South Sudan Jobs southsudanjobs.com
Position Title : Finance Officer
Duty Station : Juba, South Sudan
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 25 August 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (COM) and direct supervision of the Head of Resources Management in South Sudan, and in coordination with relevant units at Headquarters (HQ), the Administrative Centres (Manila and Panama) and the Regional Office in Nairobi, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for coordinating the budgetary and financial functions of the Mission and its sub-offices.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Monitor and oversee the financial management for all activities in South Sudan Sub-Offices.
- Coordinate the preparation of donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures.
- Ensure the accounting data are properly entered in PRISM, in accordance with IOM financial rules and practices, maintain accurate records of PRISM entries including hard copies of all vouchers and supporting documentations.
- Review the monthly accounting returns for accuracy and ensure that these are submitted on a timely basis and are completed according to IOM Accounting Policies and Procedures.
- Prepare annual budget for the Country Office, monitor budget control and analyze variances between budget and actual expenditures, and assist in the preparation of budgets for new programmes.
- Inspect payroll versus budgets, ensuring that salaries are correctly allocated to projects consistent with IOM’s projectization criteria.
- Provide support to Project Managers throughout the project cycle to ensure compliance with IOM’s policies and procedures and any donor-specific requirements.
- Support and offer guidance to other units (programme and sub offices) on matters related to IOM financial issues with a view to increasing their effectiveness.
- Make recommendations on procedural improvements and train national staff in the relevant areas of accounting and finance. Facilitate and support knowledge building and sharing in accounting and finance.
- Liaise with other internal functional units of the Country Office, as well as banking, donors and government counterparts and other stakeholders as required in the performance of the accounting function.
- Oversee the billing, cost recovery and reporting of the Humanitarian Hub in the Sub-Offices. Implement proper controls to ensure accuracy and completeness of expenses and collection.
- Liaise with relevant units at HQ, relevant Administrative Centres and Regional Office in Nairobi with regard to the accounting and financial activities of the Country Office; report regularly on the financial situation of the Mission and provide other information as necessary.
- Supervise and train finance staff on IOM financial policies and procedures.
- Follow up on advances/long pending balances in vendor accounts and work closely with relevant units to ensure timely settlement and to keep vendor balances to the minimum.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Accounting/Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Professional certification as a Chartered Accountant or Certified Public Accountant is an advantage.
• Experience in accounting, budgeting and business, good knowledge of human resources management;
• Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with the international institutions;
• Ability to prepare clear and concise reports, supervise staff and coordinate administrative
• Knowledge of IPSAS and SAP a distinct advantage;
• High level of computer literacy, in particular, experience in MS Excel and computerized accounting systems and software;
• Knowledge of IOM accounting systems, software and procedures an advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 25 August 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 12.08.2020 to 25.08.2020
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2020 174 Finance Officer (P3) Juba, South Sudan (56562439) Released
Posting: Posting NC56562440 (56562440) Released
southsudanJobs.com is the place for jobseekers to find the job of their dreams and for recruiters to advertise their vacancies to find/reach the right candidates.