Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 8 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Cambodia, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Haiti and Somalia. Action Against Hunger-USA has approximately 1500 staff based in the various country offices, Head Quarter in New York City and Operational Centre in Nairobi. Additional growth is anticipated.
YOU’LL CONTRIBUTE TO ENDING WORLD HUNGER BY …
providing strategic leadership, guidance and oversees the management of all aspects of the Program including in line with the 5- years Country Strategy.
Requirements KEY ACTIVITIES IN YOUR ROLE WILL INCLUDE:
- Coordinate the development and review of Action Against Hunger’s programmatic strategy in South Sudan.
- Coordinate Technical Coordinators in ensuring the effective delivery of program activities and the successful integration of activities with all other aspects of Action Against Hunger programming.
- Take lead to oversee the quality of Action Against Hunger’s Programmes in South Sudan through regular meetings with Technical Coordinators;
- Closely monitor program spending and follow up spending plans with the Head of Finance and PMs.
- Work with Technical Coordinators and Heads of Bases to put in place work plans to address programmatic issues identified by Technical Coordinators.
- Proactively identify new and innovative programming opportunities.
- Proactively engage with various stakeholders (Governments, partner agencies, donor community) in understanding the context needs and positioning for relevant actions.
- Lead the development of technical proposals, concepts, technical responses to include activity timelines, clear understanding and adherence to guidelines, coordination of the various stakeholders; ensuring all departments work together.
- Timely submission of monthly, quarterly, biannual and annual internal and external reports as per appropriate guidelines; and submitted to the Regional office for validation.
- Plan for, Budget follow up, PPP, Work plan, Budget forecasts, ongoing monitoring and kick off meetings take place for every program
- Maintain an up to date database and reporting tracker of all grants managed by the country office; including a summary sheet of key parameters.
- Lead on the development and rollout of new and more effective systems to improve program implementation.
- Coordinate closely with Finance, Log, HR and Field Managers to ensure that security, procurement, HR and financial protocols are designed to support quality programming.
- Lead on the development and roll-out of new and more effective systems to improve program implementation.
- Ensure Action Against Hunger is represented in partnership-related meetings at a strategic level for clusters, working groups,
- Carry out follow-up evaluation of partnership (programming and partner relations), maintains lessons learned and proposes action points for future improvement.
- Maintain an up to date database of all grants managed by the country.
- Act as interim Country Director in the absence of the Country Director.
DOES THIS DESCRIPTION FIT YOU?
You’re an experienced humanitarian professional
- Advanced University degree (Masters) preferably in development and/or political/humanitarian studies or equivalent.
- You have advanced knowledge of donors’ guidelines and procedures (ECHO, DFID, OFDA, SIDA, USAID, UNICEF, GIZ, GFFO etc).
- You have at least 5 years INGO experience preferably recovery and complex emergencies.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation as well as Project Cycle Management.
- You have proven ability to translate analysis and evaluation into operational planning and strategy.
- You are highly organized & pays attention to small details.
- You are passionate about finding creative solutions & innovative approaches to long-standing & critical problems.
- You have excellent planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organize a substantial workload, diverse tasks and responsibilities, and also work calmly under pressure.
- You are self-disciplined and can work autonomously making decisions with minimal guidance.
- Your leadership style reinforces trust within your team.
- You have excellent reporting and proposal writing experience.
- You have good diplomatic and negotiation skills.
- You are fluent in English.
Our Core values.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA’s five core values
Respect– we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
Integrity-: we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work. conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
Creativity-we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
Excellence– we strive to provide services that meet and even exceed the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
Empowerment– we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
Gender Equality Commitments
- Ability to foster an environment that reinforces values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, boys and girls regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect for all cultures.
Action Against Hunger values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These include but are not limited to: –