Project Support Manager
South Sudan Jobs Southsudanjobs.com
Role & Responsibilities
Support of the Jonglei projects-based staff and for the general support to Medair facilities in Jonglei and ensures that the project continues to run effectively in terms of supplies, storage and base management. This role oversees Human Resources, Finance and Logistics.
Jonglei State is affected by multiple humanitarian crises including inter-communal violence, displacement, food insecurity, flooding, and locusts. In accordance with its humanitarian mandate, Medair plans to open a new static site to provide emergency health, nutrition, and WASH interventions in Jonglei State. The new project team will be tasked with completing needs assessments in two counties, finalizing the areas and sectors of intervention and scaling up emergency response over an initial two-year cycle.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position is based in Jonglei State, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
September 2020. Full time, 12 to 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Project and Base Setup
- Facilitate mapping of infrastructure and resources and support the logistics functions of the assessment teams in the targeted counties. Identify a location and establish a static base with office and residence facilities.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs) in the new location.
- Facilitate setup of base, residence, communications, fleet, and security services in new base location.
- Meet the logistics and administrative policy requirements of Medair, donors, local legislation, suppliers, contractors and any other stakeholders, thereby ensuring policy adherence resulting in accountability, efficiency and integrity.
- Oversee functions of the warehouse, and be accountable for stock management for all projects.
- Manage the maintenance and quality control of any construction work of the Medair base and residence.
- Provide required information to the Finance team in Juba with relevant managers, review, develop and implement systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud within finance and logistics.
- Carry-out regular inspections and spot-checks, both on systems and on-going work, to ensure the best use of Medair assets and resources.
- Manage and oversee the logistics and base support staff, including recruitment, day-to-day management, staff development and training, appraisal, through providing focal point link to human resources.
- Hold regular team meetings with the support staff, reviewing team and individual objectives and ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work.
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of applicable activities and requirements.
- Support the development of Security Risk Assessments and Security Plans for interventions in new project areas.
- Monitor security situation for teams traveling to field locations, gathering information from various sources and feeding back important information to the Project Coordinator and Medair management.
- Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
Project Support Management
- Ensure the smooth running of the project base, including line managing staff, to ensure the effective running of the compound and facilities.
- Supervise all financial activities to ensure all cash management needs, reporting deadlines, salary payments are timely and internal and external audit requirements are met.
- Ensure all internal financial controls & documentation are in place and that Medair & donor guidelines are followed.
- Supervise the HR function in areas such as recruitment, induction, training, appraisals, and disciplinary action.
- Ensure all national and international legal requirements relating to recruitment and employment are adhered to, including contracts, statutory deductions, record keeping and archiving.
- Ensure accurate and efficient procedures are maintained in logistics, particularly in the areas of procurement, storage / warehousing / inventories and transportation.
- Work with Project Managers and the Project Coordinator in the development of budgets for support and costs.
- Manage and track expenditure of the project site General budget by ensuring spending is in accordance with time frames and adjust spending if required.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Degree in relevant subject such as Logistics / Management / Business Administration or equivalent professional / technical qualification. Security management training desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position, preferably in a relief environment.
- Overseas work experience, preferably with a relief and rehabilitation NGO desirable.
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Good negotiation skills. Problem solving ability.
- Advanced project management skills. Committed to consultative and servant leadership.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
- Able to cope with basic living conditions in the field and during field trips.
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values
- Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices
- Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
southsudanJobs.com is the place for jobseekers to find the job of their dreams and for recruiters to advertise their vacancies to find/reach the right candidates.