The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO representatives, is to assistant governments to develop policies , programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The FAO Representation in South Sudan is organizes in three main units: programme, Operations and administration. The current portfolio of projects in South Sudan includes activities related to agriculture (crop), livestock, Fisheries, Natural Resource management, food information systems is implemented with humanitarian, transitional and development funding. The incumbent will contribute to the country’s programme and portfolio as foreseen in the project he/she will coordinate and be assigned.
Reports to the Head of Programmes
- Oversee the implementation of the overall value chain related interventions in SAFER focussed areas.
Tasks and responsibilities
· Undertake desk/document review majorly focusing on the Country Programme Framework (CPF) and the Resilience Strategy, knowledge products, project documents and proposals. The review will analytically look at how the documents refer to gender equality, differing needs, priorities, and constraints of women and men, use of gender disaggregated data, social economic analysis, roles of women, and the approaches and strategies adopted to address the constraints
· Conduct Focus group discussions (FGDs) with staff from different units at the Juba Country Office. The focus group discussions will be used to understand how gender is integrated in different units, issues of partnership and strategies to strengthen gender in the respective units
· Conduct Interviews with program staff and project managers at the different field offices on gender in project planning, concept note development, monitoring and evaluation and capacity development.
· Conduct Key Informant Interviews (KIIs) with key informants drawn from relevant ministries i.e. Gender Focal Points from the Ministry of Gender Child and Social Welfare, Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Livestock and Ministry of Environment and Forestry
- Perform other related duties as requested.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Bachelor’s degree in Development/Gender Studies or any equivalent Social Sciences degree
- Minimum 5 years of working experience preferably in carrying out gender audits and assessments
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO official languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian) for Consultants. For PSA.SBS working knowledge of English is sufficient.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Good interpersonal, communications skills
- Sound knowledge and experience in writing reports
- Good computer skills
- Good knowledge of the UN system, procedures and operational activities would be an advantage
- Demonstrated understanding of gender and gender mainstreaming, gender analysis and/or gender program management.
- Good analytical skills and practical exposure in applying gender analysis and mainstreaming in the project cycle