clearly, oversee multiple tasks and delegate wisely.
· Strong project management, organisational, and communication skills.
· Team-player with good inter-personal skills. Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page. *Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.**