ICU Critical Care Medical Doctor #20-135
South Sudan Jobs
International Medical Corps is a global humanitarian nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs.
Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in areas worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at high risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
International Medical Corps offers comprehensive primary and secondary health care in emergency program sites including Juba, Malakal, Maban, and Wau in South Sudan. Currently, International Medical Corps supports 2 Hospital and 35 primary health care facilities. The organization is composed of over 750 national staff and 49 expatriates. In addition to comprehensive primary and secondary health care, International Medical Corps also implements multiple complementary programs including mental health, reproductive and sexual health, GBV prevention and response, and health outreach activities. International Medical Corps also supports three midwifery and nursing colleges in South Sudan in Juba, Kajo Keji and Wau. Further, International Medical Corps has a wide-reaching comprehensive health program that covers Juba PoC, Malakal, Maban, Wau and Nyal.
One major area of concern in the current national response is facility management of severe and critical COVID-19 cases. Accordingly, the Ministry of Health has developed a Concept Note requesting for the WHO led International Emergency Medical Team to support South Sudan address some of the challenges.
The critical care physician will be part of a specialized team to support the Ministry of Health in South Sudan in setting up Intensive Care Units for the management of critical patients requiring respiratory support. As part of the team, he/she, (hereafter referred to as ‘he’) will conduct initial assessment of the designated health facilities, outline needs and resources and carry out necessary on job training for the staff working in these facilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation. The tasks listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
- Carry out a need assessment in the health facilities to determine the needs for equipment, medications and resources required for setting up an Intensive care facility. Develop Standard list of medications, medical equipment and consumables in accordance with WHO’s commodity list for COVID-19 and within the scope of critical care capacity of the health facilities.
- In collaboration with the Team Leader and the Hospital Director, develop protocols for the management of critically ill patients based on MoH and WHO’s guidelines, and in light of latest clinical evidence.
- Develop clinical pathways for treatment of critically ill patients and ensure that critically ill patients who have, are at risk of, or are recovering from conditions that may be life threatening are provided with life support, monitoring techniques, resuscitation and end-of-life care.
- In collaboration with the Hospital Director and the Team Leader, develop and implement admission and discharge criteria for the ICU.
- Conduct training need analysis for the health facilities and develop a training plan in accordance with available resources to coordinate the multidisciplinary teams of health professionals in the unit. Provide on job training for close monitoring of the patients’ needs including; intubation, ventilation and Basic and Advance Life support to the staff working in the health facilities.
- In collaboration with the ICU team, organize the tasks of personnel in the ICU.
- In collaboration with the Hospital Director, develop and implement quality assurance system in the two health facilities including morbidity and mortality reviews, grand rounds, case reviews and medication use audits.
- Ensure that patients who present with ICU indicators; blood pressure support for cardiovascular instability, sepsis, cardiac arrhythmias, ventilator support due to respiratory compromise and multiple organ dysfunction receive advanced care.
- In collaboration with the Biomedical Engineer, ensure good functioning and maintenance of OT equipment (oxygen extractor, ventilation, equipment, etc).
- Implement and supervise hygiene rules, procedures and protocols in OT/recovery, anesthesia material (decontamination, sterilization, storage conditions, etc.) to ensure the safety and protection of patients and staff.
Code of Conduct
It is our shared responsibility and obligation to prevent matters involving Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Trafficking in Persons, Child Safeguarding and any suggested violation to our Code of Conduct, which may involve Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption or Harassment. If you see, hear or are made aware of any suggested activities then you have an obligation to report.
Medical Doctor with a post graduate specialization in Internal Medicine
Fellowship in Critical Care medicine
- At least 3 years of experience as a Critical Care PhysicianCompetency
- People Management
- Commitment to Humanitarian Principles
- Behavioral Flexibility
- Result and Quality Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.
How to apply
southsudanJobs.com is the place for jobseekers to find the job of their dreams and for recruiters to advertise their vacancies to find/reach the right candidates.