Grants and MEAL Manager
Position: Grants and MEAL Manager
Location: Juba, South Sudan, with travel in country
Duration: 12 months with possible extension
Reports to: Deputy Country Director, Programs
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
RI believes that gender equality is a basic right for all people, and it is critical to directly address gender-based discrimination and promote gender equality in order to ensure sustainable development.
The Grants and MEAL Manager will lead the Grants and MEAL unit at RI South Sudan. The Grants and MEAL Unit serves as the facilitator for grants management and MEAL processes in country. The Grants and MEAL Unit’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, ensuring timely and quality reporting, facilitating grant opening and closeout processes, implementing large-scale MEAL processes for the RI South Sudan program. The Grants and M&E Manager will manage the country MEAL workplan and strategy implementation, help establish and manage a data collection system, and lead assessments and help co-facilitate regular lesson learned exercises and project reviews. This position has three direct reports.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
The Grants & MEAL Manager’s specific responsibilities are as follows:
- Working with the DCD-Programs, support development of a country MEAL strategy
- Develop and manage MEAL team country-level workplan
- Conduct an initial review of data collection tools and collection processes to support the development of project and country-level database
- Establish context-relevant beneficiary feedback mechanisms, ensuring meaningful participation of service users and community members
- Support indicator tracking and work with project leads and the DCD-Programs to ensure regular review of project log-frames to ensure activities and achievements are on track
- Lead on country-wide MEAL initiatives,
- Visit and monitor field activities to help mobilization and general implementation, and provide support to Project Leads as needed
- Contribute to project follow-up meetings and ensure adequate follow-up on agreed action points.
- Provide capacity building on grants related issues, documentation and visibility activities for field teams
Grants Management & Reporting (40%)
- Liaise wit RI’s global and regional support offices to ensure timely award and grant amendment processing
- Support the program team throughout the entire grant/project lifecycle. This includes:
- Work with the DCD-programs and relevant Project Leads to support mobilization of projects prior to award signature
- Support recruitment and procurement planning with program teams during mobilization and regular project/BVA reviews
- Support the facilitation of grant opening meetings, quarterly grant review meetings, and grant close out meetings in collaboration with the Finance Manager and DCD-Programs
- Coordinate the development of sub-grant agreements and any subsequent modifications;
- Lead, follow up, and coordinate the timely close out of grant contracts
- Work closely with the program and finance teams to develop standard reporting templates, and a reporting calendar for all report submissions (establishing clear internal and external deadlines)
- Share email reminders each month with reporting templates that will support improved narrative and logframe reporting and timely donor submissions
- Must possess strong communication skills and should be confident meeting and engaging with donors along with the DCD-programs and Sector Leads
- Keep RI’s internal grant tracker updated with all relevant milestones, the status of grand amendments and/or extensions, and ensure essential documents are uploaded properly.
- Support the back up of important program documentation to RI’s internal server (Box) for South Sudan Programs. This includes BVA review session meeting notes, spend down plans and work plans for all grants, and other project documentation.
- Support on program development including proposal writing as and when required
People management and capacity building (10%)
· Line manage Juba-based Grants and MEAL staff, ensuring appropriate and timely performance management
· Develop capacity strengthening plan for field-level MEAL team
· Develop and roll out training and job aids to field-level MEAL team
Qualifications & requirements:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Master in International Development, or a extensive experience in international development, humanitarian studies, statistics etc.
- Minimum of 3 years working in MEAL in humanitarian settings, including Health, WASH and Protection programming
- Minimum of 2 years professional experience in managing grants, in a humanitarian / development setting
- Demonstratable understating of data analysis packages including Strata and/or SPSS
- In depth knowledge of quantitative and qualitative data collection methodologies
- Wide experience in effective strategic level communication and coordination with national partners, central and local authorities, NGO partners, UN agencies and other relevant stakeholders
- In-depth knowledge of international development programming
- An understanding of the operating in the South Sudan context
- Excellent writing and research skills and computer literacy, including previous donor and MEAL report writing experience
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate complex activities, meet deadlines, and exercise sound judgment
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team or independently
- Fluency in English and strong English writing skills are required
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment. Must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skill
- Demonstrable experience in capacity development
- Strong people management skills.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.**
· Transparency and Accountability
· Agility and Innovation
Living Conditions/Environmental Conditions
This position is based in Juba, South Sudan and requires travel to field office locations within the country, and offers an opportunity to join a diverse and open workplace, with a team committed to inclusion, innovation, and personal development. We also offer:
· Self-contained living accommodation (own bedroom, kitchenette and sitting area) in a very safe shared compound in Juba.
· 6-week R&R cycle with a financial contribution towards the R&R costs
· Very competitive compensation, Danger Pay and daily post differential among other benefits
· Access to RI’s award-winning learning management system with a wide menu of training resources, and internal/external training courses. **
How to Apply
Interested candidates are required to submit a detailed CV and cover letter by February 27th, 2021. We greatly appreciate your interest in working with RI, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Due to the critical nature of this assignment, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and candidates will be interviewed prior to the closing date that may appear on any of the job boards where this vacancy is posted.
*Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.***
How to apply
Interested applicants please follow this link to apply;