Health & Nutrition Manager
South Sudan Jobs southsudanjobs.com
Job Title : Health & Nutrition Manager
Department : Programs
Reports To (Function): Programs Manager
Location : Juba with frequent travel to field locations
Number of Direct Reports (Subordinates): 1 Deputy Nutrition Manager and 2 Nutrition Officers
Purpose of Position:
The Health & Nutrition Manager will support the operationalization of the Health and Nutrition strategic objectives of the JAM South Sudan Country Strategic Plan, through incorporating and monitoring critical activities and ensuring the health and nutrition project designs and implementation are innovative and properly aligned with the Republic of South Sudan National Health and Nutrition policy frameworks and guidelines. In this regard, the H/N Manager will provide professional expertise in networking/collaboration, program design, new business development, program execution, staff and partners’ capacity development and ensuring standards are consistently met.
Leadership and management of health and nutrition programs:
· Provide leadership in the harmonization and coherence of health and nutrition program approaches and activities across all project locations where JAM works, with the development of project implementation plans, budgets and regular follow-up of execution;
· Provide continuous technical backstopping and organizational support and capacity building to field-based technical teams, to ensure teams are conversant with standard approaches and methodologies in line with national guidance and specific project designs;
· Ensure a close and regular coordination with support departments (finance, logistics, administration and human resources) in procurement planning and follow-up, cash forecasts and expenditure tracking, human resources planning and staff performance management;
· As a member of JAM South Sudan Programmes Management Team (PMT), s/he has a shared responsibility for effective team work and inclusiveness, cultivating a team spirit through participating in regular meetings and team events.
M&E, Research and Reporting **
· Take part in planning for and executing M&E and humanitarian disaster assessment processes (viz: baselines, evaluations, SMART surveys, KAP surveys, and other inter-agency special studies), including Terms of Reference, design, data collection methodology and tools, analysis, report writing and dissemination;
· Conduct routine monitoring, quality assessment, quarterly/annual reviews to ascertain progress, identify constraints and promising results and success stories;
· Lead in development and review of projects narrative and financial reports and sharing with JAM management and funding partners in a timely manner;
· Plan and conduct capacity building and training of field staff and partners on monitoring and reporting of project activities against planned activities, indicators and targets;
New business development
· In collaboration with the Programme Manager, carry out research and track funding and partnership opportunities with current and potential donors, and assist in developing pre-positioning plans and participate in meetings with potential partners and donors;
· Participate in writing concept notes and proposal designs, including articulating theory of change, intervention model, log frame design and budgeting for health and nutrition projects.
Coordination, representation and relationship building:
· Represent JAM South Sudan in relevant National or State meetings and forums, ensuring active presence and effective participation in humanitarian coordination meetings, health cluster, nutrition cluster and other technical working groups to maintain a positive, continuous and visible presence for JAM;
· Maintain constant coordination with the Area Managers and field project staff in project implementation for all matters concerning health and nutrition programming. Create links with various health and nutrition actors and develop partnerships, where relevant and appropriate, including with specialised institutions and the private sector.
· Lead in the integration of health and nutrition programmes with other sectors (Food Assistance, FSL, WASH, Education, Protection) and work closely with other sector leads to foster synergies and integration.
· Share information in a collaborative, productive and cooperative manner with others in and outside the organisation
· A shared vision created among all staff on programme objectives and their respective roles in achieving programme targets
· Technical supervision and guidance provided to staff to facilitate adequate project implementation and achievement of the desired targets
· Agreed donor’s requirements are followed by all health and nutrition projects.
· Programme monitoring and evaluation (based on agreed indicators) regularly carried out, and timely reporting to stakeholders done.
· Mutual and trustful relations with MoH, partner agencies and other key stakeholders, including the community, established and sustained.
· Growth in health and nutrition programme portfolio, in terms of funding, partnerships and donor diversity.
Qualifications, skills and competencies required
· Bachelor degree in any of the following: Medicine, Nursing, Human Nutrition or Public Health. Master’s degree in the same or other development fields is required.
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience in acute emergency health and nutrition programme management, preparedness and response in fragile or complex contexts. Previous work experience in South Sudan, or similar context
· Specific technical expertise in monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning as it pertains to health and nutrition projects. Demonstrated experience collecting and analyzing key health and nutrition indicators and strong conceptual knowledge about theory of change;
· Knowledge of grants and operating procedures of key institutional donors, particularly Humanitarian Response Fund, UNICEF, WFP, DfID, Health Pooled Fund, Global Funds for TB, Aids and Malaria, USAID/PMI;
· Proven presentation, training and facilitation skills. Ability to prepare technical presentations for high level external engagement.
· Highly developed interpersonal and external communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching, partner focus, cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures;
· Capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances plus Ability to work under pressure and flexible to work late hours to meet deadlines.
· Competence and experience in using/applying SPSS, STATA, Epi Info, Nutri-Survey, Nutri- SMART, ODK and PowerPoint presentations;
· Fluency in English, both verbal and written is essential. Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage;
· Commitment to JAM’s ethos and values.
How to apply
All candidates should send their applications to :
Disclaimer: Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be short listed on a regular basis and we may offer this post before the closing date.
southsudanJobs.com is the place for jobseekers to find the job of their dreams and for recruiters to advertise their vacancies to find/reach the right candidates.