Health and Nutrition Coordinator
South Sudan Jobs
Assistant Country Director-Programmes
General Description of the Programme/GOAL
GOAL, is an International Humanitarian Non-Governmental Organization (INGO) with a presence in South Sudan since 1985 and has been responding to the ongoing crisis since 2013; with a focus on responding to needs in health, nutrition, WASH and Food security and livelihood. GOAL in South Sudan implements emergency, early recovery, and development focused health programs through a multi-sectoral programs approach in all the sites that includes Warrap and Greater Upper Nile state (GUNS) as well as Abyei Administrative Area (AAA). GOAL also runs a resilience-building programmes in Upper Nile State focusing on food security and livelihoods. Recently GOAL expanded its health programme to Kajo Keji in Central Equatoria state (CES). Currently GOAL is working with State Ministry of health (SMOH) in the three states supporting running of over 65 Health facilities and about 15 nutrition centers specifically in Ulang County of Upper Nile state. In addition, GOAL is involved in the national response to COVID-19 across all its operational areas.
GOAL is looking to recruit and experienced Health and Nutrition Coordinator to lead the implementation of GOAL’s Health and Nutrition programmes in the three states; Warrap, GUNS and CES of South Sudan. He/she will lead all project implementation, developing workplans, budgets, spenddown plans, providing technical support to enable quality and effective program implementation (including supervising activities, capacity building field teams, M&E, reporting), coordinate with key actors, in collaboration with Area Coordinators and M&E team set up and monitoring accountability mechanisms, facilitate learning within the project and build on best practices
Duties and responsibilities
- Support to program development and planning
· Conduct/update situation analysis for the program sector/s for development, design and management of health and Nutrition related programs. Research and report on development trends (e.g. political social, economic, health) for higher management use to enhance program management, efficiency, and delivery of results.
· Contribute to the development/establishment of sectoral program goals, objectives and strategies and results-based planning through analysis of health needs and areas for intervention and submission of recommendations for priority and goal setting.
· Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes by executing/administering a variety of technical program transactions, preparing materials/documentations and complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support program planning, results-based planning (RBM) and monitoring and evaluating results.
· Communicate regularly with Area Coordinators/Managers to discuss activity planning and implementation.
· Prepare required documentations/materials to facilitate the program review and approval process.
2. Program management, monitoring and delivery of results
· Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss operational and implementation issues, provide solutions, recommendations and/or alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level intervention and/or decision. Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned.
· Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts to assess programs and to report on required action/interventions at the higher level of program management.
· Monitor and report on the use of sectoral program resources (financial, human resource and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocation/goals, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity. Report on issues identified to ensure timely resolution by management/stakeholders.
· Support health and nutrition field managers to plan and develop health and nutrition work plans and budgets.
· Working closely with the ACD-Programmes to ensure regular communication with donors to share updates on challenges and programme progress.
· Participate in health and nutrition focused donor monitoring visits to GOAL program locations
· Prepare regular/mandated sectoral program/project reports for management, donors, and partners to keep them informed of program progress.
· Support field teams in ensuring that robust monitoring systems are in place and reviews are undertaken periodically.
· Ensure the three health projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with GOAL, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and CHS, WHO recommendations, etc.
3. Technical and operational support to program implementation
· Conduct regular program field visits and exchange information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress and provide technical support, take appropriate action to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for resolution. Report on critical issues, and potential problems for timely action to achieve results.
· Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, of GOAL strategies, processes and best practices on health and nutrition related issues to support program implementation, operations and delivery of results.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations to field staff on the quality of health programmes and interventions at relevant times.
- Lead, direct and manage emergency response mounted by GSS in cases of disease outbreaks in any of GOAL area of operation.
- Work with relevant PTT members at HQ and Regional levels to ensure programmes are meeting the required implementation and performance standards in line with GOAL Health and Nutrition performance standards
4. Networking and partnership building
· Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with the South Sudan’s government health and nutrition sectors, and other health partners through participation incoordination meetings and sharing of information and knowledge to enhance program implementation.
· Participate in appropriate inter-agency meetings on health and nutrition programmes to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on the HRP and other country level operational planning and preparation of health and nutrition programmes.
· Research information on potential donors and prepare resource mobilization materials and briefs for fund raising and partnership development purposes.
Key Performance Objectives
· Develop, revise, and update activity workplans for the health and nutrition team.
· Ensure high level of program quality and achievement of program objectives/results through effective monitoring, implementation, reporting, and learning
· Represent GOAL by regularly participating at the relevant sector coordination/cluster meetings to raise the profile of the organization.
· Provide key technical leadership and strategic guidance in the development, implementation, monitoring and learning from health and nutrition projects and programs
· In collaborate with MLE team design and implementation of special studies to showcase impact of selected health and nutrition interventions.
Behaviours (Values in practice)**
· Act as a representative of GOAL and demonstrate the highest standards of behaviour towards children and vulnerable adults both in your private and professional lives.
· Good understanding and values diversity and maximize diversity to achieve organizational goals
· Practicing accountability and integrity
· Building collaborative relationship with staff, partners as well as relevant government departments/units
Skills Requirements and experience
· Qualified Medical Doctor, Clinical Officer, Nurse with at least 5 years’ experience in similar position in INGO project management
· MSc course in Public Health /Nutrition and any other relevant experience an added advantage.
· Proven management/coordination experience with international organizations/agencies.
· Significant experience and proven track record in designing and developing large scope health and nutrition proposals
· Good knowledge of project cycle management for health projects
· Experience of community nutrition programming
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to effectively work in a multi-cultural context.
· Experience in liaising with government officials, other NGOs, donors e.g. EU/ECHO, USAID/OFDA, DFID, UN agencies and corporate entities
· Proven training and capacity building skills.
· Appreciation of the aims and objectives of GOAL.
· Willingness to travel to remote areas of South Sudan.
· Knowledge and experience of working in South Sudan will be an added advantage
· Very enthusiastic and able to work extra hours to achieve the objectives of the programme
· Fluency written and spoken English, spoken Arabic an added advantage
Children and vulnerable adults who come into contact with GOAL as a result of our activities must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
· Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
· Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
· Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
General Terms and Conditions
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.
How to apply
southsudanJobs.com is the place for jobseekers to find the job of their dreams and for recruiters to advertise their vacancies to find/reach the right candidates.