SBC/Human-Centered Design Officer
Overview of position
Our client is currently recruiting for a Social and Behavior Change/Human-Centered Design Officer for a USAID-funded social and behavior change (SBC) mission buy-in in South Sudan. The project is part of USAID’s global SBC initiative, Breakthrough ACTION.
Breakthrough ACTION is a five-year cooperative agreement funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to lead their social behavior change (SBC) programming around the world. Breakthrough ACTION is a partnership led by our client for Communication Programs (CCP) in collaboration with Save the Children, ThinkPlace, ideas42, Camber Collective, International Center for Research on Women, and Viamo. The project works in partnership with governments, civil society and communities to implement creative and sustainable SBC programming, nurture SBC champions, mainstream new techniques and technologies and advocate for strategic and sustained investment in SBC.
In South Sudan, Breakthrough Action will focus their efforts on family planning, maternal and child health, and water, sanitation and hygiene through innovative evidence-based SBC interventions. In addition, Breakthrough Action will support capacity strengthening for SBC of key stakeholders in their ability to design, implement, and evaluate SBC activities.
The SBC/Human-Centred Design (HCD) Officer will provide technical guidance and capacity strengthening for SBC to the project in the application of HCD approaches in the design and roll out of high-quality SBC interventions, especially discovery, definition, and design activities. They should have knowledge in HCD, communication theory, behavioural economics, and user experience (UX) design. This position requires travel in South Sudan.
Key Responsibilities & Tasks:
· Serve as the HCD/BE expert lead and, technical authority for Breakthrough ACTION South Sudan
· Work with the research team and other team members to conceptualize, design and conduct immersive, participatory, empathetic ethnographic qualitative research. Coordinate HCD research and operations across the project’s intermediate result areas.
· Triangulate findings from primary and secondary research including those from HCD research, as well as from other data sources, like literature reviews, baseline surveys, synthesize learnings into crisp insights that set the direction for the design of new SBC solutions and interventions.
· Develop journey maps and personas based on insights from research.
· Lead idea generation (ideation) sessions with Breakthrough ACTION staff, implementing partners (IP), Ministry of Health (MOH), creative agencies, community-based organizations (CBO) and other project stakeholders.
· Co-create and test prototypes of increasing levels of fidelity through iterative cycles of design.
· Support creative agencies and consultants to interpret insights from research, ideation sessions and other HCD processes in order to design materials, approaches and or SBC interventions that respond to the needs of the target audiences.
· Develop and implement an HCD capacity strengthening plan for Breakthrough ACTION staff, IPs, MoH, CBOs and other project stakeholders.
· Share new and creative ideas, embrace ambiguity, be optimistic, and create innovations rooted in people’s actual needs to explore lots of different possibilities for prototypes and solutions.
· Review HCD information for feasibility and adherence to project objectives.
· Stay up to date on UX trends in South Sudan to provide specific direction and solutions to complex problems.
· Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
This role reports to the Senior SBC Advisor.
• Master’s degree in any of the following; public health, epidemiology, biostatistics research methods, design, communication or behavioural science with relevance to SBC programming, research, monitoring and evaluation or Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience above.
• A minimum of three (3) years of experience in a programming, performance monitoring and/or evaluation role with an international development organization.
• Previous experience of working for SBC/SBCC or health communication programs is an added advantage.
• South Sudanese national.
• Oral and written fluency in English.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Minimum of three (3) years of UX experience in an agile delivery environment supporting incremental development of high-quality, fully tested approaches over short periods.
• Minimum of three (3) years of experience eliciting requirements and synthesizing information from multiple sources to design rich customer experiences.
• Proficiency with design and presentation applications (i.e. Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator)
• Have a strong grasp of research methods and data analysis, both quantitative and qualitative.
• Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal, and collaboration skills.
• Possession of excellent leadership skills to be used for consensus building and mentoring.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Knowledge and demonstrated experience applying UX methods and tools including low and high-fidelity prototyping, and moderated and unmoderated user testing.
• Ability to interpret research insights into design solutions and design improvements, with an understanding of user empathy, voice of the customer, and organizational context and constraints.
• Comfortable interacting with key stakeholders and acting as the voice of the customer.
• Self-starter that can work under minimum direction in a highly collaborative, team-based environment
• Has a passion for problem-solving and believing that all problems are solvable.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
This role has no team management responsibility.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate & apply for this role using this link: