Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the health manger or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UN Volunteer Nurse will:
- Responds to emergency calls and assists Medical Officers.
- Ensures effective liaison between patient and private doctor, paramedics, family members, and colleagues as appropriate, documents case findings.
- Assist to the medical officer on the management, organization and coordination of the fever clinic, including isolation ward, etc at the duty station.
- Assist the medical officer in the follow up and tracking of the positive cases and close contacts.
- Performs point of care diagnostic and screening tests.
- Performs clinical assessment of patients visiting the walk-in clinic; provides care/advice accordingly or facilitates referral to the UN Medical Officer or to an outside physician, as indicated.
- Ensures preparedness of staff travelling on missions or reassignments, including administration of appropriate vaccine, instructions on malaria prophylaxis and other travel-related ailments.
- Assists in providing health education and health promotion programs; participates in work environment assessment with special emphasis to the prophylaxis of the relevant diseases of the outbreak.
- Assists the UN clinic team in all her/his activities as required.
- Ensures that medical instruments are properly sterilized.
- Ensures proper filing of medical and other records.
Evaluates, orders and maintains an efficient inventory and stock control of medications/vaccines and other medical supplies and equipment.
Qualifications/Requirements Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent Education – Additional Comments:
Registered Professional Nurse with master’s degree and who is a graduate of an accredited baccalaureate nursing programme (3 to 5 years). National registration and license is required.
Required experience: 36 Months Experience remark:
Seven years of experience in nursing (desired area ICU/ER). UN field experience is highly desirable. Demonstrated expertise in the care of the mechanically ventilated patient, including the set up and maintenance of circuits and ventilator machines. Previous experience in humanitarian crisis and infectious diseases is highly desirable. Certification as Intensive Care Nurse or a minimum of 1 years’ experience as an Intensive Care Nurse or Emergency Room Nurse in the past 5 years. Proven experience in barrier nursing and use of PPE.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Arabic(Optional), Level – Working Knowledge
Area of expertise: Nursing and midwifery, Healthcare administration, Other health related experience Area of expertise details:
- Professionalism: demonstrated understanding of operations relevant to UNDP in South Sudan; technical capabilities or knowledge relevant or transferrable to filed duty stations within South Sudan, procedures and rules; discretion, political sensitivity, diplomacy and tact to deal with clients; ability to apply good judgement; ability to liaise and coordinate with a range of different actors, especially in senior positions; where appropriate, high degree of autonomy, personal initiative and ability to take ownership; resourcefulness and willingness to accept wide responsibilities and ability to work independently under established procedures; ability to manage information objectively, accurately and confidentially; responsive and client-oriented;
- Integrity: demonstrate the values and ethical standards of the UN and UNDP in daily activities and behaviours while acting without consideration of personal gains; resist undue political pressure in decision-making; stand by decisions that are in the organization’s interest even if they are unpopular; take prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour; does not abuse power or authority;
- Teamwork and respect for diversity: ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; excellent interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and harmonious working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, mixed-gender environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity; sensitivity and adaptability to culture, gender, religion, nationality and age; commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of UN operations; ability to achieve common goals and provide guidance or training to colleagues;
- Commitment to continuous learning: initiative and willingness to learn new skills and stay abreast of new developments in area of expertise; ability to adapt to changes in work environment.
- Planning and organizing: effective organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to manage a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner; ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor (own) work; ability to work under pressure, with conflicting deadlines, and to handle multiple concurrent projects/activities;
- Communication: proven interpersonal skills; good spoken and written communication skills, including ability to prepare clear and concise reports; ability to conduct presentations, articulate options and positions concisely; ability to make and defend recommendations; ability to communicate and empathize with staff (including national staff), military personnel, volunteers, counterparts and local interlocutors coming from very diverse backgrounds; capacity to transfer information and knowledge to a wide range of different target groups;
- Flexibility: adaptability and ability to live and work in potentially hazardous and remote conditions, involving physical hardship and little comfort; to operate independently in austere environments for protracted periods; willingness to travel within the area of operations and to transfer to other duty stations within the area of operations as necessary;
- Genuine commitment towards the principles of voluntary engagement, which includes solidarity, compassion, reciprocity and self-reliance; and commitment towards UNDP’s mission and vision, as well as to the UN Core Values.
Driving license: Yes Competencies values:
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to