Senior Project Manager
Based Location: Juba
Number of positions: One (1)
The Senior Project Manager reports to the Programme Manager (Sustainable Livelihoods)
Purpose of the position
S/he will be the technical and operational leader of SSADP II implementation in three counties in South Sudan. S/He will be responsible for ensuring successful implementation of this multi-year project funded by the Netherlands Embassy in South Sudan through providing strategic leadership, technical oversight and direct management field coordinators related to the programme.
Key accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Provide technical and managerial oversight and leadership of the South Sudan Agribusiness Development Project (SSADP) II including support to farmers group, potential MSMEs, financial analysis, business plan generation and revision, market analysis, building market and distribution channels, and accessing finance for SSADP II targets in order to ensure enhanced and diversified agricultural production and processing; improved access and availability of good quality inputs; enhanced output market; increased number of agri-businesses and jobs created, especially for women and youth entrepreneurship, as well as enhancing competitiveness, and investment-readiness among the project’s key value chains.
- Provide strategic reviews and recommendations in relation to enhancing project outcome.
- Lead and manage the full programme cycle: design, planning, implementation, quality and accountability, monitoring and evaluation.
- Strive for exploring effective measures in support of development of small business development, agro-enterprise, micro-finance/banking, and/or livelihoods development.
- Ensure effective planning, implementation and reporting of project activities, contributing to the attainment of project outcomes.
- Devise tools for planning and tracking of progress with regular update. Ensure timely communication with supervisor and donor on changes.
- Ensure project budgets and usage in assigned location are conducted appropriately in accordance with donor commitment and agency guidelines and policies.
- Guide field staff and local partner(s) in assigned location and ensure the project implementation is in line with project objectives and budget and provide necessary support in accordance with donor commitment and agency guidelines and policies.
- Ensure the cross- cutting issues such as climate change adaption and gender mainstreaming are well addressed in the project implementation process.
- Support partner NGO’s capacity building for quality project implementations.
- Regularly communicate with the team and engage team members in key decision making.
- Ensure implementation of the Project M&E framework with support from the technical team.
- Guide field staff on the M&E approach and strategy; lead work related monitoring and evaluation activities of the project in in assigned location.
- Manage the project database (forms, tools, monitoring systems) which track all activities, progress, etc.
- Analyse project data and relevant external data to generate strategic recommendations.
- Document successes, failures, lessons learned, and stories from the field activities.
- Submission of bi-weekly update and monthly report of the project.
- Follow-up with international and local partner(s) to ensure their submission of reports, both narrative and financial, as per stipulated in the MOUs.
- Provide reporting, both narrative and financial, according to donor and Cordaid reporting requirement, templates, standards and deadlines.
- Ensure accountability measures for beneficiaries applied in all projects.
- Ensure accountability of the project activities and standard reporting.
- Promote cross learning for the resilience and food security with local authorities, I/NGOs and relevant stakeholders.
- Constantly identify areas for improvement and provide recommendations.
- Conduct field monitoring and provide technical support and guidance.
- Overview of operations management of Cordaid services among the project areas.
- Ensure team meetings are periodically conducted and be the bridge of two-way communication between Country Office and field team members.
- Manage staff reporting to this position to ensure effective delivery of work and manage the staff performance.
- Impact constant learning and capacity building of the staff in the field and ensure to build on staff skills and proficiency from the gap and needs identified
- Ensure program staff has regular reflection on progress toward goals, and get insights from the field on the effectiveness of the program’s approach
- Ensure all HR functions are performed according to agency policies and regulations (e.g. staff appraisal, leave management, payroll, etc).
- Ensure human resources contractual management is as per the South Sudan Labour Act and the donor programme and budget requirements.
- Ensure full compliance of agency policies and regulations. Ensure smooth accounting workflow in support to projects.
- Conduct monthly review on budget vs actual reports.
- Ensure logistics processes are in full compliance to agency policies and regulations, including procurement, and other aspects of project administration. Ensure constant communication with the logistics focal point in Juba for smooth logistics processes (procurement, transportation, fleet management, accommodation/rental) as per requirement.
- Undertake Cordaid work in a manner that upholds the organisational value and integrity, and dignity and value for beneficiaries. Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in line with the Humanitarian Code of Conduct and related policies (e.g. Anti-Corruption Policy, Code of Conduct Against Sexual Abuse). Enforce the field team observe such policies, so as to ensure field actions will bring credit to Cordaid and not to jeopardize its missions.
- Lead the Consortium members in effective delivery of the project activities with good synergies and coordination, including regular meeting and follow-up.
- Follow the Project-based Working modality in building synergies among experts in the HQ and in Juba.
- Actively participate in NGO, INGO, and UN Cluster/ Working Group meetings at that national level. Coordinate with relevant platforms in promoting synergies, sharing of experience, and promotion of successful modalities.
- Coordinate closely with other Cordaid service units working in the same project location, actively work on synergies across service units.
- As required, prepare project documentations and other materials to develop or promote synergy among teams, and contribute to proposals writing for new projects.
Qualifications and skills
- Master Degree in Agricultural economics, Agribusiness Development, entrepreneurship and / or any other relevant filed of studies
- At least 10 years of experience in agribusiness development, agriculture value chain, enterprise and cooperative developments, and other relevant expertise
- Experience in agribusiness and enterprise development and / or running an agribusiness enterprise is a plus.
- Experience in working and coordinating with international and national partners, government and donor agencies.
- Being strategic and visionary in programme development.
- Proven track record for leading the development of high documents for internal and external communications’ including donor reports.
- Demonstrated experience exploring, managing and strengthening partnerships.
- Excellent analytical and organisational skills – innovative thinker.
- Ability to cope in a challenging environment, or to deal with challenging situations
Further information and how to apply.
Interested and qualifying applicants can submit their application letter including CV in English, copies of birth certificate, National ID and qualification documents, both phone and email contact details of at least 4 professional references, including most recent/current employer/supervisor to the following email email@example.com
Mention the vacancy reference number position in the subject line on the envelops.
CSS01/8/21 Senior Project Manager-Juba.
Deadline for submission is by the 21st August 2021.
Cordaid is an equal opportunities employer and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
An integrity check will be part of the recruitment procedure. All applications submitted cannot be returned.
(Competent South Sudanese Nationals would be given priority)