Position: Nutrition Manager
Location: Juba, South Sudan with up to 60% travel to the field
Duration: 1 year, renewable
Reports to: Deputy Country Director –Programs
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 18 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty. RI has been working in South Sudan since 2005, delivering integrated Health, WASH, Nutrition, FSL and Protection projects.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Relief International includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure. In addition, RI has country offices registered as affiliates of one of the alliance members in an additional 18 countries.
RI is looking to for an experienced Nutrition Manager to lead the implementation of RI’s multi-donor Nutrition portfolio across four counties in Upper Nile, South Sudan. The Nutrition Manager will lead all project implementation, developing work plans, spend down plans, HR and input into BVA meetings, providing technical support to enable quality and effective program implementation (including supervising activities, capacity building field teams, M&E, reporting), coordinate with key actors, set up and monitoring accountability mechanisms, facilitate learning within the project and build on best practices
The Nutrition Manager will by leading the overall implementation of nutrition interventions which may include screening, treatment of severe acute malnutrition, moderate acute malnutrition, or provision of blanket supplementary feeding. S/he will provide supervision and training to local staff to allow them to implement quality programs. The Nutrition Manager is also in charge of writing reports, developing and ensuring good quality data collection, recording, analysis and storage, assist with ensuring adequate stocks, provide training to local staff as needed, and monitor overall nutrition situation in the area of intervention and observe for potential outbreaks.
The ideal candidate will be passionate, enthusiastic and driven, and have experience of working with national and expatriate team members in nutrition programs in complex and protracted emergency responses. A demonstrable commitment to national capacity strengthening is mandatory. S/he will have at least 2-years’ experience of managing nutrition programs, have excellent written and verbal communications skills and will be fluent in English. Experience working in project management within an INGO in conflict-induced fragile settings is mandatory, with previous experience in South Sudan desirable.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Project Management (85%)
· Overall responsibility for the technical quality and standards of the RI’s Nutrition programme across all RI operational areas, in line with budgets and work-plans, focusing on producing required deliverables
· Overall responsibility for supervising and supporting timely and effective implementation of the all Nutrition project and activities, including achieving set indicator targets and objectives, and grant management.
· Ensure that the Nutrition project aligns with all donor contractual obligations.
· Conduct field visits to monitor implementation and consult with key stakeholders and provide support to program coordinators to ensure timely and effective project implementation – determining gaps and needs and taking corrective measures within appropriate timelines.
· Conduct capacity building and/or mentoring activities for project staff. More specifically, mentor staff involved in the project.
· Liaise with the Finance and Operations teams to ensure grants and programs align with forecasted expenditure.
· Communicate regularly with Area Coordinators/Managers to discuss activity planning and implementation.
· Ensure appropriate links are established amongst the Nutrition project and other complimentary programs
· Clearly define training needs of staff and ensure they are able to access training and professional development resources appropriate to their skill gaps/needs.
· Attend working groups with other international agencies when relevant
· Working with the DCD-Programs ensure regular communication with project donors to share updates on challenges and program progress takes place.
· Represent RI at Nutrition Cluster and other external meetings with various stakeholders
Monitoring and Reporting (15%)
· Take an active role in the monitoring of interventions; ensure the collation, analysis and sharing of data related to project activities and the overall context for the purpose of designing new interventions, and for donor advocacy and fund raising.
· Support field teams in ensuring that robust monitoring systems are in place and reviews are undertaken periodically.
· Lead on the development of project reports, including writing and providing data analysis for donor reporting and advocacy.
Qualifications & Requirements:
This position demands a dynamic, passionate team player with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in demanding and often difficult environments.
· 2-years’ experience in Nutrition project management in humanitarian or protracted conflict settings
· Degree in Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics, Health, nursing, medical or Public Health.
· Demonstrable CMAM implementation experience.
· 2-years’ experience in relevant field supporting project teams on full project cycle technical needs (design, implementation, M&E, lessons learned)
· Demonstrable experience of budget management
· Demonstrable experience of working and developing key project management tools including work plans, Log frames, Budgets, HR and Monitoring and Evaluation plans.
· Demonstrable ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently in a high-stress, fast-paced environment
· Demonstrable experience of working in conflict/volatile security contexts
· Understanding and demonstrated ability and experience of training others on international standards related gender and conflict sensitive programming
· Speaking and writing fluency in English is required, Arabic or Nuer desirable
· Excellent time management skills, resourcefulness, with strong attention to detail
· Ability to work virtually with team members
· Excellent analytical and organizational skills
· Ability to think critically and creatively
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office packages including PowerPoint, Excel, Word etc.
· Excellent representation, presentation and communication skills.
· Creating an empowering and motivating environment; building relationships internally and externally
· Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
· Previous experience of working in South Sudan is desirable
· A sense of humor and adaptable approach to working style and working in a team.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
· Transparency and Accountability
· Agility and Innovation
What we can offer you:
· Salary: Generous base salary, Danger Pay and daily post differential**
· R&R: 6-week R&R cycle with a financial contribution towards the R&R costs. **
· Housing: Self-contained living accommodation (own bedroom, kitchenette and sitting area) in a shared compound in Juba. **
· Learning and Development: Access to RI’s award-winning learning management system and internal/external training courses. **
Interested candidates are required to submit a detailed CV and cover letter by May 26th, 2020. Due to the critical nature of this assignment, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and candidates will be interviewed prior to the closing date that may appear on any of the job boards where this vacancy is posted.
Interested Applicants follow this link to apply;