Provide leadership and strategic direction to all humanitarian response programing aspects of Save the Children humanitarian and emergency response in South Sudan. The role holder will focus on advocacy, representation, policy, proposal and budget development, categorization of emergencies and support the field teams in expediting the implementation of humanitarian response projects. The role holder will directly report to Director Program Operations, and work closely with zonal heads of program implementation (HPIs) and collaborate with the other departments to ensure timely and efficient response that is integrated with pre-existing programming in the 3 zonal Offices.
The role holder will also ensure immediate and appropriate response to children’s needs during humanitarian crises as well as cross sector collaboration among technical units. S/he will ensure funding proposals are produced and donor reporting requirements are adhered to, and are of the highest standard and that Save the Children’s commitment to improving quality and accountability in humanitarian work is upheld, and complies with all relevant policies and procedures with respect to child protection, health and safety etc.
In addition, the role holder will represent Save the Children at high-level donor meetings and where emergency programing is concerned, ensuring an appropriate positioning of Save the Children and accountability in our humanitarian programming
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
- Recommended minimum of 8 years’ experience in humanitarian programme management, preparedness and response in several fragile or complex contexts
- Significant experience of managing logistics, security and operations
- Understanding of international humanitarian aid systems and agencies
- Experience of working in insecure environments
- Ample knowledge of humanitarian response and transitional program concepts, policies, frameworks, strategies and components, as well as development concepts and frameworks
- Extensive on the ground experience in multi-sectoral humanitarian response, including food aid programs
- Experience in logistics management
- Solid budgeting skills and knowledge of key donor regulations
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Commitment to Save the Children’s practices and procedures and ways of working with children
- Willingness to work and travel in often difficult and insecure environments
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written
- Competency in local language is preferred but not required
- Commitment to Save the Children values
Contract duration: 12 months
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at careers
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents