Health Project Manager
South Sudan Jobs southsudanJobs.com
Role & Responsibilities
Manage the implementation and coordination of all health activities in the project location. Providing management, strategic direction, management and monitoring of the health project in Jonglei. Manages relationships with local health actors.
Jonglei State is affected by multiple humanitarian crises including inter-communal violence, displacement, food insecurity, flooding, and locusts. In accordance with its humanitarian mandate, Medair plans to open a new static site to provide emergency health, nutrition, and WASH interventions in Jonglei State. The new project team will be tasked with completing needs assessments in two counties, finalizing the areas and sectors of intervention and scaling up emergency response over an initial two-year cycle.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position is based in Jonglei State, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
September 2020. Full time, 12 to 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Lead initial needs assessments and mapping of health services and gaps in potential target counties in Jonglei State to determine the location of intervention.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant health actors (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs) in the new location.
- Implement the launch of initial health activities and the scale-up of health activities.
- Attend the regular state-level Ministry of Health and Health Cluster meetings.
- Proactively network and coordinate with the state-level Health Cluster and other health actors and monitor gaps in health services provision in the chosen location. Ensure clear internal coordination within the health team, the wider Jonglei Project team, and with in-country Advisors, to increase integration of activities across sectors.
- Review and update Project Coordination Agreements, Memorandum of Understandings, and other agreements in place with UN agencies, government ministries, and NGO partners relating to health work.
Quality Management/Project Design
- Responsible for ensuring project implementation is according to Medair policy and compliant with Medair, donor, South Sudan and international guidelines; in conjunction with the Project Coordinator, follow the guidance of the Health Advisor regarding health programme quality, strategy and technical guidelines.
- Responsible for monitoring progress against set Health indicators, with the Project Coordinator & Health Advisor.
- Improve the quality of the health project activities, monitoring and evaluation, implementation of Core Humanitarian Standards and protection mainstreaming. Collaborate with the M&E Team to facilitate annual Knowledge, Practices, & Coverage surveys.
- Use Medair HR tools to support professional development and to build the capacity of the staff across the team.
- Make decisions on staff planning and movement in and out of the field. Coordinate and approve RnRs and holidays for staff. Conduct staff appraisals and enforce disciplinary policies for positions directly managed.
- Look for training for all staff with Health Advisor emergency response training opportunities.
- Maintain a focus on building the capacity of the team, delegating tasks under supervision as appropriate.
- Interview potential national and international staff, make recommendations for final hiring.
- Final authority for all health requests going to the logs and finance departments.
- Work with Juba and Jonglei Logistics teams to prevent stock outages and ensure stock requests, purchase requests, cash forecasts and movement requests are submitted appropriately in Juba.
- Monitor expiry dates of all medicines and medical supplies, including gift-in-kind, and other health stocks to prevent expiration before use. Facilitate safe disposal and report losses to Juba management and donors.
- Draft annual budgets for health projects. Review and approve all project expenditures and expense coding.
- Manage the assigned project budget and track expenses against project budgets, working with the Project Coordinator and finance officer to address issues of over or under-spending.
- Support the development of Security Risk Assessments and Security Plans for interventions in new project areas.
- Monitor security situation for teams traveling to field locations, gathering information from various sources and feeding back important information to the Project Coordinator and Medair management.
- Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
Reporting and Communications
- Complete monthly situation reports (sitreps). Provide programme data for donor reports to the Funding Manager and Health Advisor prior to submission to donors.
- Responsible for open communication regarding project planning and implementation with the Project Coordinator, Health Advisor, and other key staff. Provide photographs and information at the request of the Communications Officer, Project Coordinator, or GSO, to provide to donors and for fundraising purposes.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Diploma or degree in Nursing / Midwifery or qualification as a Medical Doctor.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field. 1 year of management experience.
- 1 year of overseas experience in primary health care or emergency context.
- Knowledge and experience of primary health care principles and management.
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills. Problem solving ability
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and CHS and other international humanitarian guidelines.
How to apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values
- Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices
- Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page. Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
southsudanJobs.com is the place for jobseekers to find the job of their dreams and for recruiters to advertise their vacancies to find/reach the right candidates.