Local Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP)/Evaluation Specialist, USAID South Sudan MEL, South Sudan, Social Impact
Social Impact (SI) is a Washington, DC-area international development management consulting firm. SI’s mission is to improve the effectiveness of international development programs in improving people’s lives. We provide a full range of management consulting, technical assistance, and training services to strengthen international development programs, organizations, and policies. We provide services globally in the areas of monitoring and evaluation, strategic planning, project and program design, organizational capacity building, and gender and social analysis. SI services cross-cut all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. SI’s clients include US government agencies such as USAID, the Millennium Challenge Corporation, the US Department of State, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and non-profits.
Social Impact is preparing a proposal for an upcoming five-year USAID South Sudan Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Project. The MEL Project will support USAID/South Sudan to effectively monitor, evaluate, learn from, and improve USAID-funded interventions. The MEL Project will provide USAID/South Sudan with flexible, demand-driven technical, analytic, advisory, training, monitoring, evaluation, and related support services for performance measurement, planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting, activity mapping, and performance information management and dissemination activities.
SI is seeking a Local DCOP/Evaluation Specialist to lead the evaluation component of the South Sudan MEL. The Local DCOP will report to the Chief of Party (COP), and be responsible for oversight and quality of the technical evaluation activities under this project, while also supporting the COP in management of the contract. This will be a full-time position based in Juba, for the duration of the contract.
**Please note: This is a local position. Only candidates with South Sudanese citizenship are eligible to apply.
- Support the COP in the oversight and administration of the contract.
- In coordination with the COP, lead and manage all evaluation technical work conducted throughout the life of the activity.
- Oversee all relevant evaluation deliverables, including, but not limited to, assessments, studies, and surveys of USAID funded programs in South Sudan.
- Assemble and manage a highly-skilled, interdisciplinary team. Interact with and lead a broad range of governmental and non-governmental actors and institutions across sectors.
- Advise and provide quality assurance on evaluation design, quality development, and production of evaluations reports and any assessments, population based surveys and studies; including the design of the evaluation methodology and participatory data collection methods and protocols for performance and impact evaluations.
- Ensure that short-term technical experts and evaluation team members recruited under this contract are of a high caliber and possess the required technical expertise.
- Serve as the Acting Chief of Party in the absence of the COP.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in international relations, economics, political science, public policy, or other relevant field.
- Minimum of eight years of experience in leadership and technical M&E roles, conducting programmatic management and administration tasks as well as providing oversight on M&E activities. Prior experience serving in a similar capacity on a USAID funded project.
- At least five years of project management experience.
- Experience conducting performance and impact evaluations of development interventions. Significant experience in indicator development, data collection and quantitative/statistical analysis, data quality assessments, and/or performance monitoring and reporting.
- Demonstrated ability to support the COP in the supervision a team in order to complete tasks on time and on budget.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain high levels of quality and timeliness within teams of consultants and internal staff.
- Proven successful leadership in an intercultural team environment in a development context.
- Exceptional proficiency in written and spoken English.