Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.
Abt Associates is currently seeking a qualified Regional Director for the upcoming USAID/South Sudan Increasing Resilience through Agriculture (ICRA) Activity. The goal of this project is to establish a multi-sectoral agriculture system that emphasizes functioning agriculture markets, food productivity, livestock farming, community capacity building, rural livelihoods, better nutrition – all of which will increase farming communities’ resilience in the face of shocks. South Sudan is facing threats to food security and malnutrition, which has been exacerbated in the advent of COVID-19. Efforts to increase resilience to help the country better respond to multiple crises and threats, including conflict, economic decline, natural disasters, plant pests, human and animal diseases remain critical.
Under the supervision of the Chief of Party, the Regional Director will provide leadership and management oversight to technical activities in state and/or regional offices to achieve project goals. This position will require frequent travel to states where the program is being implemented. The activity will work in the following states: Jonglei, Eastern Equatoria, Western Bahr El Ghazal, Upper Nile, and Unity.
The position will be located in Juba, South Sudan. The position is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Oversee the technical and administrative operations of sub-regional offices.
- Provide technical and administrative oversight for the implementation of a results-oriented program strategy regionally and in specific states.
- Act as a member of the Senior Management Team, with input into strategy, work plans, reviews, and program communications.
- Facilitate collaboration across program components and with advisors to ensure implementation of activities in each state.
- Assist project teams to develop and implement innovative approaches.
- Assist in strategic annual work planning of regional activities and ensure that quality operational plans, budgets, and reports are submitted as per contract agreements.
- Provide input to the project’s research and monitoring and evaluation activities and work with Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning team to incorporate lessons learned to enhance project results.
- Provide input to regular status and progress reports to USAID.
- Provide inputs to the finance and administration team necessary for project budget projections, expenditures, tracking and reporting.
- Collaborate actively with project staff and stakeholders and promote a culture of collaboration within the project.
- Ensure that lessons learned and best practices are documented and shared.
- Travel frequently to sub-regional offices for compliance, training, and tracking consistency across implementation activities.
- Master’s degree in management, international development, business administration, community development, or a related field with 10-12 years of professional experience
- Or Bachelor’s degree in management, international development, business administration, community development, or a related field with 12-14 years of professional experience.
- At least 5 years’ experience managing the implementation of field-level activities, including working with district government officials and local civil society/community-based organizations within South Sudan, preferred if in any of the states: Jonglei, Eastern Equatoria, Western Bahr El Ghazal, Upper Nile, Unity.
- Strong management and planning skills of project tasks and budgets.
- Demonstrated team building and team management leading to high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner.
- Experience working with international development organizations in South Sudan required; USAID experience highly preferred.
- Excellent writing skills required.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication and computer skills.
- Verbal and written fluency in English.
- South Sudan nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- (10+) years of experience and a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.