Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.
Abt Associates is currently seeking a qualified Technical Director for the upcoming USAID/South Sudan Increasing Community Agricultural Resilience (ICRA) Activity. The goal of this project is to establish a multi-sectoral agriculture system that emphasizes functioning agriculture markets, food productivity, livestock farming, community capacity building, rural livelihoods, better nutrition – all of which will increase farming communities’ resilience in the face of shocks. South Sudan is facing threats to food security and malnutrition, which has been exacerbated in the advent of COVID-19. Efforts to increase resilience to help the country better respond to multiple crises and threats, including conflict, economic decline, natural disasters, plant pests, human and animal diseases remain critical.
Under the supervision of the Chief of Party, the Technical Director will be responsible providing technical leadership of the activity’s program implementation. S/he will provide managerial and technical support to the Chief of Party (COP), assisting in areas including work planning, performance management, engagement with local counterparts, and strategic communications.
The position will be based in Juba, South Sudan and is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Support the COP in overall technical management and oversight of the activity including supervision of technical leads. This includes working closely with the COP and technical leads to develop work plans and monitor activity timelines.
- Contribute to the design of innovative, integrated activities to 1) increase the productivity of the agriculture sector, 2) diversify livelihoods, 3) support market-oriented interventions both on-farm and off-farm, and 4) integrate improved nutrition activities across objectives.
- Provide substantive involvement regarding development of technical management and oversight for the accomplishment of the objectives of the activity including the supervision of project technical leads.
- Support reporting, update, and implementation of the technical strategies, identifying technical assistance needs, and mobilizing required technical resources and staff.
- Responsible for harmonizing the objectives of the activity specifically ensuring effective complementary and efficient implementation.
- Ensures that lessons learned and best practices are documented and shared. Works with monitoring, evaluation, and learning component of project to incorporate lessons learned to enhance project results.
- Lead the development and timely production of quality deliverables to USAID, such as quarterly and annual reports, work plans, budgets, technical reports, and publications. The Technical Director will work with technical leads, MEL and finance to meet these deliverables according to work plans and timelines.
- Assume primary responsibility for managing the work and monitoring the performance of international and local subcontractors, working with regional and technical staff to ensure that all activities and outputs are technically sound and appropriate.
- Master’s Degree in international development, agriculture, economics, public health, nutrition or a related field with at least 10 – 12 years of relevant experience, including 5 years of progressively responsible management experience required.
- Knowledge of and experience with USAID projects related to community resilience; agriculture; nutrition; behavior change; community-based health; economic growth; market oriented interventions; and/or water and sanitation.
- Demonstrated leadership experience and ability to work with a minimum of direction and supervision.
- Create program execution frameworks to optimize resources and improve collaboration amongst teams/clients.
- Strong management and planning skills of project tasks and budgets.
- Demonstrated team building and team management experience with an international development organization leading to high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner.
- Excellent writing skills required.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication and computer skills.
- Verbal and written fluency in English required.
- South Sudan nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- (10+) years of experience and a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.