Head of Finance
Job Title: Head of Finance (HOF)
Supervisor: Country Director, BRAC South Sudan (Direct Line)
Director Finance, BRAC International (Dotted Line)
Supervisee:Senior Finance Officers, Project Accountants and Field Finance Officers
Location :Juba, South Sudan with frequent (30%) field travels
Experience Level:At least a decade of experience in finance and accounts.
Deputy Country Director, Head of Operations, Senior HR Officer, Head of Area Offices, Program Managers and Technical Advisors, BI Regional Staff, BI HQ Finance staff.
About BRAC South Sudan
Founded by Sir Fazle Abed in 1972, the acronym of “BRAC” stands for an idea of a World where everyone has an equal opportunity to realize their potential. With a strong landmark in Bangladesh, BRAC has grown into the World’s largest development organization, tackling poverty at scale. In 2009, BRAC International (BI) was set-up as a non-profit foundation in the Netherlands to govern and manage all BRAC entities outside Bangladesh. Currently BI operates in 11 countries (Africa and Asia) whilst offering technical assistance to 34 governments Worldwide. BI is famous for investing in communities’ own human and material resources, catalyzing lasting change and creating an ecosystem in which the poor have the chance to seize control of their own lives. BI has been operational in South Sudan since 2006 and legally incorporated as BRAC South Sudan. Over the years, BRAC has delivered programs in livelihoods, health, education, micro-finance and emergency response. Currently BRAC South Sudan is working in the five states of Eastern Equatoria, Central Equatoria, Western Equatoria, Western Bahr el Ghazal and Northern Bahr el Ghazal. The current programs include (1) USAID contract for the Education for Peace, Recovery, and Resilience (EPRR) project, (2) Global Affairs Canada-funded project for Community-based Education (COBE) and (3) UNOPS-funded Third Party Monitoring (TPM) project.
The Head of Finance (HOF) is responsible for providing leadership, technical support, supervision, and guidance to the Accounts and Finance (including Grants & Contracts). She / he will provide guidance for internal controls, setting financial targets, implementing fund-raising strategies, developing budgets and financial reports, engaging with donors, monitoring expenditure and cash flow, and managing tax compliance. She/he is the custodian of finance processes to ensure BRAC South Sudan is compliant with donor policies, local regulatory and BRAC International policies and guidelines. She/he will be a key member of the Country Management Team (CMT) supporting teams to achieve Annual Operating Plan (AOP) and other entity targets while driving efficiency. Also serves as chief adviser for the Country Office on all matters of finance, budgeting, audit and compliance.
● Oversee accounts and finance management for all operations of BRAC South Sudan including consolidation, ensure maximum core cost recovery achieved through effective budgeting and control.
● Lead the Finance & Accounts team while work closely with other departments specially IT, Operations (Procurement, Logistics and supply) and Internal Audit,
● Apply analytical procedure and ratio analysis in order to support timely decision making.
● Leadership in development of budgets for all proposals/new project as well as fundraising.
● Ensure compliance with Local regulatory issues and timely submission of withholding taxes.
● Support audit (internal and external audit) and ensure compliance with BI policies and internal controls.
● Manage country treasury in an effective and efficient manner, analyse country scenario and prepare a sustainable annual budget for NGO operation.
● Advise country office on matters finance and accounts
● Produce and circulate budget variance reports for all programmes and conduct regular meeting with teams
● Submit scheduled donor reports as per the guidelines.
● Maintain liaison with donors and work with external/ internal auditors to ensure clean reporting.
● Submission of monthly accounts to BI; dealing with payroll related issue, cash management, accounts payable and donor reporting.
● Improve the quality of finance staff through capacity of development and mentorship
● Lead the country risk management process and coordinate the Country risk management committee.
● Establish a safeguarding culture across all level of the programme by implementing the safeguarding policy.
● Ensure that team members are well trained, supported and have access to resources regarding issues that are identified and actioned in accordance with the safeguarding policy and procedure.
● Work with Head of Financial Planning, Reporting and Control, BI on Finance & Accounting related issues.
● Report any financial and regulatory issues to the Country Director and if required to the Regional Director, Africa and Director Finance, BI
● Work on special projects as required by the BRAC International Senior Management Team.
● Establish an effective filing system that provides easy access to finance-related information and proper documentation of all financial transactions
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
● Ontime reporting to HQ, donors, regulators, lenders ensuring quality
● Managing the fund flow as per business plan, proper investment of funds and ensure sustainability
● No major financial issues from External / Internal Auditor; appraisal from donor and government authority;
● Annual Entity Tax return and all other regulatory filling completed on time, Tax clearance certificate obtained
● Effective Management of liquidity through branch, region and entity cash forecast and fund management, ensure no cashflow shortage for operating activities.
● Robust internal control executed and fraud minimised
● Training needs assessment of finance staff and capacity building workshops for finance and nonfinance staffs
● Safeguarding of BRAC property & assets
● Practicing BRAC values
Required Qualifications/Personal Specifications (Experience, Knowledge and skills)
Experience and Knowledge
● At least 10 years of experience in managing Finance and Accounts with 5years of experience at senior levels
● Strong management experience with INGOs in humanitarian context including field finance for both emergency and development programs
● University Degree in Finance, Accounts, Commerce or a related field with Master’s Degree in Business Administration or Finance or Commerce is required.
● Professional qualifications in CA or CPA or ACCA or ACMA as a chartered accountant is essential
● Extensive experience in managing funds from institutional donors USAID, EU, Global Affairs Canada as well as UN agencies is mandatory.
● Experience in managing relationship with external stakeholders such as donor, banking and legal authorities.
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google tools, as well experience working with accounting and payroll software or information management systems.
● Good understanding of main program sectors of BRAC South Sudan that includes education, WASH, health, food security and livelihoods, and humanitarian emergency
● Substantial knowledge and experience of effective financial and budgetary control and supporting programs to stay on course with implementation
● Exceptional general management and communication skills, including ability to communicate effectively with people of varied professional and cultural backgrounds.
● Previous experience of managing and developing a sizable team and the ability to lead, motivate and develop others to achieve high impact results.
● Strongly analytical, including the ability to translate strategy into tactics and processes
● Self-starter in a complex operating environment, taking ownership of multiple work streams concurrently
Skills and Competencies
● Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to BRAC’s mission.
● Recognised leader with management expertise
● Highly cooperative with excellent communication skills
● Strong strategic and creative thinking
● Excellent Financial Reporting Skills
● Ability to make realistic forecasting and analysis
● Excellent knowledge in Payroll Management
● Strong Account reconciliation abilities
● Advance knowledge of Microsoft office
● Excellent Donor reporting skills
● Excellent knowledge of Value for Money (VfM)
● Strong Team Management Aptitudes
● Ability to manage External/internal audit,
● Advanced skills in Budgeting and variance analysis
● Excellent knowledge in Multicurrency reporting
● Advance knowledge in Tax Management
● Excellent knowledge in Internal controls
● Excellent knowledge in Forex Management,
● Advance knowledge in Treasury Management
● Strong leadership style that reflects high degree of Emotional Intelligence (EI)
● Ability to lead while nurturing talent of the teams.
How to apply
How to apply (Application Instructions)
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should follow this link https://forms.gle/q3yT66abNVHGNyQJ6 to submit their applications by 13:00hrs April 14, 2021 (Juba time). It should be noted that beyond this time the system will automatically shut-down and no more submissions will be accepted. Should you have any difficulties, queries or need more information, please contact our HR on firstname.lastname@example.org. In compliance COVID 19 guidelines, BRAC will not accept hand delivered application that would increase the risk of transmission of the deadline virus. Due to the urgency of this recruitment, interviews will be conducted on an on-going basis and the position may be offered before the deadline. BRAC is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. BRAC prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any International.