Nutrition Project Manager
South Sudan Jobs southsudanjobs.com
Role & Responsibilities
Manages the implementation and coordination of all nutrition activities in the project location. Providing management, strategic direction, management and monitoring of the nutrition project in Jonglei. Manages relationships with local nutrition actors.
Jonglei State is affected by multiple humanitarian crises including inter-communal violence, displacement, food insecurity, flooding, and locusts. In accordance with its humanitarian mandate, Medair plans to open a new static site to provide emergency health, nutrition, and WASH interventions in Jonglei State. The new project team will be tasked with completing needs assessments in two counties, finalizing the areas and sectors of intervention and scaling up emergency response over an initial two-year cycle.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position is based in Jonglei State, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 to 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Lead initial needs assessments and mapping of nutrition services and gaps in potential target counties in Jonglei State to determine the location of intervention.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant nutrition actors in the new location.
- Implement the launch of initial nutrition activities and the scale-up of nutrition activities.
- Attend the regular state-level Ministry of Health and Nutrition Cluster meetings. Proactively network and coordinate with the state-level Nutrition Cluster and monitor gaps in nutrition services provision in the location.
- Coordinate with the funding manager and advisor(s), to review Project Coordination Agreements, Memorandum of Understandings, with UN agencies, government ministries, and NGO partners relating to nutrition work.
- Accountable for the management of all gift-in-kind nutrition supplies and regular reporting on gift-in-kind stocks.
- Ensure clear internal coordination within the nutrition team, the wider Jonglei Project team, and with in-country Advisors, to increase integration of activities across sectors.
Quality Management/Project Design
- Responsible for ensuring project implementation is according to Medair policy and compliant with Medair, donor, South Sudan and international guidelines; in conjunction with the Project Coordinator, follow the guidance of the Nutrition Advisor regarding nutrition programme quality, strategy and technical guidelines.
- Responsible for monitoring progress against set nutrition indicators with Project Coordinator & Nutrition Advisor.
- Work with Project Coordinator and Nutrition Advisor to improve the quality of the nutrition project activities, to improve the monitoring and evaluation, implementation of Core Humanitarian Standard. Collaborate with the M&E Team to facilitate annual Nutrition SMART surveys and Knowledge, Practices, and Coverage (KPC) surveys.
- Line manage Nutrition Managers and Nutrition Officers. Use Medair HR tools to support professional development and to build the capacity of the staff across the team.
- Make decisions on staff planning and movement in and out of the field. Coordinate and approve RnRs and holidays for staff. Conduct staff appraisals and enforce disciplinary policies for positions directly managed.
- Look for relevant training opportunities for all staff in liaison with the Nutrition Advisor, and advocate for different, emergency response training opportunities where appropriate to the role, such as access negotiation.
- Maintain a focus on building the capacity of the team, delegating tasks under supervision as appropriate.
- Interview potential national and international staff, make recommendations for final hiring decisions.
- Final authority for all nutrition requests going to the logs and finance departments.
- Work with Juba and Jonglei Logistics teams to prevent stock outages and ensure stock requests, purchase requests, cash forecasts and movement requests are submitted appropriately in Juba.
- Monitor expiry dates of gift-in-kind and other stocks to prevent food and drugs from expiring.
- Draft annual budgets for nutrition projects. Review and approve all project expenditures and expense coding. Ensure proper financial procedures are followed by the nutrition team.
- Manage the assigned project budget and track expenses against project budgets, working with the Project Coordinator and finance officer to address issues of over or under-spending.
- Support the development of Security Risk Assessments and Security Plans for interventions in new project areas.
- Monitoring security situation for teams traveling to field locations, gathering information from various sources and feeding back important information to the Project Coordinator and Medair management.
- Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
Reporting and Communications
- Complete monthly situation reports (sitreps). Provide programme data for donor reports to the funding manager and Nutrition Advisor prior to submission to donors. Provide photographs and information at the request of the Communications Officer, Project Coordinator, or GSO, to provide to donors and for fundraising purposes.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Diploma or degree in Nutrition or related field such as Nursing or Midwifery.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field. 1 year of management experience.
- 1 year of overseas an emergency context.
- Knowledge and experience of primary health care principles and management.
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills. Problem solving ability
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and CHS and other international humanitarian guidelines.
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values
- Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices
- Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page. Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
southsudanJobs.com is the place for jobseekers to find the job of their dreams and for recruiters to advertise their vacancies to find/reach the right candidates.