Project Director & Country Representative
Project Director For an Anticipated Seed Sector Development Project &
IFDC South Sudan Country Representative (Juba) –
IFDC South Sudan
The International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) anticipates starting a seed sector development program in January 2021 that will provide market-oriented interventions to support the establishment of a commercial, sustainable, and adaptive agriculture sector in South Sudan. The project will ensure the availability of improved seed down to the last-mile through agri-entrepreneurship and support existing private sector seed companies to improve seed and input marketing, distribution and production practices. The project will support the emergence of individual commercial seed producers, who produce for the local market, as out grower for a seed company, or both. The anticipated project will be implemented in collaboration with KIT, Royal Tropical Institute with funding from the Netherlands Embassy.
The project will support commercialization of the seed sector through the following four Result Areas (RAs):
- Commercial Quality Seed Production focuses on ensuring efficient, high quality and economically viable seed production, sales and distribution tailored for market-oriented smallholder farmers;
- Quality Seed Use, Good Agricultural Practices and climate resilient farming practices among smallholder farmers results from tailored sales and distribution strategies provided by seed companies and commercial seed producers;
- Quality Seed, Input and Output Marketing and Distribution through the establishment of last-mile input distribution and effective seed, input and output market relationships which improve local competitiveness through agribusiness development, women empowerment, and youth employment;
- Learning and Capacity Development supports the above result areas together with targeted research to address bottlenecks, support adaptive project management and advance knowledge on seed sector development.
IFDC is seeking recruitment for a Project Director & IFDC South Sudan Country Representative who will be responsible for overall leadership, financial management, and general technical direction of programming. The Project Director will ensure an integrated vision between the project, donor and project partners and stakeholders, while focusing on achieving the results as defined in the proposal, project agreement, and subsequent Annual Work Plans as approved by the donor.
Functions and Responsibilities of the Project Director & Country Representative
- Ensure daily management of the project, including financial management and project staff
- Prepare work plans and annual Budgets of the Project according to the timelines stipulated in the contract between IFDC and the donor
- Develop narrative and financial progress reports for the donor according to the timelines stipulated in the contract between IFDC and the donor
- Coordinate the recruitment of Project staff and coordinate/supervise their daily activities
- Provide leadership to external communication of the Project
- Prepare terms of reference/scopes of work for activities implemented by subcontracting with partners
- Conduct recruitment of partner Organizations
- Monitor progress, narrative and progress reporting of subcontracted Partner Organizations
- Monitor activities of technical staff implemented by IFDC: seed marketing, seed entrepreneurship support, co-investment with seed companies; develop brand of varieties etc.
- Maintain day-to-day relationship with the donor as it relates to project activities
- Maintain day-to-day relationship with other key actors (Dutch-funded and other) as it relates to project activities
- Develop monthly progress reports for the Ministry of Agriculture and Partner Organizations
- Coordinate implementation of the project with Ministry of Agriculture and Partner Organizations
- Coordinate collaboration with project partners.
- Any other activities as assigned by the IFDC Regional Director East and Southern Africa.
- Identify and channel new business opportunities to the IFDC Regional Director, East and Southern Africa.
- Serve as Country Representative for IFDC in South Sudan
- The Project Director & Country Representative reports to the Regional Director, East and Southern Africa or his/her designee
- At least 3 year’s experience successfully leading the management of complex, results based, international rural agricultural development programming (implementation, logistics, budget, staffing) as Senior Technical staff of a larger project, Team Leader, Chief of Party or Project Director
- Familiarity with the project management and reporting requirements of donors preferably Netherlands Government/Embassies. Otherwise previous experience with donors such as EU, USAID or the UN system will be required.
- Experience working in East Africa preferably South Sudan
- Master’s degree in agriculture or related field required.
- Demonstrated experience with market development in fragile contexts
- Demonstrated ability in the concepts, principles, methods and techniques of market-oriented seed sector development activities, including training, capacity building, agribusiness development extension services and the technical activities mentioned above in fragile, conflict-sensitive development contexts
- Demonstrated experience in seed marketing, seed entrepreneurship support, co-investment with seed companies; development of brands for seed varieties etc.
- Demonstrated skills in effectively collaborating with host governments, regional institutions, donors, UN agencies, Netherlands Embassies and development partner projects, local organizations, private companies and other partners.
- Ability to successfully manage and develop staff as demonstrated by past experience.
- Ability to manage partners, sub-contracts and grant making programs with all required reporting requirements
- Ability to perform internal control functions to manage day-to-day operations of the project
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally in small audience and large audience settings.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required
- Ability to travel in South Sudan and East and Southern Africa.
- This position is open to international and national (South Sudan) applicants