DanChurchAid (DCA) is looking for an experienced Operations Manager to manage the operations of the Humanitarian Resilience Mine Action (HRMA) Programme in South Sudan.
DCA works with the poorest of the poor, seeking to support community-based solutions through the safer community approach. The HRMA Programme is part of the DCA country programme in South Sudan and includes office staff and field teams within safer community, risk education, psycho-social support and clearance work, including mine clearance, battle area clearance and explosive ordnance disposal.
The Operations Manager oversees operations of an innovative and diverse HRMA Programme that works closely with national mine action authorities, local authorities and communities as well as with UNMAS and other mine action actors. The HRMA Programme is supported by international donors with 3 international and more than 45 national staff.
As Operations Manager you will be overall in-charge of planning, management, quality assurance and reporting on clearance operations as well as maintaining close coordination with safer community and explosive ordinance risk education. Ensuring efficiency and effectiveness in operations as well as maintaining good communication with national authorities and UNMAS are key elements for the position. You are good at problem-solving and finding joint solutions within the HRMA and country programme in a challenging work environment. The Operations Manager refers to the HRMA Head of Programme for support on fundraising and project cycle management and the DCA South Sudan Country Director, who has overall oversight of the programme in South Sudan.
- Ensure that all mine action operations are implemented in accordance with the National Mine Action Strategy and national SOPs.
- Provide technical oversight and guidance of field operations, including training, internal quality assurance, safety and security as well as daily operational planning and implementation.
- Ensure overall quality assurance and compliance of all operations and reporting to national authorities and UNMAS.
- Supervision and guidance of technical advisers and operations staff.
- Ensure timely, efficient and effective planning, management and implementation of high-quality operations.
- Develop operations plans for on-going activities and new project proposals.
- Ensure that the clearance operations are well coordinated and executed in collaboration with other components of the HMA programme and with procurement, finance, HR and Admin units as part of the country office.
- Ensure clear direction and good discipline of all operational staff, including international and national operational and administrative staff under his/her responsibility.
- Stay informed and current on new techniques, manuals and devices relating to Humanitarian Mine Action.
- Prepare well written and quality inputs for progress and annual reports as well as for project proposals.
- Work closely with the Safety and Access Manager for implementing security plans and security training as required.
- Represent DCA at relevant mine action sector and donor meetings with the Head of Programme and Country Director.
- EOD LEVEL 3 or 3+ qualification is required (NATO standard or IMAS equivalent) with certificates from reputed organisations that can demonstrate compliance with those standards.
- Minimum 5 years of senior international experience in mine action.
- Solid experience of EOD/ERW clearance methodologies, implementation and reporting is essential.
- Extensive experience of collaboration with national mine action authorities and UNMAS.
- You are confident in the role as manager, innovative and a good motivator, and you work with a hands-on approach.
- You are good at coordination, planning and managing complex operations in a challenging environment working with a multi-disciplinary team.
- You have excellent communication skills and are good at sharing information, networking and finding joint solutions with partners and colleagues.
- Experience in project cycle management and fundraising
- You are flexible and able to adapt to a multi-cultural environment.
- You have good computer and report writing skills, and fluency in English is a must.
- Knowledge of South Sudan is an added advantage.
a one-year contract with the possibility of extension pending funding availability. Competitive salary and benefits. Comprehensive insurance, 6 weeks annual leave, regular R&R and paid roundtrips. Accommodation will be provided. This is a non-family position based in Juba with frequent travels to the field.
DCA South Sudan has an annual turnover of app. 15 Mill USD, incl. the HRMA Programme, with a large and multi-disciplinary team based in South Sudan implementing through a NEXUS approach of Humanitarian, Development and Peace programming. DCA was established in 1922 and is today one of the larger Danish humanitarian nongovernmental organizations working to assist the poorest of the poor. DCA has been operational in South Sudan for 10 years. DCA is member of the ACT Alliance. For more on DCA, please be referred to www.danchurchaid.org
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, religion, or ethnic affiliation are encouraged to apply for the vacancy.
DCA conducts an anti-terror check as part of the recruitment process. It is a prerequisite that you can pass this check and maintain this status throughout your employment with us.
Everyone applying for a job with DCA must be ready to comply with our Staff Policy on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment, Child Safeguarding and Counter Terrorism policies.
How to apply
Closing date of application is 20th October 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. The interviews with the shortlisted candidates are scheduled to take place the week following the closing date. Shortlisted candidates may be required to complete a written test prior to the interview. Initial interviews will take place by Skype. Please apply through the following link: https://www.noedhjaelp.dk/det-goer-vi/om-os/job/job-i-udlandet/operation…
For further information please contact Alexandra Blaise Balmer, Country Director, e-mail email@example.com.