Aweil jobs, South Sudan Jobs
Job Title: Nutrition Manager**
Duration: 7 months.**
Location: Aweil Town, South Sudan.
Reports to: Nutrition Project Manager
Reporting to Job holder: Nutrition Officers
Medair is currently implementing four projects within South Sudan. Medair is providing emergency primary health care based on the basic package of health services to vulnerable host and displaced populations in Renk County. Health facilities were established by Medair on an emergency basis, but due to protracted needs they have become more established facilities. Medair has health and nutrition projects implementing CMAM alongside targeted health services in Aweil. The health programming in Leer County is focused on community level interventions, in addition to a mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) project. Medair also maintains health and nutrition emergency response teams that are able to respond rapidly to any health or nutrition emergency in any area of South Sudan. Emergencies may include high mortality rates, disease outbreaks, population displacements, or emergency level global acute malnutrition rates.
The purpose of the nutrition manager is to facilitate the achievement of nutrition objectives to reduce morbidity and mortality in South Sudan by delivering quality emergency nutrition services in South Sudan.
The nutrition manager will achieve this by assisting in the direct implementation of nutrition interventions which may include screening, treatment of severe acute malnutrition and moderate acute malnutrition. He/She will provide supervision and training to local staff to allow them to implement the programmes. The nutrition manager is also in charge of writing reports daily and weekly reports, developing and ensuring good quality data collection, recording, analysis and storage, assist with ensuring adequate stocks, provide training to local staff as needed, and monitor overall nutrition situation in the area of intervention and observe for potential outbreaks.
Specific Job Duties:
· Undertake the implementation, management, supervision and support of the assigned nutrition field interventions in line with the activity plan and time frame of the relevant project proposal and any applicable national and international guidelines and standards
· Conduct daily supervision to clinics and other nutrition facilities for support and supervision
· Provide training for local staff in line with the appropriate international and South Sudan guidelines.
· Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation of intervention implementation
· Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in all aspects of the project
· Oversee the process of data collection, collation and dissemination to meet the requirements and deadlines set by Medair and/or external partners
· Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities for internal and external reports (e.g. weekly, monthly, quarterly and final reports) as requested by field managers, HQ and donors
· Input into the development of the country strategy, new projects and/or donor proposals as requested by field managers
· Coordinate and oversee the SAM research on body mass composition by ensuring the study protocol and guidelines are observed.
· Ensure accuracy and reliability during data collection, validation, reporting and filling.
· Work with the Community Liaison officers and ensure that all participants enrolled in the study are followed up for the duration in study to monitor their progress.
· Prepare accurate and timely monthly progress reports as requested by NUT PM and NUT advisors.
· Assist the Project Manager to manage and oversee the assigned local nutrition team including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc. The team may include certified health staff (e.g. medical assistants, nurses, midwives, community health workers), other nutrition staff (e.g. nutrition assistants, defaulter tracers) and support staff (e.g. cooks, cleaners, guards)
· Assist to facilitate regular team meetings with the assigned nutrition team, reviewing team and individual objectives, ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work and providing an opportunity for feedback
· Ensure the assigned nutrition team members receive relevant and appropriate supervision, coaching, mentoring and training in order to develop their personal and professional skills, knowledge and understanding. This may be through on-the-job training and taught sessions
· Promote the health and security of the nutrition team by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices
· Assist in the recruitment of local field staff within Aweil following all HR policies of Medair and the Government of South Sudan
· Work with the Project Manager and other Nutrition Managers to manage finances within the field location
· Coordinate and oversee petty cash requirements of the intervention team, ensuring all required paperwork is completed accurately and in a timely manner
Communication and Coordination
· Maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned nutrition team, Medair in-country health and nutrition managers and advisors and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs)
· Represent Medair at relevant local level coordination meetings involving local authorities, UN agencies and other NGOs
· Manage the correct and timely ordering of needed stocks and supplies to the field location in coordination with the Project Manager
· Manage all stocks within the field location ensuring proper stock keeping records are in place
· Monitor expiration dates of all stocks in the field location to ensure timely use
· Assist team in intervention planning and preparations in line with intervention check-list
· Promote and use the Medair intranet and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed
· Implement, as far as is possible within operational constraints, relevant policies and standards relating to health service delivery including Sphere and HAP standards, Ministry of Health and donor guidelines and other good practice.
· Participate as requested in Medair internal workshops and distance learning sessions to keep up with changing trends, new guidelines and best practices
· Filing and archiving of all required records and documents for the assigned nutrition project(s) according to the requirements of Medair, donors and relevant local authorities
· Line management of assigned local nutrition staff, including recruitment, performance monitoring, disciplinary action, etc.
· Education: University Degree in Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics, Health or Public Health.
· Experience: Two or more years of relevant experience as a nutritionist, experience working in a nutrition programme in a humanitarian context is preferable.
· 1 year experience in implementing and coordinating field research, Experience in conducting and participating in qualitative and quantitate research.
· Competent with statistical database such as EPI Info, SPSS or STATA, Experience with SMART surveys using ENA.
· Good CMAM programme knowledge, report writing skills, and project implementation and management skills.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Demonstrate high level of initiative, diplomacy, and tact
· Excellent knowledge of computer software – MS Office, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook
· Must be flexible and be able to work independently and as part of a team / body
· Strong Christian commitment and passionate about serving the poor
How to apply
This is an exciting opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. Interested candidates please submit;
- Detailed and updated C.V.
- Cover letter describing how you consider yourself suitable against the main responsibilities. Please also include your remuneration requirements and availability.
- Submit your application titled “Nutrition Manager” to email@example.com by Friday 12th June 2020. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
southsudanJobs.com is the place for jobseekers to find the job of their dreams and for recruiters to advertise their vacancies to find/reach the right candidates.