Quality Improvement Manager
About the role
Crown Agents is looking to appoint a Quality Improvement Manager for an exciting project. Health Pooled Fund South Sudan (HPF3) is a five-year, multi-donor programme led by the British Government’s Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office (FCDO) and including the Government of Canada, the Swedish International Development and Cooperation Agency (SIDA), the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), GAVI – The Vaccine Alliance and the European Union (EU). HPF3 began in October 2018 and will end in October 2023.
The programme impact will be an improved health and nutrition status for the population that saves lives and reduces morbidity (including maternal, infant and under-5 mortality), and has the following three principal outcomes:
- Improved health and nutrition services for the population, especially women and children;
- Improved community engagement and accountability of health services;
- Stabilisation of local health systems.
The Quality Improvement Manager is a core cross-department function who will provide leadership in quality improvement and facilitate the quality improvement process. Under the direct supervision of the Team Leader, the incumbent will work closely with the M&E team, Fund Management team and Technical team to provide a holistic analysis of programme performance.
- Work with the IP Managers to ensure that IPs are carrying out Quality of Care (QoC) assessments
- Report any problems found in the QoC tool to the M&E team and support their resolution
- Analyse IP QoC scores and work with the Verification Manager to ensure spot-checks are carried out
- Work to develop a strategy and technical plan, QoC toolkit and standards for quality improvement interventions in hospitals, PHCCs and PHCUs.
- Lead the development and implementation of quality improvement approaches and tools in alignment with Ministry of Health guidelines and in consideration of existing quality efforts in South Sudan.
- Coordinate the development of standard operating procedures for quality assurance with inputs from various departments of health at each level of government, users of health services, public health officials, development partners, health care organizations and health training institutes
- Advise on best practices and innovative approaches to improve quality of care in hospitals and increasingly PHCCs and PHCUs.
- Capture and apply lessons learned and document success stories for reporting and sharing amongst implementing partners
- Analyse any variance between IP QoC scores and verified scores to inform the Verification Manager when a full verification is needed
- Work closely with the IP Managers to communicate when IPs are failing to carry out QoC assessments or when there are a large number of variances
- Assume responsibility of facilitating the quality improvement process
- Ensure that each responsible person for the IP deliverables input into the quality improvement logframe and dashboard
- Organise and facilitate the Quality Improvement meeting
- Participate in IP Monitoring Meetings and ensure feedback from the Quality Improvement Meeting is communicated and incorporated in IP Action Plans
- Work closely with Verification Manager and IP Managers to update the Quality Improvement dashboard
- Any other tasks or responsibilities based on organizational or programming needs as assigned by the line manager
Qualifications and Essential Experience:
- Must be medically qualified (e.g.degree in Medicine, Nursing) with additional Master’s level degree in health-related discipline also advantageous
- Extensive relevant experience improving the quality of care in Maternal, Newborn and Child Health, Family Planning, and Nutrition projects in a Senior Management role
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in the design, implementation and monitoring of health care projects in developing countries including at least five years in development cooperation projects;
- Extensive experience working and delivering results in fragile and conflict-affected states (previous experience working in South Sudan strongly preferred)
- Experience managing and implementing large, multi-donor funded projects, with an understanding of various donor compliance requirements
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with team and partner organizations to achieve results
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent written and spoken English; strong report writing skills and experience
- Previous working experience integrated health project programming in South Sudan or other fragile states
- Understanding of maternal, newborn, child health, family planning, nutrition, and other health related issues in the South Sudan context.
- Experience working with Non-Governmental Organizations
You’ll be working with Crown Agents which is a high impact social enterprise passionate about transforming the future for millions of people. Since our creation in 1833 we have worked across the globe to improve public services and drive economic growth. Our expertise is finding new solutions to difficult problems for clients in the areas of health, governance, economic growth, humanitarian action and supply chain services. We work with and train leaders at local, national and international level to achieve lasting change drawing on our insight and experience.
Crown Agents is committed to diversity and will promote diversity for all candidates at all times as well as a business culture that reflects that belief. Crown Agents will treat everyone equally irrespective of race, religion, colour, sex, age, national origin, disability or sexual orientation, and places an obligation upon all staff to respect and act in accordance with the policy. Crown Agents shall not discriminate unlawfully when deciding which candidates are selected for interview, or in any terms of employment, and will ensure that each candidate is assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the role. Crown Agents is committed to being an organisation enhanced by diversity and encourages applications from anyone who shares our values and commitment to improving the lives of communities affected by poverty or conflict.
About what’s on offer
Crown Agents offers a competitive benefits package.