Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.
Abt Associates is currently seeking a qualified Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Director for the upcoming USAID South Sudan Increasing Community Resilience through Agriculture (ICRA) Activity. The goal of this project is to establish a multi-sectoral agriculture system that emphasizes functioning agriculture markets, food productivity, livestock farming, community capacity building, rural livelihoods, better nutrition – all of which will increase farming communities’ resilience in the face of shocks. South Sudan is facing threats to food security and malnutrition, which has been exacerbated in the advent of COVID-19. Prior to COVID-19, the International Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) has projected an estimated 6.5 million out of 11.7 million people were expected to face worse levels of acute food insecurity. Efforts to increase resilience to help the country better respond to multiple crises and threats, including conflict, economic decline, natural disasters, plant pests, human and animal diseases remain critical.
Under the supervision of the Chief of Party, the MEL Director is responsible for overseeing ICRA’s performance monitoring system, conducting or overseeing related assessments and research, and providing capacity strengthening for partner organization in monitoring, data analysis, and data use.
The position will be based in Juba, South Sudan, and is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the design, development, and implementation of the project Activity Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Plan (AMELP) and learning agenda, including identifying and adapting relevant indicators.
- Develop and lead complexity-aware monitoring and risk assessments.
- Support community, state, and private partners to break down specific problems into root causes, identify entry points, search for possible solutions, take action, reflect upon lessons learned, adapt and then act again.
- Work closely with project technical staff and program management to ensure appropriate and adequate MEL efforts are in place to provide each team with data needed to inform their program design and implementation decisions.
- Manage a rigorous approach to MEL and research to measure performance toward specific goals and objectives, including quantitative, qualitative, and participatory methodologies.
- Design data collection tools, schedules, analysis methods, and applied learning approaches for stakeholder training.
- Develop mechanisms to establish feedback loops between activity implementation, data collection, and communications and learning.
- Oversee and lead qualitative and quantitative data collection processes and strategies.
- Synthesize monitoring and evaluation findings needed for quarterly and annual reports for USAID.
- Drive the project’s overall learning agenda to derive lessons learned and best practices from project activities, and contribute to quarterly program evaluations.
- Master’s degree in statistics, development economics, business administration, or relevant area of study.
- At least 10 – 12 years of professional experience in data management and analysis for M&E, adaptive management and/or learning; experience managing M&E on USAID-funded programs.
- Knowledge of and experience with M&E frameworks, traditional indicators as well as those specific to USAID reporting systems.
- Expertise in adaptive management, organizational learning/development, systems mapping, development of collaborating, learning and adapting (CLA)-related tools, CLA thought-leadership, and providing inputs on how CLA may lead to improved development outcomes.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to work collaboratively and independently.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English required.
- South Sudan nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- (10+) years of experience and a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection