Senior Management and Programme Analyst
Management and Analysis
Job Opening Number
20-Management and Analysis-UNMISS-146919-R- (M)
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Business Analytics and Compliance Section (BACS) of United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) in Juba. Juba is classified as an “E” hardship duty station and a non-family duty station. The Senior Management and Programme Analyst will work under the direct supervision of the Chief, Operations and Resources Management (CORM) and under the general guidance of the Director of Mission Support (DMS).
Within delegated authority, the Senior Management and Programme Analyst will be responsible for the following duties:
1. On a regular basis, conduct critical information/data analysis related to all aspects of the Mission Support Division (MSD) operations and provide consolidated management reports to Mission Senior Management for purpose decision making;
2. Ensure Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) are compiled and updated on a regular basis and report corporate and mission Specific Mission Senior Management;
3. Provide macro-level analysis to MSD Senior Management on efficiency and financial gains as per the Global Service Delivery Model (GSDM) strategy, process improvement, reporting on enhanced delegation and related de-centralization of decision processes and delivery of services etc.;
4. Provide proposals and suggestions to CORM and DMS on improving and simplification of business processes;
5. Coordinate and Liaise with counterparts in the Business and Transformation and Accountability Division (BTAD) in the Department of Management, Strategy, Policy and Compliance (DMSPC) and the Department of Operational Support (DOS) in initiating and implementing business process improvement projects (e.g. UMOJA (SAP) implementation, IPSAS) and ensuring pertinent staff training and capacity building events take place in a timely manner;
8. Research, analyze and present information gathered from diverse sources and develop, implement, monitor and evaluate assigned programmes/projects, etc.;
9. Review relevant documents and reports, identifying problems and issues to be addressed and initiate corrective actions in liaison with pertinent offices within the Mission as well as at the UNHQ, ensuring follow-up actions;
10. Coordinate actions related to Mission-wide audit responses, guiding on quality and timeliness of responses and ensure implementation of audit recommendations;
11. Provide oversight on information management including Mail and Pouch, Compliance matters, Organizational Resilience Management System issues and the Business Continuity Plan within mission support;
12. Lead change management initiatives, environmental compliance and occupational safety and health initiatives;
13. Act as the focal point in MSD in compiling best practices and proposing new and innovative work processes to streamline UNMISS operations;
14. Supervise Business Analytics and Compliance Section (BACS) staff;
15. Manage the development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, leading to the preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies as applicable aimed at improving mission business performance;
16. Generate survey initiatives, designing data collection tools, reviewing, analyzing and interpreting responses, identifying problems/issues and preparing conclusions;
17. Produce and review as may be required, standard operating procedures (SOPs), Mission Directives, policy guidance and instructions related to Mission Support operations;
18. Perform other duties as required.
Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to provide technical advice in a broad range of human resources, financial and administrative areas; Shows ability to lead change management initiatives and ERP implementation; demonstrates knowledge and understanding of application of IPSAS standards, . Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning and organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
Vision: Identifies strategic issues, opportunities and risks; clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals; generates and communicates broad and compelling organizational direction, inspiring others to pursue that same direction; conveys enthusiasm about future possibilities.
Advanced University Degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Business Administration, Logistics, Finance, Economics, Supply Chain Management or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible experience in service/programme delivery analysis, administration and finance in developing and/or post conflict countries is required.
- Experience in Change Management, management of audits, governance and oversight functions is required.
- Experience in project management, data analysis and drafting of corporate reports is required.
- Experience in use of Enterprise Resource Planning software is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
Extension of the appointment is subject to Extension of the mandate and/or the availability of the funds.
Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
The UNMISS is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.