Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in seven countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Haiti and Somalia. Action Against Hunger-USA has approximately 1,500 staff based in the various country offices, Head Quarter in New York City and Operational Centre in Nairobi. Additional growth is anticipated.
About the job……
You’ll contribute to ending world hunger by …
providing strategic and systematic support on the implementation of gender-responsive programs as well as spearhead gender program development across the South Sudan Mission.
Key activities in your role will include:
- Lead in the development, management, and implementation of gender-focused and gender integration activities for all program components
- Build and promote internal capabilities in mainstreaming gender within Action Against Hunger Program in collaboration with Gender Focal Points
- Lead in capacity building of County staff in consolidating, validating and analyzing data disaggregated by sex, age and other diversities.
- Facilitate the transfer of gender information and updates between the Gender Task Force and South Sudan country office.
- Prepare and disseminate gender assessment data at appropriate national and county forums.
- Develop and maintain positive strategic working relations with a wide network of partners, including Government, partners and NGOs.
- Advocate with donors and other partners including governments for support of gender related activities including gender mainstreaming in respective program/project delivery.
- Promote knowledge sharing, documentation and dissemination of good practices on gender equality, women’s empowerment and rights, motivate, and engage peers to share ideas and engage with the Gender Agenda.
- Provide analysis and strategic advice at the country office on current gender issues, opportunities and gender upcoming events i.e. 16 days of activism against Gender-Based Violence.
- Prepare quality and timely donor reports as per the Action Against Hunger and donor reporting requirements.
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, Anthropology, Gender and Development Studies or other Social Sciences related discipline.
- You have a minimum of 3 years work experience on similar position with similar setting and responsibility.
- You have advanced knowledge of main donor requirements in terms of gender integration including GAC, USAID, SIDA, ECHO, among others.
- You possess practical skills in participatory learning and action and facilitating collaborative problem-solving.
- You have the ability to foster commitment and build capacity among activity staff and in-country actors to ensure gender mainstreaming.
- You are able to engage, network with, and build consensus among a wide range of stakeholders, including senior government officials, NGOs (local and international) and other sectors.
- You have strong project management experience for complex integrated programming.
- You have demonstrated capacity to lead the collection, analysis, and utilization of information from a broad range of sources.
Our Core values.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA’s five core competencies
Respect- we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
Integrity-: we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work. conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
Creativity-we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
Excellence– we strive to provide services that meet and even exceed the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
Empowerment– we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
Gender Equality Commitments
- Ability to foster an environment that reinforces values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect for all cultures.
What we offer.
Action Against Hunger values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These include but are not limited to: –
- Health Insurance
- R&R Breaks
- Paid annual leave (vacation)
- Training opportunities
How to apply
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the link below. All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated resume and both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. Closing date for applications: 12th February 2021.
For further information about Action Against Hunger, please visit our website www.actionagainsthunger.org