Operational Data Management Officer
South Sudan Jobs ( southsudanJobs.com )
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The UNHCR Data Transformation Strategy 2020-2025 envisions that by 2025 UNHCR becomes a trusted leader on data and information related to refugees and other persons of concern, thereby enabling actions to protect and to empower persons of concern. The Strategy stipulates investing in four complementary priority areas: data management and governance; information systems; capacities and skill development; and culture for evidence-informed decision-making. The strategy envisages data and information management functions in UNHCR carried out in a complementary and inter-linked manner between Headquarters Divisions and Services, Regional Bureaux, country operations and key external partners, including persons of concern.
An important element is the establishment of Data, Identity Management and Analysis (DIMA) units in all Regional Bureaux and potentially corresponding units in country operation, led by a senior staff to ensure that UNHCR has a capacity to produce, in line with global standards, quality data, information products, conduct region-level analysis, guide registration and identity management, and advise on responsible and effective data use at country- and regional-levels.
Operational data includes the following: population and demographic statistics, case management information, assessment results, situational analysis, protection incidents, vulnerability and risks, and programme response plans, delivery and implementation. It will be both sectoral data and inter- and intra-sectoral data. Systems that manage operational data include registration systems, sectoral monitoring systems, protection and programme monitoring systems, biometrics and identity management systems, case management systems and other data management approaches such as profiling and household surveys that manage the types of data defined above.
The Operational Data Management Officer (ODMO) is responsible for supporting the operational data systems and activities that fall under the responsibility of the respective country, regional or global entities. S/He functions under the supervision of the DIMA Coordinator/Senior Information Management Officer /Senior Registration and Identity Management Officer or as delegated. The ODMO liaises closely with the relevant technical units at the country, region or headquarters level for technical guidance on data and application management. The ODMO is closely collaborating with the headquarters technical division responsible for information systems and technology to ensure that global standards relating to operational data systems, including systems that process personal data of the persons of concern, meet the UNHCR global standards, including data security.
The Operational Data Management Officer supports data-related activities conducted in the core applications, whether conducted by UNHCR, partners or Governments. The incumbent will provide high-quality, user-focused support services to UNHCR field operations and partners, in line with agreed standards and objectives. S/he also supports and implements provision of user access to systems and applications in accordance with data protection protocols. In addition, the ODMO also supports the monitoring of the quality of data collection in close collaboration with the relevant units and ensures that data inconsistencies are identified and resolved. The incumbent supports building reports, templates and forms out of the operational data systems, including refugee registration and case management systems. S/he also ensures that operational user feedback is recorded and analysed to ensure the relevant applications remain fit-for-purpose.
As delegated, the Operational Data Management Officer coordinates closely with information management, registration and other functions in the field, relevant sector leads, the Regional Bureau and relevant divisions in headquarters to promote regional and global consistency in operational data management, including registration, population data and personal data. The incumbent may closely work with partners, including Government users of UNHCR applications. S/he requires extensive experience and understanding of data systems, including database management and production of reports and other products.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Manage and oversee the use, maintenance and technical support of core operational data applications, including systems that manage refugee registration and identity management, including overseeing the quality of data collection and ensuring consistency with standards and guidelines.
- Perform database administrator functions in relation to local field server machines that contain operational data, and refugee and other persons of concern data.
- Respond and manage user access permissions for UNHCR staff, local government and NGO partners to global applications in accordance with the policies and standards, including the Data Protection Policy and regional or local country data protection protocols.
- Design and develop standard reports, templates and forms, while ensuring consistency with global guidance and policies, and in consultation with relevant stakeholders, including business module owners.
- Identify, diagnose and escalate for the resolution of technical user errors, bugs and queries related to UNHCR core applications on persons of concern data and other operational data systems, in consultation with headquarters, external developers and support teams.
- Oversee capacity building and guidance of technical users and administrators, including provision of training materials and remote webinars and training session for technical staff related to data management, data query and report-building.
- Oversee and monitor user management and conduct regular clean-up of user accounts and access permissions in accordance with relevant guidance and procedures of the applications and systems under his/her responsibility.
- Oversee and monitor device and user management within local client and field server solutions, including monitoring frequency of data synchronization to prevent and mitigate data loss.
- Analyse and respond to user requests and queries, including compilation and assessment of applications enhancements and change requests.
- Assist with data quality assessment, data clean-up and data mapping from legacy or external database systems to the applications, as required.
- Conduct data collection audits as required.
- Conduct field testing of new functionalities within respective applications, as required.
- Support the design and strengthening of operational reports and statistics, including provision of training and user guidance.
- Support discussions and definitions of business requirements for interoperability of local tools and applications within the core applications, in consultation with business owners and relevant governance structures.
- Keep apprised of evolving technology and new business needs to support operational data management systems, including registration, identity and population data management in the country operations;
- Provide business analysis for operational needs.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For P3 – 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
- Field(s) of Education
- Computer Science Information Technology Economics
- Statistics Social Science or other relevant field.
- (Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk are essential)
- Certificates and/or Licenses
- Not specified
- (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk are essential) **
Relevant Job Experience**
- Excellent computer skills, particularly in data management.
- Technical expertise in registration, operational data management and individual case management.
- Knowledge of SQL or Microsoft Dynamics CRM. Knowledge of UNHCR data standards and procedures. **
- Previous experience in registration or individual case management, including use of UNHCR proGres and/or BIMS software.
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
DM-Data collection methodologies
DM-Database design and development
DM-Protection Data Management Systems
IT-Business Analysis (BA)
IT-IT Refugee Systems & Applications
MS-Data Collection and Analysis
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
C001L3 – Accountability Level 3
C002L3 – Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 – Communication Level 3
C004L3 – Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 – Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 – Organizational Awareness Level 3
M002L3 – Managing Performance Level 3
X001L3 – Analytical Thinking Level 3
X003L3 – Technological Awareness Level 3
X005L3 – Planning and Organizing Level 3
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to apply on the UNHCR career page at www.unhcr.org/careers – “Vacancies” tab.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for advertisements in the Add.3 March 2020 Compendium is Thursday 9 July 2020 (midnight Geneva time).
southsudanJobs.com is the place for jobseekers to find the job of their dreams and for recruiters to advertise their vacancies to find/reach the right candidates.