PROGRAMME MANAGER KAPOETA, EASTERN EQUATORIA – SOUTH SUDAN
CCM (Comitato Collaborazione Medica) is an Italian NGO operating in Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan and Uganda, specialized in health-related projects’ implementation, either in humanitarian and development contexts. CCM has conducted several interventions in South Sudan since 1983, working mainly in Warrap, Lakes States and Eastern Equatoria. CCM supports local health institutions to manage Hospitals, Primary Health Care Centers (PHCCs) and Primary Health Care Units (PHCUs) in 5 counties of the above mentioned States, in order to improve primary and secondary health care services and contribute to meet the MoH priority targets, according to the national health strategies.
CCM is committed to (i) ensure the emergency response to the current humanitarian crisis; and (ii) preserve the already fragile health system from a possible deterioration and collapse due to the humanitarian crisis.
For further information on the organization, please visit the website at www.ccm-italia.org.
Location: Kapoeta (Eastern Equatoria)
Contract duration: 12 months, renewable
Start date of contract: ASAP
Closing date for applications: 21/03/2021
Salary: Between 3.500 to 4.500 USD per month, depending on the experience
Benefits according to CCM country policy:
- Food and accommodation provided by CCM;
- Country medical cover in SSD and only for CCM staff (no family members);
- 2,5 leave days per month, plus 10 days of R&R every 10 consecutive weeks in the country;
- 600 USD per every R&R schedule to cover for flight/taxi outside of SSD.
Duties and Responsibilities
Aims and general characteristics
The Programme Manager is responsible for the correct implementation of Programme activities carried out at the Hospital and County levels and their financial and administrative management according to the procedures decided by CCM and by the contracts signed by the Donors (mainly Health Pooled Fund).
He/she will report to the Operation Manager and collaborate with him/her to plan activities, prepare the budget and monitor progress. He/she will collaborate with the Health Technical Officer (at Juba level) who will support technically in all the health-related activities.
Here below the details of main tasks assigned to the Programme Manager grouped by management areas:
Project management and implementation:
- Oversee the programmes implementation at the field level liaising with the technical teams and all counterparts at local and county levels to ensure the compliance of the different project work plans
- Ensure the design and updating of detailed work plans and reporting formats of the projects following the donors and CCM’s requirements and in strict coordination with the different teams
- Monitor and report on the implementation – output, timeline, finance, and quality – of the project, and recommend solutions to both the technical and administrative supervisors where required
- Ensure the correct utilization of the budget of all projects implemented in his area of competence, the allocation of expenses to the proper budget lines consistently with the official documents and donor rules
- Prepare and regularly update the CCM administrative tools (monthly purchase requisition form, revision of BFU, procurement plan, fund request, cash control and reconciliation, etc.) in strict coordination with the dedicated Administrative Staff
- Ensure the development of new project proposals through the elaboration of assessment and the collection, evaluation and analysis of health data in line with CCM strategy in the country
- Manage team and provide relevant capacity building and on-the-job coaching to the project team
- Conduct weekly and monthly meetings with the team to review the planning and discuss the main concerns to focus on for the upcoming period
- Ensure use of correct/relevant forms for reporting by the team
- Ensure fluent chain of information/data transfer from field to supervisors
- Ensure timely processing of information/data and conduct coaching for teams on the analysis of the processed data
- Continuous/fast verification of data quality collected and received from field staff
- Undertake (if security situation allows) field visits to provide technical guidance and supervision to the team and to monitor the progress and quality of the different project activities
- Communicate and coordinate with Deputy Country Representative/Operation Manager on updates, bottlenecks rising during the implementation of the projects for appropriate resolution
- Ensure the finalization of the interim and final financial reports following the procedure agreed
- Ensure the capitalization of the experiences made during the project and cooperate in the sharing of the identified best practices.
- Represent CCM in the working relationship with the counterparts at County and local levels in order to ensure a smooth implementation of the project
Financial management and Procurement:
- Prepare, monitor and implement financial and procurement plan
- Prepare weekly/monthly liquidity plan
- Approval of all purchases/contracting and budget line allocations
- Verify on a weekly basis the bookkeeping entries in the CCM accounting spread sheets: verify budget line allocations, budget expenditure status against actual delivery and the financial plan for the remainder project implementation period
- Ensure for all purchases/contracting of goods/services/supplies the correct CCM procurement guidelines are applied and properly documented, in close coordination with the admin-fin and logistics department
- Verify the list of expenditures prior to finalizing the monthly, interim and final financial reports
- Hold final responsibility for verification of all support documents’ completeness and correctness
- Ensures the general management of the field offices.
- Manage the expatriate and local teams involved in the project.
- Participate in the recruitment and appraisal of staff and consultants, if any, involved in the projects.
- Provide professional development and training to staff and assign roles in project implementation.
- Manage and evaluates the performance of the project staff
- Oversee team attendances and authorize holidays, liaise with admin-fin department to secure up to date HR files
- Ensure teams respect CCM rules and guidelines to the mission and adhere to CCM code of conduct and charter of values
- Manage safety issues in collaboration with the Country Representative.
Communication and Fund raising:
- Support and accompanies missions by HQ and other national/regional technical staff whose purpose is to create awareness of the activities undertaken by the Organization
- Support of the Communications and Press Team and the Fundraising and Field Activities Team by providing information (videos, photographs, texts) to promote the organization’s activities; if needed, support and accompany journalists or other interested individuals on visits.
- Relevant academic background, post graduate studies in Public Health is an asset
- At least 5 years progressive experience within the humanitarian sector
- At least 5 years of professional experience in project management within the humanitarian sector
- At least 5 years’ experience in planning and budgeting
- At least 5 years’ experience in managing staff and overseeing their work
- Experience in projects dealing with health services delivery, strengthening of local capacities and community based interventions is a strong asset
- Experience with implementing other sector activities (e.g. wash, livelihoods support or community-driven programmes) would be seen as an advantage
- Experience in South Sudan and/or in other African countries is a strong asset
- Experience with donor compliance and reporting (mainly DFID but also UNICEF, UNDP, WFP)
- Good understanding of HR, logistics and financial procedures
- Strong team management skills
- High level of autonomy and initiative
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and achieve results through internal and external collaboration
- Strong representation skills
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Strong writing and reporting skills
- Motivation to work in a volatile and unsecure environment and ability to work under high pressure
- High ability to adapt to very rural contexts where there are poor living conditions
- Computer proficient, especially in MS Office required
- English mandatory (oral and written)
How to apply
Please, email your resume (PDF- max 4 pages) with three references ‘details to email@example.com
Any CV longer than four (4) pages or in different format will not be taken in consideration due to the high level of applications.
Compulsory for European applicants. Please, complete the CV with the Privacy European Authorization 679/2016
Please, specify in the email subject the vacancy title as follow Programme_Manager_SS_Kapoeta_Eastern Equatoria
Any email without a clear title, will not be taken in consideration due to the high level of applications.
Please, note every resume will be evaluated and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CCM has a zero tolerance for any form of abuse/harassment and staff are expected to uphold the organizational values. We are determined to keep our beneficiaries safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of vulnerable children and adults from any form of abuse.