SOUTH SUDAN – WASH PROJECT MANAGER – FASHODA
South Sudan Jobs
Date of recruitment: ASAP
Base: Fashoda (Based in Malakal and Aburoc)
Duration: 6 months – renewable pending funding and mission’s needs.
ABOUT THE MISSION
SI has started to implement its humanitarian response in South Sudan in 2006. Its long lasting presence has contributed to build a wealth of experience in WASH and FSL assessments, implementation and accountability to beneficiaries. In December 2013, SI became a key WASH actor for IDPs in the PoC of Malakal and implemented construction and maintenance of sanitation facilities, waste management and hygiene promotion activities. Following the displacement from Wau Shilluk, SI is also present in Aburoc since 2017 and was one of the very first actors on the ground to implement WaSH activities, and is currently the WaSH site focal point for the cluster.
SI has also implemented food security activities in South Sudan; piloting large-scale unconditional cash transfers amongst IDPs and host communities in Upper Nile State, as well as seeds distribution in Malakal.
In 2017, SI opened a base in Raja, Western Bahr el Ghazal, where SI has been implementing WASH in Health as well as Food Security and Livelihoods programmes in partnership with ALIMA, notably under OFDA, GIZ and SSHF grants. Thanks to these interventions, SI has managed to reach some of the remote locations in Raja such as Timsaha and Boro Medina, giving a good experience in dealing with the different actors in the area.
Furthermore, since October 2018, SI is implementing a WaSH response for Ebola and Cholera preparedness in Nimule and Juba, especially through IPC WASH and WaSH in Health interventions.
Finally, SI is implementing RRM programs since 2012 in many different settings with various interventions, allowing SI to develop deep knowledge and understanding of the different challenges South Sudan is facing.
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL (SI) currently implements the following programs:
- Emergency Preparedness & Response (SSHF EP&R and SSHF flood allocation 2): SI has SSHF funds to implement EP&R project to respond quickly to the WASH emergencies. There are 2 funds dedicated for the WASH emergency: the EP&R and the flood allocation fund (to respond to the 2019 flood in Nyriol and Mow Tot). This includes the conduction of rapid assessments and the implementation of emergency WaSH short interventions throughout the whole country.
- Emergency WASH intervention in Aburoc (CDC and other foundations): SI is providing emergency water supply in Aburoc camp (and also to the host communities) through 6 SWAT systems. In coordination with the other actors and in consultation with the communities, SI will look for mid and long term options for the water supply for Aburoc population. SI is also conducting hygiene promotion sessions and constructing blocks of emergency latrines in the camp. SI is applying for other fund to continue the emergency activities in the camp but also to extent the WASH activities to Fashoda and Malakal. Through a project just stating, SI is aiming at improving the livelihood of the vulnerable households, in an area with very high malnutrition rate.
- WASH intervention in Juba (preparedness for epidemics). SI is implementing a CDC funded project in Juba and the surroundings, though an integrated WaSH in Health intervention, aiming at improving the resilience of the communities towards outbreaks. SI has submitted a similar project to ECHO to scale up its response.
- WASH and FSL integrated response in Raja: SI is currently implementing a WASH project in consortium with Alima in Raja county. Likewise, SI implementing a food security project under a CIAA grant in the same areas (in consortium with Alima). The situation in Raja is calm but volatile and the region seems ready for long term fund (opportunities for longer term projects).
The 2020 strategy is to continue along the same angles and it is oriented towards the following 2 axes:
- Ensure access to emergency WaSH and shelter services for vulnerable and acutely vulnerable populations (EP&R team: all around the country)
- Provide the conflict-affected populations of South Sudan with durable and sustainable WASH and FSL support (Raja, Upper Nile, Nyirol county)
The overall budget of the South Sudan mission is circa 2 million USD.
SI coordination is located in Juba and there are 3 operational bases. In total, there are currently 8 expats in the all missions
- Coordination: currently 7 persons in the coordination team
- Raja team: currently 4 expats, 1 FC and 1 log/admin and 2 PM.
- Fashoda: currently 2 expat (1 Head of Office Log/Admin and 1 WASH PM).
ABOUT THE JOB
Key components of the job are:
- Program planning, implementation and monitoring to ensure WASH services to most needy people in Fashoda county as agreed in SI strategy and in the project proposals.
- Access to safe and clean water in Aburoc camp and more in general in Fashoda county
- Construction/Rehabilitation of emergency latrines in Aburoc camp and household latrines in Fashoda to the most vulnerable households
- Geophysical survey to look for long term water solutions in Aburoc
- Borehole drilling (depending on the input of the survey)
- Hygiene and nutrition promotion campaigns in Aburoc camp, Fashoda, Malakal
- Different need assessments/Rapid assessments
- Full participation in the Aburoc Response plan with the other agencies/NGOs and the communities
- Financial planning and budget follow up to ensure successful WASH services delivery in Aburoc camp and in Fashoda County
- Integration and follow up of small scale Livelihood intervention (fishing, etc.)
- Management and capacity building of local team hired for Aburoc Camp, in Fashoda County and in Malakal for the WASH response
- Coordination and representation in the different coordination forums (sub national WASH clusters, bilateral coordination with other NGOs: WVI, DRC, IOM, ICRC, IMC, etc.) and particularly in the Aburoc Response interagency coordination structure
- Support Coordination team and HoM in different policy and security related decision making.
- Provision of WASH technical inputs for Fashoda (WASH focal point for the base) and to the coordination when is it needed
- Reporting of the activities (reports, etc.) and participation to the proposal writing to be submitted to a range of donors (such as OFDA, ECHO, UNICEF, CHF, etc.)
- Support any other project of the mission when needed
Main priorities within the first 3 months of the mission:
- WaSH Emergency response in Fashoda County, including the integration of livelihood activities.
- Follow up of the hydro-geological survey conducted by an external expert and proposition of long term solution with the water supply of Aburoc camp.
- Coordination with the Aburoc Solution coordination groups to discuss about the long term solution for Aburoc IDPs.
- Sc in Civil Engineering/Environmental Engineering/Environmental Science, Geography, water resources or Wash related project management or a relevant field
- At least 2 years of professional experience in the humanitarian environment managing similar projects.
- Proven experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts and insecure environments, with consequent experience in supporting emergency response or early recovery
- Experience in South Sudan is a most
- Significant knowledge and experience of project cycle management,
- Knowledge of the WASH sector with Good technical knowledge (cf. borehole drilling)
- Knowledge on estimation, drawing and design of WaSH infrastructures,
- Team management abilities and cultural awareness,
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills and the ability to multi-task and support and/or fill multiple positions at one time,
- Strong initiative, flexibility and creativity,
- Strong resilience and resistance to stress, difficult living and working conditions,
- Commitment to the job and the organization,
- Knowledge of SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL’s field of expertise and specific tools would be a strong asset
- Fluent English (written, spoken and read), essential for writing reports and for external coordination.
- Knowledge of French and/or Arabic is an asset
- General computer literacy
- Knowledge of technical software (like AutoCad)
- Comprehensive knowledge and very good command of MS Office.
SI is looking for a dedicated and committed staff member, able to work in a remote and isolated location with limited access to services and basic living conditions; but willing 1/ to join a program with high humanitarian and life-saving impact and 2/ actively contribute to the strategic direction of SI’s mission in South Soudan.
SI WILL OFFER YOU
- A salaried post: from 1980 euros gross per month (including 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly)
- Per Diem of 700 USD per month
- R&R: 7 working days every 3 months with a 850 USD contribution by SI. In addition to these regular break, SI adds a day off per worked month. These days off as well as the breaks are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every month with your salary as they are offered by the organization.
- Social and medical cover: Insurance package including coverage of all healthcare expenditures (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
How to apply
For further information about Solidarités International, please check our website: https://www.solidarites.org/
To apply, please send us your CV and Cover letter in English via this link: https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/private/syd_apply.cfm?i…. CV only applications will not be considered.
southsudanJobs.com is the place for jobseekers to find the job of their dreams and for recruiters to advertise their vacancies to find/reach the right candidates.