HEAD OF MISSION
MAGNA is a non-profit independent medical humanitarian organization. We provide medical assistance to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from healthcare. Our teams are made up of health professionals, logistic and administrative staff.
We recruit medical and non-medical personnel, collects private and institutional funds and raises awareness among the public about populations in danger. Using a small but highly committed group of staff and volunteers, we have achieved respectable results. We treat patients suffering from a wide array of illnesses and health needs (child health, malnutrition, sexual violence, women health, mental health, HIV/AIDS, malaria, cholera and other diseases).
Currentlly we have open missions in South Sudan, DR Congo, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq and Cambodia. Since start we have worked in over 15 countries in Asia, Europe, Africa and America.
In South Sudan, MAGNA has opened mission in 2011 and currentlly we are working in Jonglei, providing access to medical care for population in crisis, through static healthcare centres, mobile health and outreach interventions.
Being responsible for MAGNA operational response in the Mission. In collaboration with the operational cell, defining the mission operational strategy. Coordinating MAGNA program execution, identifying humanitarian challenges, representing MAGNA interests before third parties. Ensuring compliance to MAGNA ethical standards and policies as well as international and national laws and regulations, in order to realize organizational objectives and reach quality targets for the Mission.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Safety & Security: S/he is responsible for the safety & security of the mission.
- Programmes: S/he coordinates the teams and ensures that the programmes implemented on the mission are properly carried out. S/he also monitors needs and suggests new operations and development tracks for the mission.
- Human Resources: S/he ensures that the mission is adequately staffed and supervises the teams (defining objectives, follow-up).
- Logistical, administrative and financial monitoring: S/he ensures that logistical and administrative practices in place respect MAGNA procedures and formats and are in compliance with donors’ rules and regulations
- Medical and technical monitoring: S/he ensures that medical and technical practices respect MAGNA procedures and formats and are in compliance with MAGNA operational framework and policy.
- Representation: S/he represents the association in its relations with partners, donors,the media and different authorities.
- Relations with Headquarters: S/he ensures that information is properly circulated between Headquarters and the field and ensures that due dates are respected.
Specific objectives and related activities
- Initiating and leading the mission-wide operational strategy; including country policy, annual plan, budget and policy frameworks. Leading the management team translating the strategic objectives into operational activities. Monitoring developments in MAGNA general policies and strategies and adapting the annual plan of the mission accordingly.
- Monitoring and analyzing the political, humanitarian and medical situation in the country and in the region. Identifying potential fields of intervention and determining response strategies.
- Representing MAGNA towards external actors (national authorities, NGO’s, donors, media, etc.) to create commitment and negotiate terms and conditions for field operations.
— Integrating an internal and external communication policy for the mission to advocate for change.
- Leading the implementation of medical-humanitarian activities in the mission.
— Evaluating the progress and outcomes of activities to ensure that objectives are achieved and reporting to Headquarters
- Being responsible for the planning and coordination of all human, material and financial resources to ensure the overall performance of the mission
- Leading the mission and its staff, providing a clear vision for the direction of the mission and bringing staff together across functional and geographical lines to achieve the mission’s objectives
— Managing, coaching and developing direct reports in line with human resource policies
— Implementing Human Resources-policy and ensuring that MAGNA acts as a responsible employer in terms of working conditions and reduction of security and health risks.
— Ensuring staff and management team are aware of mission strategies, ambitions and implementation plans
- Ensuring the internal and external flow of information.
— keeping staff and HQ informed and updated of context and security related issues.
— producing all required planning and program performance reports in line with the HQ reporting cycle.
- Being responsible for all security aspects of the mission.
- Defining and ensuring the implementation of the security framework in the country, in order to ensure safety of staff and visitors across the mission.
Required knowledge and skills
University degree. Particularly in medicine, public health or paramedical. Previous working experience as a Project Coordinator will be essential.
- At least three years in management positions in humanitarian aid.
- Essential experience with MAGNA or other NGOs
- Essential working experience in developing countries.
Knowlege and skills
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- English and Mission language essential.
- Knowledge of institutional donor procedures (ECHO, UN agencies…)
Required Personal Characteristics(fitting into team, suitability for the job and assignment/mission)
- Good stress management
- Resistance to pressure
- Analytical capability
- Organized and methodical
- Strong sense of responsibilities
- Strong listening and empathy skills
- Ability to adapt, manage priorities and be pragmatic
- Diplomatic and with a sense of negotiation
- Good communication skills
- Honesty and rigor
EMPLOYED with a Fixed-Term Contract
Your gross monthly salary will reflect your post’s seniority & your cumulative weighted work experience. It includes as well per diem for all days you are working in your country of assignment.
Starting from 2.530 to 3.643 Euros
MAGNA field salaries and per diem are calculated in EUR and are not negotiable as they are part of a harmonized agreement across the MAGNA network.**
DAILY LIVING ALLOWANCES paid in local currency in the field (cca 550 EUR/month)
TRANSPORTATION: Round-trip transportation to and from home / mission, visas…
INSURANCE including medical coverage, 24/24 assistance and repatriation
BREAK POLICY: 5 working days at 3,6 and 9 months (200 USD break allowance + 400 USD flight)
PAID LEAVES POLICY: 20 days of paid leaves per year
How to apply
Interested applicants can send only their CV including education, qualifications, contact number and relevant documents: by email, to address
The email subject line MUST include in the title of email the following to be considered: “HoM SOUTH SUDAN 20201”. E-mails without job title will not be reviewed.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please ensure that you provide appropriate contact information (e-mail, mobile, etc.) and 3 professional references.
South Sudan Jobs southsudanjobs.com