Role & Responsibilities
Provide technical advice and support to the field management and the health staff. Responsible to develop, lead, monitor and evaluate the health aspects of the country programme. Coordination at a senior level, with national and regional health authorities as well as other NGOs. Lead on all health (including mental health and psychosocial elements of proposals and reports, providing capacity building for national and international staff, promote best practice in the health programmes and contribute to the overall management of the country programme.
Medair is currently implementing four projects within South Sudan. Medair is providing emergency primary health care based on the basic package of health services to vulnerable host and displaced populations in Renk County. Health facilities were established by Medair on an emergency basis, but due to protracted needs they have become more established facilities. Medair has health and nutrition projects implementing CMAM alongside targeted health services in Aweil. The health programming in Leer County is focussed on community level interventions, in addition to a mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) project. Medair also maintains health and nutrition emergency response teams that are able to respond rapidly to any health or nutrition emergency in any area of South Sudan. Emergencies may include high mortality rates, disease outbreaks, population displacements, or emergency level global acute malnutrition rates.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based in South Sudan, Juba based with frequent travel to the field locations. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Health Project Technical Oversight
- Give technical advice to field managers and GSO on potential involvement in health program adaptations in light of COVID-19 and internal capacity for implementation.
- Provide technical support to the health teams in the three project sites, including the evaluation and impact analysis of current projects and support to the writing of donor proposals and reports within the required timeframes.
- Supervise and monitor the development of reporting systems for health data collection, analysis and follow-up and feedback to relevant staff, donors, partners and other agencies.
- Maintain an oversight of medicines and health supplies ordered for the three projects, supporting the health and logistics staff in the coordination and quality control of supplies.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in the project.
- Represent Medair, as needed if meetings are held online, at relevant national cluster, coordination, sector and bilateral meetings, working groups, with national and/or local government departments and any other relevant meetings or events, facilitating supportive synergies and overall progress in the health sector and avoiding duplication with the work of other agencies (e.g. NGOs, UN, etc).
- Be involved in the recruitment of health and staff for the country programme, providing advice on technical skills and experience as requested.
- Conduct at least weekly meetings with supported health project managers to review implementation status and provide technical support as needed.
- Create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching for health staff using online tools.
- Support line managers in inductions and appraisals of health staff, with regard to technical skills.
- Support the relevant field managers and GSO staff to plan and construct health budgets.
- Ensure the three health projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and CHS, WHO recommendations, etc. Follow the direction of the GSO Advisors regarding quality, strategy and technical guidelines.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations to GSO Advisors as well as field staff on the quality of health programmes and interventions at relevant times.
- Maintain a resource library for the health team and keep up-to-date with the latest trends and updates within the sector. Ensure all health staff have access to necessary and appropriate information.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Clinical degree (nurse or doctor), or Public Health degree. Clinical degree with Public Health degree strongly preferred. Medical doctor. Degree in Tropical Medicine desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- At least 3 years’ experience in managing programmes in international public health work, with at least 1 year in humanitarian emergency context.
- Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of public health programmes.
- Computer literate with strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and CHS Standards.
- Good report and proposal writing skills. Good negotiation skills. Excellent communication skills.
- Committed to team-building and able to develop and support other team members.
- Advanced leadership and project management skills. Committed to consultative leadership.
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
Profiles sought and Benefits Package for Global Support Office Staff.
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.