Finance and Operations Manager
CRS/South Sudan is seeking a Finance and Operations Manager to ensure successful management of the anticipated four-year USAID funded Increasing Community Resilience through Agriculture in South Sudan. The contract will seek to increase the productivity of the agriculture sector, increase farmer organization and social cohesion, strengthen savings led financing, diversify livelihoods, and improve the demand and supply (variety and quality) of nutritious food in local markets throughout the country. Hiring is contingent upon successful receipt of the contract and donor approval of the candidate.
The Finance and Operations Manager will be responsible for overall budget monitoring and compliance oversight of the Increasing Community Resilience through Agriculture contract and all related subcontracts. The candidate will ensure a high level of resource stewardship, strict financial accountability, and financial risk (including partners’ financial management systems, processes, and practices). S/he will oversee the design and implementation of strong internal controls and appropriate financial reporting procedures and policies for CRS and partners to manage risks associated with contract management, safeguard USAID resources, and achieve consistent compliance with USAID and CRS contract agreement, approved workplan/budget, policies, guidelines, and procedures. S/he will coordinate partner assessments and the identification of support needs and their implementation. S/he will oversee the following operational functions: finance, human resources, supply chain (logistics, procurement, and fleet), security, administration, and information and communication technology. S/he will anticipate and manage financial and operational needs and delivery challenges, and identify and implement improvement solutions, as needed, to minimize the projects exposure to financial and operational risk. S/he will lead teams spread across multiple locations and oversee partner implementation of activities. S/he will actively coordinate with all other CRS programs and teams undertaking similar interventions and working in the same target areas. Together with the program’s technical team, s/he will be based in Bor town, Jonglei state and conduct regular and extended field visits to remote and insecure field locations.
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, or Business Administration with courses in accounting, qualification in accounting (CPA/ACCA or equivalent), or a related field with a focus on accounting required. Additional education may substitute for some experience.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in a similar position covering finance, human resources, supply chain (logistics, procurement, and fleet), security, administration, and information and communication technology.
- Experience with USAID contract financial management.
- Experience with various donor regulations, especially USAID. Understanding of the Federal Acquisitions Regulations (FAR) and Generally Accepted Commodity Accountability Principles (GACAP).
Required Languages: English
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Significant experience in establishing and strengthening financial and operation systems including planning, internal controls, recruitment, training, and partnership management in conflict and resource poor settings.
- Strong analytical, planning, monitoring, organizational, and problem-solving skills, with the ability to make sound judgments and decisions and offer innovative and contextualized solutions.
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics.
- Self-motivated, problem solving individual with high levels of initiative. Proactive, resourceful, and solutions-/results-oriented. Ability to work collaboratively and independently.
- Experience and skill in implementing matrix management and remote management supervision for field teams and partners. Staff management abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
- Demonstrated capacity to build, mentor, and lead diverse teams in challenging field conditions responding rapidly to evolving challenges, devising appropriate solutions, and achieving results.
- Demonstrated capacity to live and work in remote and insecure field locations with basic amenities and few or no other international staff and adhere a strict curfew and movement restrictions.
- Cultural awareness, capacity to learn rapidly, and adapt management approaches to varying cultural and security contexts. Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with culturally diverse groups.
- Good presentation and facilitation skills for diverse groups.
- A professional certification in Accounting (CPA/ACCA or equivalent) or a related field highly preferred.
- Knowledge of USAID policies, regulations, and guidelines highly preferred.
- Management experience a plus. Experience with an INGO strongly preferred.
- Experience with consortium arrangement, particularly across multiple geographical areas.
- Experience in coordinating and sharing program staff, facilities, and resources with multiple projects and teams working in the same location.
- Substantial budgeting, budget management, budget/expense analysis, and accounting experience.
- Knowledge of local law in taxation and local regulatory reporting procedures a plus.
- Knowledge of Oracle/ERP or similar financial reporting software highly preferred. Proficiency in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and Web Conferencing Applications.
- Professional capacity in Arabic and local South Sudanese languages a plus.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
· Continuous Improvement & Innovation
· Builds Relationships
· Develops Talent
· Strategic Mindset
· Accountability & Stewardship
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.