ob Title: Finance Manager
Supervisor: Country Director, JDF South Sudan (Direct Line)
Chief Finance Officer, JDF HQ (Dotted Line)
Supervisee: Senior Finance Officer, Project Accountant and Field Finance Officers
Location: Juba, South Sudan with frequent (30%) field travels
Experience Level: At least a decade of experience in finance and accounts
Country Program Director, Human Resource Manager, Field Coordinator, Program Managers and HQ Finance staff
About JDF South Sudan
John Dau Foundation (JDF) was established as a 501 non-profit foundation in 2007 to develop health facilities that do not exist for most of the populations of Duk, Twic East and Bor South Counties in the State of Jonglei in South Sudan. Currently JDF operates in South Sudan whilst offering technical assistance to improve the health of the South Sudanese people. Driving this mission is a vision that all the S. Sudanese people deserve access to quality healthcare. JDF is famous for investing in communities’ own human and material resources, catalyzing lasting change and creating a healthy environment in which the poor have the chance to seize control of their own lives. JDF has been operational in South Sudan and has delivered programs in Health, Nutrition and Emergency response.
The Finance Manager is responsible for providing leadership, technical support, supervision, and guidance to the Accounts and Finance (including Grants & Contracts). She / he will provide guidance for internal controls, setting financial targets, implementing fund-raising strategies, developing budgets and financial reports, engaging with donors, monitoring expenditure and cash flow, and managing tax compliance. She/he is the custodian of finance processes to ensure JDF South Sudan is compliant with donor policies, local regulatory and JDF policies and guidelines. She/he will be a key member of the Country Management Team (CMT) supporting teams to achieve Annual Operating Plan (AOP) and other entity targets while driving efficiency. Also serves as chief adviser for the Country Office on all matters of finance, budgeting, audit and compliance.
· Oversee accounts and finance management for all operations of JDF South Sudan including consolidation, ensure maximum core cost recovery achieved through effective budgeting and control.
· Lead the Finance & Accounts team while working closely with other departments specially IT, Operations (Procurement, Logistics and supply) and Internal Audit,
· Apply analytical procedure and ratio analysis in order to support timely decision making.
· Leadership in development of budgets for all proposals/new project as well as fundraising.
· Ensure compliance with Local regulatory issues and timely submission of withholding taxes.
· Support audit (internal and external audit) and ensure compliance with JDF policies and internal controls.
· Manage country treasury in an effective and efficient manner, analyze country scenario and prepare a sustainable annual budget for NGO operation.
· Advise country office on matters related to finance and accounts
· Produce and circulate budget variance reports for all programmes and conduct regular meeting with teams
· Submit scheduled donor reports as per the guidelines.
· Maintain liaison with donors and work with external/ internal auditors to ensure clean reporting.
· Submission of monthly accounts to CFO; dealing with payroll related issue, cash management, accounts payable and donor reporting.
· Improve the quality of finance staff through capacity of development and mentorship
· Lead the country risk management process and coordinate the Country risk management committee.
· Establish a safeguarding culture across all level of the programme by implementing the safeguarding policy.
· Ensure that team members are well trained, supported and have access to resources regarding issues that are identified and actioned in accordance with the safeguarding policy and procedure.
· Work with Head of Financial Planning, Reporting and Control in HQ on Finance & Accounting related issues.
· Report any financial and regulatory issues to the Country Director and if required to the Program Director and CFO JDF HQ
· Work on special projects as required by the JDF Senior Management Team.
· Establish an effective filing system that provides easy access to finance-related information and proper documentation of all financial transactions
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
· On time reporting to HQ, donors, regulators, lenders ensuring quality
· Managing the fund flow as per business plan, proper investment of funds and ensure sustainability
· No major financial issues from External / Internal Auditor; appraisal from donor and government authority;
· Annual Entity Tax return and all other regulatory filling completed on time, Tax clearance certificate obtained
· Effective Management of liquidity through branch, region and entity cash forecast and fund management, ensures no cash flow shortage for operating activities.
· Robust internal control executed and fraud minimized
· Training needs assessment of finance staff and capacity building workshops for finance and nonfinancial staffs
· Safeguarding of JDF property & assets
· Practicing JDF values
Required Qualifications/Personal Specifications (Experience, Knowledge and skills)
Experience and Knowledge
· At least 6 years of experience in managing Finance and Accounts with 2years of experience at senior levels
· Strong management experience with INGOs and NNGOs in humanitarian context including field finance for both emergency and development programs
· University Degree in Finance, Accounts, Commerce or a related field with Master’s Degree in Business Administration or Finance or Commerce is required.
· Professional qualifications in CA or CPA or ACCA or ACMA as a chartered accountant is essential
· Extensive experience in managing funds from institutional donors USAID, DFID, EU, SSHF, as well as UN agencies is mandatory.
· Experience in managing relationship with external stakeholders such as donor, banking and legal authorities.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google tools, as well experience working with accounting and payroll software or information management systems.
· Good understanding of main program sectors of JDF South Sudan that includes Nutrition, Health and humanitarian emergency
· Substantial knowledge and experience of effective financial and budgetary control and supporting programs to stay on course with implementation
· Exceptional general management and communication skills, including ability to communicate effectively with people of varied professional and cultural backgrounds.
· Previous experience of managing and developing a sizable team and the ability to lead, motivate and develop others to achieve high impact results.
· Strongly analytical, including the ability to translate strategy into tactics and processes
· Self-starter in a complex operating environment, taking ownership of multiple work streams concurrently
Skills and Competencies
· Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to JDF’s mission.
· Recognized leader with management expertise
· Highly cooperative with excellent communication skills
· Strong strategic and creative thinking
· Excellent Financial Reporting Skills
· Ability to make realistic forecasting and analysis
· Excellent knowledge in Payroll Management
· Strong Account reconciliation abilities
· Advance knowledge of Microsoft office
· Excellent Donor reporting skills
· Excellent knowledge of Value for Money (VfM)
· Strong Team Management Aptitudes
· Ability to manage External/internal audit,
· Advanced skills in Budgeting and variance analysis
· Excellent knowledge in Multicurrency reporting
· Advance knowledge in Tax Management
· Excellent knowledge in Internal controls
· Excellent knowledge in Forex Management,
· Advance knowledge in Treasury Management
· Strong leadership style that reflects high degree of Emotional Intelligence (EI)
· Ability to lead while nurturing talent of the teams.
· Commitment to Child safeguarding Policy and Protection of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA)**
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) both must be in English to Hr@johndaufoundation.org marked with subject line” FINANCE MANAGER”
JDF provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. JDF encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process..
Applications close on the 22nd of April 2021. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of the position, JDF has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.