RMMAC WAM / AT Adviser,
Position title: RMMAC WAM / AT Adviser
Place of performance: Juba, periodic deployment to multiple locations, South Sudan
Apply by: 31/01/2021
Start date: 01/02/2021
Duration: up to 1 year 5 months (@26days/month)
Qualification: Certificate in Ammunition Inspection (in line with Level 5, IATG 01.90) & EOD 3+ (or equivalent) is desirable OR Ammunition Manager certification (in line with Level 4, IATG 01.90) may be considered, if able to demonstrate progressive positions & experience.
Sector experience: Minimum of 5 years of demonstrable relevant Mine Action experience.
Geographical experience: Minimum of 5 year of experience in Africa (desirable).
Language: Fluency in English is essential.
CTG OverviewCTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements. In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Overview of position
- Position title: Ammunition Management Officer.
- Place of performance: Multiple locations (UN camps across South Sudan).
- Qualification: Ammunition Inspector or equivalent; Ammunition Manager qualification may be considered if able to demonstrate progressive positions / experience.
- Sector experience: Minimum of 5 years of demonstrable relevant experience in the Military & / or commercial sector or NGO.
- Geographical experience: Experience working in Africa is desirable.
- Language: Fluency in English (oral and written) is required.
- Remuneration: $11,000 per calendar month plus economy class travel for scheduled leave flight.
- Work Cycle: Normally 9 weeks on, 3 weeks off (or 11 weeks on, 4 weeks off due to Covid-19 restrictions).
Role objectivesThe AM Officer’s primary responsibility shall be to support the UNMAS program & ultimately UNMISS mission in South Sudan, in the field of ammunition management of the UN Troop / Police Contributing Countries (T / PCC), as directed by the UNMAS senior management. The ownership with regards to routine disposal of T / PCC unserviceable ammunition shall remain with UNMAS’s operations department. S / He shall be responsible for the provision & implementation of the following main duties:
- Work closely with & provide support to the UNMAS senior management with regards to any WAM projects.
- Assist & advise the UN mission by working closely with & reporting to the Weapons & Ammunition Management Unit (WAMU) & mission Senior Ammunition Technical Officer (SATO), monitoring the storage arrangements of UN T / PCC units across South Sudan, assess the serviceability of ammunition held & make recommendations for the amelioration of storage conditions.
- Conduct regular or targeted inspections of the T / PCC ammunition storage facilities as agreed with mission SATO.
- Conduct other activities as agreed with mission SATO, such as (the list not exhaustive):
- Ensure interaction & maintain close & effective coordination with relevant T / PCCs on the strengthening of ammunition management capacities & risks posed by explosive hazards.
- Provide advisory support & technical assistance for capacity assessment elements of T / PCC military units.
- Provide advisory support & technical assistance to relevant T / PCC units in matters of information management.
- Conduct formal training to T / PCC forces or contracted training personnel.
- Provide mentorship to selected T / PCC & national military personnel as part of formal training validation & on the job training.
- Where applicable, provide advice to the UNMAS, to ensure proper storage of explosives in accordance with national & international guidelines.
- Stay abreast of the International Ammunition Technical Guidelines (IATG’s).
- Provide advice & input into the development of strategic & procedural documents related to ammunition management, in support to project.
- When requested, act as the Investigating Officer for detailed independent investigations or boards of inquiry for mine / EO accidents or incidents.
- Develop, conduct training & manage the quality of training on explosives management & explosive threat mitigation as required.
- Advise the program on explosive issues including harvesting of in country ammunition for use in ammunition disposal operations, incineration of suitable stocks & pursue the introduction of binary explosives into our client.
- Provide training to the UNMAS operations personnel to conducting stock checks in T / PCC Ammunition Storage Areas (ASAs).
- Perform any other tasks as directed by the UNMAS Program Manager & Chief of Operations.
This role reports to the line manager.
Additional competencies: – Experience in capacity building is desired. – Experience with training foreign nationals in mine clearance or EOD techniques is desired. – Experience with ammunition of various origins (i.e. Russian, Chinese, Indian) & types is desired. – Experience in conducting security analysis & risk assessments is desired. – Knowledge of the UN system is desired. – Conversancy with MOSAIC & ISACS standards is desired. – Computer literacy, experience of using MS Office & IMSMA is desired. Certifications: – Certified Ammunition Inspector (in line with Level 5, IATG 01.90) or equivalent is required. – Ammunition Manager certification (in line with Level 4, IATG 01.90) may be considered instead, if able to demonstrate progressive positions / experience. – Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Level 3 plus (or equivalent) is desirable. – Any other relevant certifications will be considered additional quality & suitability for the position. Team management
This role does not have any team management responsibility.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.