Program Manager I – Social Cohesion FFP
CRS/South Sudan is seeking a Program Manager I- Social Cohesion for an anticipated three-year USAID/Office of Food for Peace (FFP) funded Multi-Year Emergency Food Assistance Activity in South Sudan. The program will seek to add value to existing cash, voucher, and commodity resource pipelines through food security activities that increase the impact of FFP-supported famine prevention and food security efforts in the country. Hiring is contingent upon successful award of the project and USAID/FFP approval of the candidate.
manage and provide technical oversight of the development and implementation of the social cohesion component (trauma awareness and resilience and conflict mitigation) of the USAID/FFP Multi-Year International Emergency Food Assistance program to serve food insecurity households in South Sudan. You will ensure effective systems and processes are in place that su pport high-quality programming. The program is designed to complement and integrate with existing CRS programming and field teams carrying out interventions in the same sectors and target areas. Your management skills and knowledge will ensure that the program delivers high-quality social cohesion and conflict mitigation programming and continuously works towards improving the impact of its rural livelihoods, social cohesion and resilience programming. You will recruit, train and lead the program’s social cohesion field team for CRS and undertake direct implementation of activities in insecure and remote field locations. You will coordinate actively with CRS other social cohesion programs in South Sudan, often sharing teams and offices. Together with the program’s management team, you will be based in Torit town, Eastern Equatoria State and conduct regular field visits to remote and insecure field locations.
* Master’s Degree in International Development, Community Development, Trauma Awareness, Restorative Justice, Peace and Conflict Studies or a related discipline. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
* Minimum of 2 years’ experience in managing moderately complex social cohesion, conflict mitigation and access to traditional justice programs in a remote field setting, preferably with an international NGO.
* Experience in CRS trauma awareness and resilience/3B approach.
* Experience of social cohesion programming for rural or pastoralist youth in conflict settings.
Required Languages – English
Travel: Must be willing and able to spend up to 60% of time in remote and insecure field locations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Technical experience in developing and directly implementing social cohesion and conflict mitigation p rograms in conflict settings.
* Technical expertise in community conflict prevention and resolution mechanisms and trauma awareness programming.
* Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment. Proven ability to plan and manage multiple tasks in parallel to optimize the short seasonal implementation window in multiple locations. Capacity to respond rapidly to evolving challenges, devise appropriate solutions and achieve results.
* Cultural awareness and the capacity to learn rapidly and adapt management approaches to varying cultural and security contexts.
* Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with culturally diverse groups. Experience and skills in implementing matrix management for programs and operations field teams.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to write reports.
* Demonstrated capacity to live and work in remote and insecur e field locations with very basic amenities and few or no other international staff and adhere a strict curfew and movement restrictions.
* Direct project management and capacity building experience with community and traditional justice systems in conflict settings is highly desirable.
* Experience contributing to the development of technical proposals.
* MEAL skills and experience preferred.
* Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
* Continuous Improvement & Innovation
* Builds Relationships
* Develops Talent
* Strategic Mindset
* Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities: Direct supervision of social cohesion technical team. Technical supervision of national field-based program teams.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respec t and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.