Senior Data Analyst and GIS/Information Management Specialist, USAID/South Sudan Monitoring and Evaluation Support Project
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Support Project (MESP) provides USAID/South Sudan with flexible, demand-driven technical, analytic, advisory, training, monitoring, evaluation, and related support services for performance measurement. The project includes monitoring and evaluation technical support to the Mission for performance management at all levels as well as support to assessments, analytical research, and related services required for new project designs, sector strategies, and broader strategic revisions.
**Please note: Only South Sudanese citizens are eligible for this position**
The Senior Data Analyst and GIS/Information Management Specialist will work together with the Data Utilization and Reporting Specialist under the direct supervision of the Deputy Chief of Party to support the MESP field team. The Senior Data Analyst and GIS/Information Management Specialist will create cartographic and visualization products, assist in the compilation and management of geospatial data, and conduct geospatial analysis for inclusion in reports, presentations and online dashboards.
- Work with the Third-Party Monitor (TPM) Team to clean monitoring data and facilitate the collection of geo-location data
- Create cartographic products using data collected for TPM, evaluations, studies, and assessments
- Define requirements and construct data visualizations for client use using an open source business intelligence tool
- Support capacity building on GIS applications, particularly to mentor the who eventually will respond to GIS needs in the absence of the Senior Data Analyst and GIS/Information Management Specialist
- Assist in tool development, deployment, and data management for third-party monitoring (TPM) activities and surveys using mobile data collection tools and online survey systems
Data Collection and Analysis:
- Compile geographic data such as vector, raster, satellite imagery from a variety of sources including censuses, TPM field observation, aerial photographs, and existing maps and other data sources to create maps for the Mission
- Process Satellite/Aerial Imagery using Remote Sensing Technologies, i.e., geo-referencing, image processing and analysis and feature extraction
- Analysis and triangulation of geospatial data from IPs and other donors to develop visualization and infographic products for USAID projects; FFP, OFDA, Education, Health, EG, and D&G.
- Analyze geographic relationships among varying types of data
- Work alongside the Mission’s Monitoring and Evaluation Specialists to track and document progress on all the Mission’s performance indicators towards the achievement of Intermediate Results (IRs) and Development Objectives (Dos) that make up the Mission’s Strategic Results Framework
- Coordinate with USAID IPs to fill out data gaps and data discrepancy
- Support the program team to ensure that technical narrative reports have graphic enhancements such as charts, graphs that relay data and its analysis, photos and other visual aids
Database and Knowledge Management:
- Archive mission geographic data and maintain the geo-database
- Responsible for managing all processes and outputs related to MESP GIS, products and data, as well as information management systems, including web applications such as the Mission’s CLA platform and fulcrum
- Be the Point of Contact (POC) on all matters related to USAID/ South Sudan’s CLA platform; facilitate user-surveys, respond to the Mission’s needs on the platform for optimal use.
- Operate and maintain GIS system hardware, software and plotter
- Maintain and manage GIS devices and data collection equipment Inventory
- Provide support and recommendations and implementation of GIS best practices on Monitoring and Evaluation Systems
- Providing technical IT support to the field monitors and CMs on data collection
- Undergraduate degree in Geography, Social Sciences or in an applied quantitative discipline such as data Science, computer science, or related field is required; Master’s degree or equivalent is preferred
- A minimum of five years of professional-level experience in conducting geospatial analysis, managing geospatial data and cartographic production skills are required
- Communication, organizational representation and coordination, time management, qualitative and analytical skills with ability to communicate technical information clearly and effectively with professionals required
- Practical experience of ESRI’s ArcGIS Desktop and QGIS
- Oral and written proficiency in English required
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
MSI is dedicated to hiring an inclusive workforce. If you would like to request reasonable accommodations during the application process, please email MSI.Dept.HRRecruiting@tetratechinc.onmicrosoft.com with “Reasonable Accommodations” in the title. Our recruitment team looks forward to engaging in an interactive process to provide reasonable accommodations for candidates.