Monitoring And Evaluation Specialist
Practice Area – Job Family: HIV and Health
Vacancy End Date:
(Midnight New York, USA)
Duty Station: Juba, South Sudan
Education & Work Experience:
G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 7 year(s) experience, I-Master’s Level Degree – 5 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type FTA International
1 Year with possibility for extension
The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM) was set up as an international financing institution to increase resources to fight the three diseases, namely HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis (TB) and Malaria. The Global Fund has supported large-scale prevention, treatment, and care program against the three diseases while supporting the strengthening of the health systems of host governments. The purpose of GFATM is to attract, manage and disburse resources in a public-private partnership that will make sustainable and significant contribution to the reduction of mortality and morbidity caused by the three major diseases and contributing to the achievement of the sustainable development goal.
UNDP is a key partner to the GFATM and is the UN Agency assuming the role of Principal Recipient of GFTAM grants in South Sudan. As Principal Recipient for GFATM, assisting the country to meet its main goals in reducing mortality and morbidity from HIV and TB, UNDP South Sudan Country Office is responsible for the financial and programmatic management of the GFTAM grants as well as for the procurement of health and non-health products. It provides capacity development services to relevant national institutions, Sub-Recipients, and implementing partners in all areas of implementation. Currently, UNDP, as Principal Recipient, bears the full responsibility for the operational and financial management of Resilient and Sustainable Systems for Health (RSSH) grant, New Funding Model (NFM) for HIV/AIDS and Tuberculosis.
For the implementation of the Global Fund program, UNDP South Sudan has established a Program Management Unit (PMU) that will coordinate the projects’ implementation and provide general guidance of Global Fund rules and procedures to all Sub Recipients participating in the implementation of the projects.
UNDP South Sudan is seeking the services of a Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist to provide overall technical leadership for the M&E approach and strategic information for the GFTAM project. Under the overall guidance of GFATM Programme Coordination Advisor, the M&E Specialist will provide M&E expertise in the development and implementation of the M&E plan, build capacities of staff and local partners and ensure that data quality standards are monitored, met and reported timely. The M&E Specialist will be the M&E specialist of the three disease areas – TB, HIV/AIDS and Malaria
Summary of Key Functions:
- Monitoring and evaluating results and impacts of the GFTAM project,
- Management of the monitoring and evaluation process
- Providing a basis for decision making on necessary project amendments and improvements;
- Promoting accountability for resource use
- Implementation of monitoring and evaluation policies and strategies.
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing on monitoring and evaluation
1. Ensure the implementation of monitoring and evaluation policies and strategies, focusing on achieving the following results:
- Participate in and contribute to the development of Monitoring and Evaluation Frameworks for the GFTAM Project;
- Develop monitoring and evaluation tools and processes for all GFTAM grants;
- Provide technical support to the subrecipients to strengthen their monitoring and evaluation systems for Malaria, Tuberculosis, and HIV/AIDS programmes;
- Develop and update as necessary Monitoring and Evaluation plans for the GFATM grants, consistent with the national M&E framework, in consultation with the MoH and the South Sudan AIDS Commission (SSAC), National TB, Leprosy and Buruli Ulcer Programme (NTLBUP) and the National Malaria Control Programme (NMCP);
- Develop systems and tools, and training materials for training the MoH, SSAC, NMCP, NTLBUP and other implementing partners personnel;
- Conduct the assessment of the sub-recipients capacity in M&E capacities, and develop and lead the implementation of a capacity development plan, in collaboration with the programme team;
- Provide technical guidance for the implementation of the M&E plan, through training and other on-site support;
- Facilitate review of progress reports and undertaking of problem-solving initiatives including remedial actions that ensure the addressing of any disparities between planned and actual outputs;
- Assist UNDP in the identification of potential implementation problems and bottlenecks and recommend appropriate strategies to address them;
- Manage and provide M&E leadership for Malaria, Tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS programmes;
- Provide strategic support to national surveys including AIDS indicator survey, Malaria Indicator Survey, ANC sentinel survey; maternal mortality survey and others;
- Prepare bi-annual and annual programmatic progress updates for the GFTAM programmes;
- Regularly update project results in ATLAS and the transparency dashboard;
- Lead the preparation of the ROAR and annual work plan with the programme teams;
- Facilitate quarterly, biannual and annual review meetings with sub-recipients and partners.
2. Ensures effective management of the monitoring and evaluation process, focusing on achieving the following results:
- Ensure that project monitoring arrangements comply with GFTAM framework agreement and that the provisions of the Grant agreement are dully observed;
- Review the management information systems of the PR and sub-recipients and agree on required changes, support and resources to ensure that data quality standards are monitored and met;
- Review the quality of existing data sources, the methods of collecting them and the degree to which they will provide useful baseline data for mid-term and end of project evaluations. Based on this review and consult with partners to develop approaches to address identified gaps.
- Prepare the Terms of Reference (TOR) for baseline, mid-term, and end-line surveys including methodology preparation, sample selection and staff training if needed, and provide overall technical direction for the conduct of the surveys;
- Provide evaluation feedback into the GFATM programmes;
- Follow up on the implementation of evaluation recommendations. Ensure the optimal use of evaluation findings by providing guidance in the preparation of timely management responses to all mandatory evaluations and by developing a communication/dissemination plan.
3. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the area of monitoring and evaluation, focusing on achieving the following results:
- Identify and formulate lessons learned and document best practices from evaluations and studies to be integrated into project reports;
- Collaborate and coordinate with other UN agencies, government agencies, NGOs, and other organizations on monitoring and evaluation of TB/HIV and Malaria programmes;
- Lead the design and delivery of M&E and HIS training and/or capacity building to personnel of MoH, NTLBUP, NMCP, SSAC and other sub-recipients, and implementing partners involved in the implementation of GFATM grants;
- Maintain a cooperative relationship with all stakeholders, including CCM, SRs and SSRs, policy makers and donor partners; and
- Participate in Rapid Service Quality Assessment (RSQA), Routine Data Quality Assessment (RDQA) external supervision and evaluation missions of the GFTAM and other agencies by facilitating access to M&E data as required.
Knowledge Management and Learning;
- Promote knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation and monitoring of management projects
Management and Leadership;
- Build strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrate good oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Lead teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
Required Skills and Experience
- A Master’s Degree in one of health sciences or public health or any related field with 5 years project management and M&E related experience in the field of infectious diseases, preferably in TB/HIV area in sub-Saharan Africa:A bachelors in Health Sciences,Public healtht or related field with 7 years of relevant experience maybe considered in lieu of a Masters.
- Medical Doctor is a plus
- A strong background in health programmes, having managed projects wherein systematic input, output and process data were collected and used to guide programming;
- Experience in the GFATM programme including management, monitoring and evaluation functions;
- A good understanding of routine health information systems, and literacy in management information systems;
- Solid experience in capacity building of the Ministry of Health and implementing agencies in the monitoring and tracking of progress of project implementation;
- Experience with indicator selection, definition, target setting, and where systematic input, output and process data were collected, summarized, analyzed and used to guide programmes;
- Experience working with and maintaining good relations with international, as well as counterparts and beneficiaries (e.g. International and Local NGOs and government representatives
- An excellent computer skill with the ability to use data analysis soft ware’s including DHIS, SPSS or Epi info is desirable.
- Having training on HIV/TB/Malaria M&E will be an advantage
- Strong writing and oral communications skills;
- Strong analytical skills, including in the identification of key data quality issues;
- Solid experience in the management of people and systems in high-pressure environments.
- Fluency in English with good verbal and written skills.