Senior Programme Policy Officer, P5
South Sudan Jobs ( southsudanJobs.com )
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
You will find our people at the heart of every major humanitarian intervention around the world, providing the essential life-saving foundation required for those furthest behind. Each year, we reach an average of 80 million people with food assistance in around 80 countries. Delivering our mission requires deep respect for personal and cultural differences and close collaboration between every member of our global team. While the 18,000-people working for WFP reflect the rich diversity of the world in which we work, the vital importance of our shared mission underpins a remarkably close community of purpose.
The World Food Programme (WFP) is offering life-changing job opportunities you are unlikely to find in other organizations. Working at WFP will give you the opportunity to work beyond your expectations, to be enriched by truly meaningful work and deepen your professional expertise.
SOUTH SUDAN COUNTRY OFFICE CONTEXT
South Sudan continues to face a political crisis which manifests in part in violent conflict and insecurity associated with an economic crisis and a serious and protracted humanitarian crisis. WFP manages the largest humanitarian response in the country, reaching almost 5 million people in 2019 across all regions of the country. WFP also facilitates access for all other humanitarian agencies through its humanitarian air services and logistics support capacity. WFP programming covers the full range of emergency and recovery interventions, several new innovations in stable areas of the country and covers all modalities of assistance.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
The Senior Programme Policy Officer / Head of Programme Operations reports to the Deputy Country Director (Operations) and is responsible for the following key duties:
• Develop effective country and regional programmes, bringing policies and strategies into the South Sudan country context;
• Coordinate and provide technical leadership for assessments, analysis and to design, formulate, implement and monitor WFP’s food assistance programmes under Country Strategic Plans.
• Provide solid technical and managerial leadership on a broad range of strategically important and complex programme and policy issues including on the choice of objectives, activities, transfer modalities and appropriate food products, the deployment and testing of innovative approaches and the development of strategies to support government efforts to reduce hunger and malnutrition;
• Ensure that programmes are consistent with WFP policies, Executive Board decisions and other Operational Guidance;
• Assist senior stakeholders of governments and other partners in identifying where food assistance can be usefully employed and provide support and technical expertise for the planning, formulation and implementation of food assistance programmes;
• Guide and support a strengthened government and community ownership and effectiveness of food security and nutrition programmes at global, national and sub-national levels;
• Forge and nurture strategic and operational partnerships to improve assistance packages and enhance WFP’s strategic position and to support advocacy work;
• Enhance WFP’s leadership status in different forums on subjects related to food security, nutrition, livelihoods, resilience, engagement in humanitarian, transition and development contexts and other related issues;
• Follow up on the resource situation of projects including commodity and cash availability; Advise on appropriate resource/pipeline tracking tools for this purpose;
• Oversee preparation and dissemination of timely analytical and operational reports and a variety of information products or proposals for internal or external use;
• Promote inter-agency collaboration and encourage information exchange to support complementary strategies; identify potential areas for collaborative approaches and initiatives;
• Contribute to Country Office Emergency Preparedness i.e. early warning, risk analysis, and contingency planning in order to respond to humanitarian crises and needs;
• Lead, motivate and develop a large and complex team of professionals to enable high performance while providing technical guidance in their work;
• Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
• Perform other related duties as required.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• At least 11 years (4 of which international) of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience, both in the field and Headquarters, in public sector management, development projects, emergency assistance, and/or operational aspects of national, bilateral or multilateral food aid or commercial transactions;
• Strong experience formulating, designing and developing Country Strategic Plans and programme strategies and activities in a humanitarian and transition contexts, drawing upon a full range of food assistance tools and translating them into implementation modalities and operations;
• Leadership experience in building and managing teams and projects.
• University degree, preferably at the advanced level, in Economics, International Affairs, Nutrition/Heath, Agriculture, Environmental Sciences, Social Sciences or a field relevant to international development assistance.
• Fluency (level C) in English language.
• Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS
TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
• Familiarity with planning and implementing resilience programming and capacity building at national and sub-national levels;
• Familiarity with interagency cluster system;
• Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Project, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and other standard office software packages and systems;
• Knowledge of WFP nutrition policies and their application at field level is an asset;
• General knowledge of UN system policies rules, regulations and procedures governing administration is desirable.
• Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills;
• Demonstrated ability to build and lead a team and creating an enabling work environment;
• Strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to gain the assistance and cooperation of others in a team endeavour;
• Strong strategic partnering, positioning and negotiation skills to develop cooperation and collaboration frameworks and programmes with non-traditional donors and financial institutions and to work effectively with the host government, other UN agencies and NGOs in a post conflict and transitional context;
• Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The selected candidate will be eligible for the Rest and Recuperation (R&R) scheme. He/she may be required to travel, sometimes to remote and difficult locations.
The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year. WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more details please visit icsc.un.org
How to apply
Please apply directly at: https://bit.ly/WFPProgrameP5Juba
southsudanJobs.com is the place for jobseekers to find the job of their dreams and for recruiters to advertise their vacancies to find/reach the right candidates.