Jesuit Refugee Service – South Sudan
Location: Maban, Upper Nile South Sudan **
Application Closing Date: 9th December 2020
Position opened to: International
Salary Range & Benefits: To be discussed with successful candidate
Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is an international Catholic organization, with a mission to accompany, serve and defend the rights of refugees and forcibly displaced people. JRS has a priority to work wherever the needs of displaced people are urgent and unattended by others, and offers a human service to refugees and the communities through a wide range of rehabilitation and relief activities, many of which centered on formal and informal education needs.
JRS is seeking to recruit a suitable candidate for the position of Physiotherapist. As part of the JRS Psychosocial Department in Maban, this position will provide technical support and oversight to community-based rehabilitation programs that are being offered in refugee camps and the local host community in Maban. Specifically, JRS is aiming at expanding and reinforcing the interventions to children with different impairments in Far-Side (Gendrassa, Batil and Kaya) camps. Thus, this new Physiotherapist will be assigned to manage the Day Care Program for children with disabilities in the new Day Care Centre in Batil Refugee Camp.
Description of the post: responsibilities and tasks
Under the supervision of the Psychosocial Coordinator and in collaboration with other psychosocial department team members, the Physiotherapist will perform the following responsibilities and tasks:
Responsibility 1: Provide meaningful trainings and capacity-building in physiotherapy to JRS Office team members, home visitors and other incentive workers, caregivers to CwDs, community members and other relevant stakeholders
- Identify the existing gaps in CBR knowledge in Maban and specifically in Far-side camps and develop the capacity-building plan that will be shared with the Psychosocial Coordinator and the Project Director for discussions and implementation.
- To provide periodic and rigorous skill building for home visitors and day care matrons on community-based rehabilitation, inclusion principles, massage and occupation therapy skills.
- Contribute to the development of training manuals, SOPs and curricula that aim to continuous streamlining of JRS efforts in the CBR domain.
- Plan and implement any other training about physiotherapy subject related to empowerment of PSNs and disability mainstreaming.
Responsibility 2: Supervise and coordinate the implementation of a wide-range community-based rehabilitation services to children and adults with disabilities
- Bring technical expertise in conducting individual assessment of PWD in need of assistive devices and/or any other specific assistance.
- Provide and supervise all physiotherapy activities including specialized care to children with disabilities and rehabilitation skills development to their caregivers.
- Link beneficiaries with specialized services and get their feedback through the referral mechanisms already existing in Maban.
- Provide administrative supervision/data management for CBR services so all activities are documented and kept confidential.
Responsibility 3: Ensure efficient and professional day Care Center Management
- Identify all children with disabilities that need Day Care and encourage their parents/caregivers to bring them to Day Care Centers in camps.
- To monitor the assessments, diagnoses, treatment plan, and track progress of children with disabilities enrolled in JRS’ Day Care program. Also to establish psychomotor stimulation activities for children with, or at risk of developmental delays.
- Develop the capacity of Day Care matrons to deliver massage and rehabilitation services in a more efficient and professional manner that provide positive results
- Uphold the integration and accessibility of CwDs to other services including education settings and other JRS recreational activities
- Ensure day Care, home visits’ staff management (JRS staff and incentive workers): evaluation of their work quality and work on time in a professional manner
- Analyze the Day Care activity process, identify challenges and advise the psychosocial coordinator and the projector director on how to act upon.
Education Qualifications/Professional Experiences
- University degree (Bachelor’s degree) in physiotherapy or Bachelor’s degree in Community-Based Rehabilitation and/or Community Social services.
- License to practice Physiotherapy in country of origin.
- At least 3 years of work experience in Physiotherapy or a related field,
- Strong experience with refugee and displaced people settings.
- Demonstrated experience and commitment to working with marginalized communities.
- Experience of managing a small team, Experience conducting trainings or professional supervision.
- Experience in the field of human services, such as social work or counseling
- Experience and understanding of the role of faith-based institutions in humanitarian work Experience with JRS
Competences and Personal qualities
- Strong programmatic leadership, administrative strength, and organizational capacity. Knowledge in disability issues, Community-Based Rehabilitation approaches and practices, disability inclusion.
- Strong capacity in a spontaneous and expressive writing with adequate linguistic skills in English (structured level), Strong computer skills, specifically Microsoft Office programs.
- Creative and critical thinking to enable problem solving with limited resources.
- Patience, perseverance and ability to work in stressful environment and a simple lifestyle
- Good skills in developing and delivering advocacy messages, Strong capacity in coaching, Strong capacity in bringing a quick change and transformation, Oral and Written Arabic language
- Care and compassion for staff and patients, Quality of adaptation, Resilience, Flexibility and Innovative
- Capacity to build relations with others, Free and strong communication ability
How to apply
Please send your CV and a cover letter that indicates what skills and experience you have that meets the criteria and your availability. The CV (maximum 3 pages) should include contacts (phone and email) for three professional referees. Please note that only official email addresses for referees will be accept. Kindly send the application to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm closing date 9th December 2020 or hand delivery to JRS-Juba, South Sudan office in Tomping next to India Embassy.
PLEASE NOTE: due to urgent need to fill this vacant position, we will be reviewing the application as we receive. Only candidates who apply by the deadline and who can demonstrate experience of overall strategic Physiotherapist management processes should apply, only short listed candidates will be contact and only candidates who reached to final oral interview will be inform of interview outcome. Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Commitment to Child Safeguarding:
JRS is committed to the safeguarding of children (under 18 years) who encounter with JRS South Sudan personnel and volunteers in all JRS South Sudan works. All JRS-South Sudan Staff are expect to comply with JRS Child safeguarding Policy and Procedures in this regard and to sign a declaration of commitment to this effect.
Commitment to Protection of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA):
JRS-South Sudan takes the protection of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA) serious and all the JRS-South Sudan personnel and volunteers are expect to comply with the JRS-PSEA policy and to sign declaration of commitment.