Program Director – Africa
Christian Mission Aid (CMA) is a Christian non-profit organization with its Regional Office located in Nairobi, Kenya. CMA’s provision of cross-sectoral relief and development services necessitates a high level of coordination and cooperation with donors, other organizations, agencies and Government Ministries.
CMA seeks accomplished, driven individuals who will make substantive contributions to the organization. We currently seek a Program Director – Africa who will work in our senior leadership team
Summary of the position:
As a successful candidate the Program Director – Africa will:
- Ensure that the direction of the organization follows CMA’s vision and stays within its mandate and purpose, and to provide leadership and overall management of CMA, in fulfillment of the overall goal of CMA’s Vision and Mission.
- He/She will play a key role in the planning and structuring of the organization to ensure positive development growth and expansion of the organization.
- He/she will be responsible for the delivery and overall success of each program, supervise managers and inform management on progress and performance with the objective of ensuring that every program is delivered successfully while adding the highest possible value to the organization.
General Responsibilities and Duties:
- Initiating and setting goals for programs according to the strategic objectives of the organization
- Planning the programs from start to completion involving deadlines, milestones and processes
- Developing or approving budgets and operation
- Responsible for ensuring that he/she understands and agrees with the values, vision and mission of the organization and transferring the same to all members of staff.
- Responsible for promoting teamwork and motivation among all staff and that they are moving ahead enthusiastically to achieve the mission of CMA.
- In-charge of supervisory of the management team to working in harmony and understands their role of motivating their subordinate staff in their work.
- Responsible for annual review of strategic plans with each of the Department Head
- Lead the planning meetings throughout the year to measure and discuss progress of where CMA is on the strategic plan, targets, project achievements and plans for way forward.
- Strongly represent CMA with external organizations, agencies, churches, government offices and potential donors in order to promote CMA’s work and build firm, long term relationships which are beneficial to CMA through the development and maintenance of a referral network with the aim of broadening donor base.
- Lead and hold meetings with the Heads of Departments to review project goals, give recommendations and, if necessary, modified or set new goals.
- Responsible for the final reports compilation on each department’s status of their work and present to the CEO finding of assessments and reviews.
- Working closely with the Human Resource Staffing and the relevant stakeholders to review staff needs with the managers when necessary and ensure procedures are being followed for recruiting new staff.
- Collaborating closely with relevant stakeholders in policy formulation, holding accountable the requisite stakeholder in order to ensure that new or changed policies are communicated, the dissemination of the same is being done adequately and the implementation of policies are being followed.
- Constantly keep up with the current trends in donor interests, project implementation, environmental changes, government strategic plans etc. while giving the best recommendations to the Director
- Managing by walking around.
- To build and continue good relationships with CMA donors and funding partners on all matters relating to project agreements.
- Work closely with the Program Managers, M&E Specialist, finance and HR departments as well as field teams to design, complete and submit all CMA project proposals to reflect the assessed needs, and shape them in relation to the sectoral strategies, meeting all the donor requirements.
- Supervise and assist the Project Managers to ensure program implementation as outlined in granted proposals and submit documentation and reports as required by Executive Director. Make regular visits to the project location and ministry activities taking place to monitor project implementations.
- Responsible for scheduling and leading one-on-one meetings with Departments Heads and Managers and attend Management Committee meetings when scheduled. Ensure that special meetings on critical issues are organized with the administration /managers and/or special interest groups or members as needed. Ensure that quarterly reports from managers are submitted, read and any issue responded to within a week’s time.
- Take necessary steps to ensure that reporting guidelines are adhered to, that accurate records are kept in the offices, and that timely reports are submitted and forwarded to the Executive Director.
- Optimize capacity within CMA by efficiently working with the Human Resource Department, continually reviewing the effectiveness of systems and working practices.
- Collaborate with stakeholders in the development of the financial systems and business of CMA that will improve efficiency effectiveness and sustainability of the organization.
- Closely collaborate in the preparation of annual business plan, in line with the direction set by the organizations strategic plan and the Executive Director.
- Identify areas of improvement and support service opportunities, submit proposals, assess risks and engage in decision-making process in the Management Committee Meetings.
- Responsible for leading all marketing initiatives in the overall organization by Instilling a marketing culture with staff so that they aware and held accountable of their individual responsibility for the success of CMA.
- Responsible for the preparation of the annual organizational budgets to present to the CEO and Board of Directors. Constantly keep up dated on CMA financial status and analyze budget reports on all CMA projects. Work closely with the Chief of Finance to ensure high standards are being followed on all project budgets.
- Responsible for the Supervision of HR in sourcing appropriately qualified, experienced people with the correct blend of experience and skills to ensure that they can work effectively and efficiently and in line with CMA’s Christian principles, culture and policies.
- Lead the annual performance appraisal by ensuring that all annual appraisals are being completed on CMA staff members by their supervisors. Job performance of Managers and Country Directors will be appraised by the African Program Director in coordination with the HR Manager.
- Proactively and effectively manage any changes to working practices or resource requirements which impact staff members, ensuring sensitivity to the issues and effective two-way communication with individuals to minimize the impact of the change.
- In close collaboration with the management assist with organizational strategic plans for CMA by identifying the critical roles within CMA and ensure that other senior staff or deputies fully understand the vision and direction CMA want to go, and lead in the training and equipping CMA Management personnel to higher levels of service.
- This role is note cast in stone and therefore, the successful role-holder shall from time to time be assigned any other duties by the Executive Director that ensure the smooth and effective running of the CMA Regional Offices.
Skills and qualifications you’ll need
- A Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences. A Master’s degree in the relevant field will be an added advantage.
- Must demonstrate a broad knowledge and experience of program management principles.
- Demonstrate a strategic mindset as well as the ability to lead and develop their subordinates.
- 10-15 years in a successful career in the NGO world. 5 years should be in a senior leadership role
- Ability to demonstrate transparency and high integrity leadership.
- Must possess extensive experience in Project proposal writing.
- Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic future to the staff, board, volunteers and donors thus demonstrating a high level strategic thinking and planning.
- Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers and the overall community.
- A history of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results.
- Demonstrate a track record of excellent donor relations skills and understanding of the funding community.
- Show previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers.
- Possess a background of strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, and decision making and reporting.
- Possess a strong written and oral communication skill.
- Possess strong public speaking ability.
- Show proof of strong work ethic with a high degree of energy.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
Qualities you’ll need to fit in well in CMA
- An innovative approach to assessing and testing new ideas as well as continuously improving on the existing ideas
- A collaborative spirit that compels you to work beyond your team and the putting the organization in the world map
- A desire to understand and serve the clients we work with
- An enthusiasm to achieve set targets and improve yourself professionally
- A willingness to embrace diversity, integrity, and empathy
How to apply
If you believe you are the one we are looking for, kindly apply in confidence to:
Human Resource Office
Christian Mission Aid
P.O. Box 57351 – 00200, Nairobi
Apply online by sending your application to the following e-mail address: email@example.com by 20th December 2020. Attach a cover letter illustrating your suitability to meet the requirements of the position and updated Curriculum Vitae indicating your expected Salary. Indicate “Program Director – Africa on the email subject line. This position is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Due to the volumes of applications we receive, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted