Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) Officer (Upper Nile State)
South Sudan Jobs ( southsudanJobs.com )
Position Title : Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) Officer (Upper Nile State)
Duty Station : Malakal, South Sudan
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 09 July 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the administrative supervision of the Head of Sub-Office in Malakal and the direct supervision of the Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) Programme Manager (Psychologist) based in Juba, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the coordination, implementation, and monitoring of the IOM MHPSS portfolio in Upper Nile State, according to relevant international guidelines and standards.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the MHPSS Programme Manager (Psychologist) by identifying programme gaps in Upper Nile State (internally displaced persons (IDP) and host community settings) and contribute technical inputs for the development of project proposals, including recommending new donors and thematic areas of technical intervention.
- Implement level 2, 3 and 4 MHPSS services which are in line with the Inter-Agency Standing Committe (IASC) intervention pyramid in Malakal Protection of Civilians (PoC) and town where applicable, in close coordination with the local WG
- In coordination with field based MHPSS Specialists, provide adequate capacity building (Psychological First Aid (PFA), MHPSS guidelines, Mental Health Gap Humanitarian Intervention Guide (mhGAP), referral pathways) to IOM MHPSS staff, psychosocial mobile teams and other relevant actors where applicable, such as line ministries, IDPs and host community members.
- Check that the MHPSS programme is driven by a sound Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) framework and qualitative and quantitative indicators are relevant and updated.
- Coordinate and supervise the IOM MHPSS team in Malakal, including volunteers, and ensure compliance to IOM administrative procedures.
- Check that work-plans for staff and psychosocial mobile teams are adhered to and provide timely updates to the supervisor.
- Participate in various cluster meetings, working groups, and mapping exercises.
- In coordination with the National MHPSS TWG Coordinator, act as a focal point for the MHPSS WG in Malakal and participate in the development of an appropriate work plan, capacity needs assessment as well as referral pathway in close collaboration with member organisations.
- Liaise with line ministries connected to MHPSS and other relevant civil society actors and explore future possibilities of capacity building.
- Check that MHPSS mainstreaming is provided effectively.
- Undertake psychosocial needs assessments as needed.
- Ensure that confidentiality and the right to privacy is maintained regarding confidential information.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experiences in providing services to displaced populations, migrants, refugees or conflict affected populations;
• Significant experience in implementing MHPSS projects, providing supervision, coaching, and mentoring to both specialists and non-specialists;
• Demonstrated experience and knowledge of UN and international agencies structures. Experience in capacity building activities and curriculum development is an advantage;
• Previous working experience in South Sudan is an advantage.
• Effectively applies knowledge of mental health and psychosocial issues in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level; maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work;
• Skilled at developing culturally relevant psychotherapeutic interventions;
• Demonstrated expertise and thorough knowledge on the practical application of the IASC Guidelines on MHPSS in Emergency Settings;
• Knowledgeable on the psychosocial impact of forced displacement.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic, French, Spanish and/or any local language is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling
environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
How to apply
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 09 July 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 26.06.2020 to 09.07.2020
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2020 141 MHPSS Officer (Upper Nile State) (P2) Malakal, South Sudan (56495293) Released
Posting: Posting NC56495294 (56495294) Released
southsudanJobs.com is the place for jobseekers to find the job of their dreams and for recruiters to advertise their vacancies to find/reach the right candidates.