Photography and Videography Consultancy
The population in South Sudan is approximately 12 million and according to WHO approximate at least 15% of this population are persons with disabilities, this roughly adds up to at least 1.8 million persons with disabilities of varying categories and severity. Children make up at least 54% of the population in South Sudan if we apply the same rationale among the 1.8million persons with disabilities, at least 972,000 are children with disabilities. Unfortunately, this demographic is among the hidden population of South Sudan since there is little or almost nothing highlighting the status of children with disabilities and ways in which they are accessing services and even their basic rights like access to education.
Some of the barriers that persons with disabilities face in South Sudan are environmental, attitudinal, and communication and institutional. IOM in collaboration with several actors is undertaking a study to increase the understanding of the situation of children with disabilities including the barriers and facilitators faced by children with disabilities in accessing needs-based services.
Description of tasks:
IOM South Sudan is seeking the services of a professional photographer and videographer with experience in taking humanitarian work-oriented photographs and videos. The professional photographer and videographer (hereafter ‘the Consultant’) will assist IOM Protection unit to document activities and positive human interest stories of children with disabilities, parents/caregivers of children with disabilities and Organizations of Persons with Disabilities as well as other persons with disabilities participating in IOM activities including the project seeking to better improve the situation of children with disabilities These photographs and videos will form part of IOM’s portfolio, including IOM visual archives, and will be used for IOM and partner programming. The images and videos will also be used on IOM’s websites, social media accounts and may be shared with donors. The copy right for all photographs and videos remains with IOM South Sudan.
Under the supervision of IOM Protection Officer and the IOM Media and Communications Unit, the Consultant will be required to:
- Provide creative inputs to refine the concept with the program team to ensure that stories and corresponding pictures and video produced contribute to the program aims to document case of children with disabilities utilizing facilitators and can for examples on how to better address the situation of children with disabilities ;
- Capture high resolution images of caregivers, children with disabilities, government officials, humanitarian staff, organizations for persons with disabilities who are engaging in activities to better improve the situation of children with disabilities
- Caption each photograph with specific details such as the location taken, name of the person (for portraits), activity and any other relevant information as per IOM captioning guidelines
- Provide IOM with high quality photographs;
- Provide edited audiovisual interviews with the caregivers, children (with consent acquired as necessary from caregivers) as agreed within the consultancy concept;
- Provide 8 short clips (60 seconds) to be used on social media;
- Edit, resize optimized images, for transmission.
Deliverable and timeframe:
The Consultant shall provide and transmit a selection of the best images and video files based on the inception plan to IOM South Sudan. The files should be sent either via WeTransfer or dropbox to a focal point in the Protection Unit and Media and Communications Unit – the names will be communicated to the Consultant. The videos and photos will also be deposited in the IOM digital platform.
Output/Deliverable: Submit IOM with high quality photographs and audiovisuals according to the agreed concept & work plan.**
· 2- 4 video clips (1-2 minutes) of caregivers/children from Wau of interviews and demonstrating an activity with captions
· 2- 3 video clips (1-2 minutes) of government/humanitarian staff from Wau interviews and demonstration of change/action with captions
· Approximately 30stills of action photos and scenery with some in a story-telling format and including portraits and full-body shots with and without family and caregivers
· Raw B-roll for potential further use by IOM for positive human stories development
Payment shall be made on a lumpsum basis upon submission of deliverables as per the deliverables outline.
Skills, experience and qualifications required:
- Five years progressive experience as a photographer and videographer;
- Knowledge of human rights/ disabilities inclusion and South Sudan would be a plus
- Experience taking photographs and AV for humanitarian-related work;
- Previous experience of working with IOM, or other UN and international agencies;
- Availability and willingness to travel within the country;
- Ability to work in close coordination with other team members;
- A degree, diploma or training in photography, photojournalism and videography will be an added advantage.
The Consultant must own or be in possession of a high-resolution digital camera/equipment to use for this assignment.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their application letter and Curriculum Vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org by 27 November, 2020, indicating in the subject of the e‐mail “Photography and Videography Consultancy”.