Swedish Red Cross Country Representative
Place of assignment: Juba, South Sudan
Type of posting: International Delegate, non-family posting
Desired starting date: 14 January 2021
Contract period: 12 months, with the possibility of extension
The Swedish Red Cross (SRC) has a close cooperation with the Sudanese Red Cross Society and has been physically present in South Sudan since 2012, with the aim of supporting the National Society’s efforts to respond to the humanitarian needs and to build resilience of vulnerable communities in the country. The programme portfolio currently focuses on multi-sector humanitarian response, recovery and resilience building in fragile communities. The SRC supports SSRCS in several processes and working groups and collaborates with various Red Cross and Red Crescent movement partners present in South Sudan.
Your role in the organization
As the Country Representative you are part of the Africa regional unit and reports to the SRC Regional Head of Unit, who is based in Stockholm. You are responsible for the management of the SRC programme in South Sudan and for the partnership with the South Sudanese Red Cross Society (SSRC).
Key duties and responsibilities
- Manage the country programme following the operational cycle (planning and design, systematic monitoring and field visits, evaluation and reporting)
- Manage and monitor the country budget, including financial and audit reporting
- Close collaboration with relevant advisors and support staff at the SRC headquarter, in accordance with SRC’s procedures and systems.
- Manage the SRC in-country office
- Seek opportunities for collaboration and partnership for resource mobilization and programme development
- Represent SRC in the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement (SSRC, ICRC, IFRC and other Partner National Societies).
The position demands that you have a strong organisational awareness, the ability to work seamlessly with several stakeholders, while taking responsibility for ensuring that SRC works towards our intended objectives in South Sudan. You need to be analytical and able to develop and assess project proposals and reports. You need to be systematic and structured, with the ability to handle high workloads. You meet deadlines and can work with an elevated level of independence.
As a successful candidate you have solid interpersonal, networking and diplomatic skills You have demonstrated experiences of holding similar responsibilities outlined above.
As an SRC employee, you share the Red Cross Red Crescent humanitarian values including diversity and actively work against all forms of discrimination. You understand, respect and comply with the SRC Code of Conduct and security rules and regulations.
South Sudan is a high-risk environment. At all times, the Country Representative respects and follows relevant communication as well as security rules.
Required qualifications and experience
- Relevant academic degree in international relations, development studies, business management or related field
- At least 5 years relevant working experience in multinational environments managing humanitarian or development programmes
- 3 years field experience, preferably in Africa, and in complex and volatile contexts
- Experience in Organisational Development, Community Engagement and Accountability
- Experience in programme design and proposal writing, planning, budgeting, monitoring and evaluation including financial management & budget monitoring
- Relevant security training for work in high-risk environment (HEAT or equivalent)
- Proficient knowledge of written and spoken English
- Experience of working within the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement
- Experience of managing teams
- Experience of working with cross-cutting perspectives, such as gender, conflict sensitivity and environment/climate change
- Understanding of the current political, social and humanitarian situation of the regional and South Sudan context.
- Excellent command of English – spoken and written. Good command of Swedish is an asset
- In line with the principle of neutrality, SRC does not assign personnel to a country of which they are nationals
- Candidates must be in good health and are required to pass a medical check-up prior to departure in the field
- Candidates must hold a manual driving license and have experience in driving manual transmission vehicles
Please note that only applications made through our website will be considered.
We kindly decline any offer of services from recruitment agencies or consultants.
How to apply
For more information and application details: https://www.rodakorset.se/om-oss/jobba-hos-oss/lediga-jobb/?jobid=130403