Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Coordinator
General Description of the Role
The primary responsibility of the MEAL Coordinator is to support the Assistant Country Director-Programs (ACDP) and Program Coordinators (PCs) by ensuring robust and well-structured monitoring databases (including remote monitoring and management systems and process for each sector); and on time submission of high quality donor and government reports.
The MEAL Coordinator will provide leadership and technical expertise to ensure that GOAL’s MEAL system is implemented effectively. S/he will be the focal point in the programme for all aspects of MEAL. A key part of the role will be capacity building and remote support to the MEAL team inside South Sudan.
Leadership and Management
- Oversee the activities of GOAL’s MEAL team in South Sudan, which includes GOAL-direct M&E, Accountability, Data Entry, Verification and Partner Monitoring, providing technical support and oversight..
- Oversee the MEAL budget, ensuring appropriate grant budgets are developed and spending is in line with those budgets.
- Provide capacity building, technical support and training to the MEAL team based in South Sudan as well as the Programmes team and GOAL’s local partners on all areas of MEAL
- Work with the Global MIS advisor to roll out MEAL Management Information Systems (CommCare + Power BI) for new and existing grants.
Support to Program Quality
- Work with Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) teams for timely data collection, data entry into CommCare, analysis, surveys, development of log-frames, indicators
- Work with MEAL teams to ensure systematic monitoring and evaluation of programmes, and compilation and sharing of lessons learnt.
- Maintain and update the M&E Framework for the country programme, bringing together tools and outlining systems. Develop new tools as required.
- Feed into the overall programme strategy, providing data and analysis as required for strategic purposes and new programme design, including proposal development
- Develop or update M&E plans, and ensure that routine project monitoring take place on time
- Roll out of Power BI software to facilitate near real-time analysis for each sector, promote learning, and work with the ACDP to initiate timely evidence-based corrective action where required
- Maintain all type of information and produce situation analysis on regular basis especially while developing new proposals or donors reporting as agreed with the line manager
- Work with ACDP on keeping updated information for programme mapping and ensure stakeholder analyses are completed from time to time.
- Coordinate the continued review and feedback process using the online recommendation tracker system
- Coordinate, supervise and review all assessments, evaluations and research – Initiate and work with Program Coordinators in designing and conducting KAP, LQAS, MICS, SQUEAC, Barrier Analysis and other programmatic surveys, assessments and evaluations.
- Work with the ACDP and Program Coordinators to ensure that remote monitoring and management tools are in place, information is collected, analysis carried out, and feedback shared in a timely manner for all grants and programme activities.
- Be an advocate for learning in the programme ensuring that learning is captured and shared effectively
- Liaising with donors and other project stakeholders as required
- Support the ACDP and Program Coordinators in the development of strong data collection and monitoring & evaluation plans within each proposal, including work on log-frames and indicators, and ensure that project indicators are regularly and systematically monitored and reported.
- Ensure that all grant proposals and reporting include solid M&E components and work with the Programmes team to develop appropriate results frameworks, log frames and indicators.
- Oversee the roll-out of activities and training within the GOAL South Sudan Accountability Framework and update the framework as needed.
- Oversee the activities of the independent beneficiary selection and verification team, ensuring beneficiary verification processes are independent and consistent.
- Ensure effective oversight and smooth running of GOAL South Sudan’s complaints and response mechanism.
- Continue to develop and improve on GOAL’s independent monitoring systems meant to ensure accountability, both to beneficiaries and to donors.
- Oversee the work of the Data Entry team and ensure the Program Database is up-to -date and accessible to relevant departments
- Any other tasks at the request of the Line Manager
Crossover with Grant Management
- Participate in and / or co-facilitate grant opening, closing and other management meetings in collaboration with the ACDP, Financial Controller and respective Program Coordinators
- Liaise with the ACDP and Financial Controller to highlight and when necessary troubleshoot problems identified in project reports or data.
- Ensure compliance to donor reporting and proposal requirements
- Maintain and update the filing system for donor reports, proposals, and other documentation that will provide secure and back up of all donor related files for ease of access and retrieval whenever needed. Work with Program Coordinators to ensure strong database for Health, Nutrition, WASH, REFLECT, Economic and Food Security.
The post holder may be requested to undertake other activities as mutually agreed with the ACD-Programs. This Job Description is intended as a guide to the position and is subject to change at GOAL’s discretion.
- Formal qualifications at graduate or postgraduate level in project management, business administration, international development, or other relevant subject
- A minimum of three (3) years’ overseas practical working experience in a managerial capacity with M&E or Accountability activities within a humanitarian programme with an International NGO, including experience in an African context
- Strong knowledge of and demonstrated practical experience M&E methodology (particularly appropriate quantitative and qualitative/participatory research methods), data analysis and report writing.
- Excellent communication skills, written and spoken: strong writing skills in English, including previous proposal and report writing experience is required.
- Experience working with major institutional donors and agencies such as ECHO/EC, USAID, UN agencies, FCDO, and Irish Aid Experience in proposal development and report writing
- Good communication, interpersonal and motivational skills and a proven ability to lead a diverse team under challenging field conditions
- Good team player, flexible and capable of working with and supervising a multinational country team, and capable of working under pressure and in harsh environments.
- Demonstrated experience with staff management; experience in distance management a plus
- Proven capacity to build the M&E skills of colleagues, partners and community members.
- Confident presentation and facilitation skills, proven record in provision of trainings a plus
- Advanced skills with MS Office (particularly Excel).
- Experience designing applications/forms with ODK-based digital data collection software (e.g. CommCare, SurveyCTO, ODK, iFormBuilder, Kobo, etc.)
- Understand relational data models (one to one vs. one to many).
- Experience working with Power BI preferred.
- Knowledge of statistical software packages, such as SPSS, Stata and/or R preferred.
- Good understand of monitoring and evaluation basics – including tracking progress against objectives, preparation of Log-frames, indicators etc., and analysis of quantitative and qualitative data.
- Knowledge of Sphere and Core Humanitarian Standards.
- Fluent oral and written English
- Oral and written (Nuer & Dinka) communication skills a distinct advantage
- Ability to travel up to 40% from base (Juba) within South Sudan.