Program Manager II – Livelihoods
CRS/South Sudan is seeking a Program Manager II- Livelihoods for an anticipated three-year USAID/Office of Food for Peace (FFP) funded Multi-Year Emergency Food Assistance Activity in South Sudan. The program will seek to add value to existing cash, voucher, and commodity resource pipelines through food security activities that increase the impact of FFP-supported famine prevention and food security efforts in the country. Hiring is contingent upon successful award of the project and USAID/FFP approval of the candidate.
manage and provide technical oversight of the development and implementation of the rural livelihood component (agriculture, livestock, enterprise and microfinance) of the USAID/FFP Multi-Year International Emergency Food Assistance program to serve food insecurity households in South Sudan. You will ensure effective systems and processes are in place that support high-quality programming. The program is designed to complement and integrate with existing CRS programming and field teams carrying out interventions in the same sectors and target areas. Your management skills and knowledge will ensure that the CP delivers high-quality livelihoods programming and continuously works towards improving the impact of its rural livelihoods, social cohesion and resilience programming. You will recruit, train and lead the program’s livelihoods field teams for CRS and undertake direct implementation of activities in insecure and remote field locations. You will coordinate actively with CRS other livelihoods programs in South Sudan, often sharing teams and offices. Together with the program’s management team, you will be based in Torit town, Eastern Equatoria State and conduct regular field visits to remote and insecure field locations.
* Master’s Degree in Rural Development, Rural Livelihoods, Agronomy, International Development or a related subject. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
* Minimum of 5 years’ experience in relevant field-based project management experience required, with preferably at least 2-3 years working in direct implementation of rural livelihoods programming especially for pastoralist populations.
* Experience in managing moderately complex projects in a remote field setting preferably with an international NGO.
* Experience in managing multi-partner programs, including UN partners.
* Experience of livelihoods programming for rural or pastoralist youth in conflict settings.
Travel: Must be willing and able to spend up to 60% of time in remote and insecure field locations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Technical experience in developing and directly implementing livelihoods, agriculture and disaster risk reduction programs in conflict settings.
* Technical expertise in micro-credit, crop farming, livestock management, rural youth livelihoods and cash and in-kind programming.
* Strong planning, management and decision-making skills. Demonstrated capacity to manage multiple tasks in parallel and optimize the short seasonal implementation time frame of program locations.
* Experience and skills in implementing matrix management supervision for field teams. Demonstrated capacity to build, mentor and lead diverse teams in challenging field conditions.
* Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with ability to m ake sound judgment and decisions and offer innovative and contextualized solutions.
* Cultural awareness and the capacity to learn rapidly and adapt management approaches to varying cultural and security contexts.
* Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
* Good presentation and facilitation skills for diverse groups.
* Demonstrated capacity to lead teams responding rapidly to evolving challenges, devising appropriate solutions and achieving results.
* Demonstrated capacity to live and work in remote and insecure field locations with very basic amenities and few or no other international staff and adhere a strict curfew and movement restrictions.
* Good experience in project management, including project design for direct implementation with funding from public donors.
* De monstrated ability to write high quality briefs and reports.
* Experience in coordinating and sharing program staff, facilities and resources with multiple projects and teams working in the same location.
* MEAL skills and experience required.
* Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
* Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
* Continuous Improvement & Innovation
* Builds Relationships
* Develops Talent
* Strategic Mindset
* Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities: Direct supervision of livelihoods technical team. Technical supervision of national field-based program teams.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect a nd to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.