IRC began working in South Sudan in 1989. South Sudan declared independence in July 2011 following decades of brutal civil war. The security situation remains fragile and significant operational challenges are evident. IRC-South Sudan operates a country office in Juba, field offices in Lakes, Unity, Northern Bahr el Ghazal and Central Equatoria states. Currently, IRC South Sudan implements programs in primary health care, community case management, environmental health, women’s protection and empowerment, protection and access to justice and livelihoods.
SCOPE OF WORK
Under the supervision of Senior Operations Coordinator, the Field Coordinator will provide leadership and support to the Aweil East and Panthou operation team to ensure rapid implementation of project deliverables.
Field Operational Management
• Coordinate all operational functions to ensure overall management of Malualkon and Panthou operational support teams (Supply Chain, HR & Admin and Finance)
• Ensure operational support for program teams and coordinate with sector coordinators and managers for effective implementation of all project activities.
• Coordinate with Humanitarian Access and Security Coordinator on Malualkon and Panthou security plans and protocols on a regular basis and ensure they are always up to date.
• Ensure health, safety and security protocols are always followed, and take corrective, timely actions as required and in consultation with Senior Operations Coordinator
• Support budget holders in review of budget vs. actual reports with operations staff and ensure appropriate action is taken in a timely fashion.
• Supervise the Supply Chain Officer – Malualkon to ensure all aspects of supply chain support, including procurement, stock management, asset management, vehicle and equipment renewal, maintenance and repair (including communications and computer equipment) is properly managed.
• Ensure compliance with IRC and donor finance and logistics policies, including all aspects of procurement and asset management.
• Guarantee adequate communication and coordination between field locations in Malualkon and Panthou, technical coordination staff and country office programs as well as program and operational issues.
• Support emergency needs assessments and emergency program implementation in response to the developing humanitarian situation.
• Together with program and grant staff, develop programs and proposals for rapid and timely support of populations affected by conflict.
• Participate in the review of operations plan to support the program activities and the scale up programming according to the approved SAP and response strategy.
HR and Staff Development
• Ensure the ongoing capacity building of operations team (SC, Admin, and Finance) through support to direct and technical supervisors in ensuring staff performance evaluations and individual development plans
• Support field staff in the implementation of personnel policies including coaching, performance evaluation, staff development, and disciplinary measures.
Coordination and Representation
• Support the Coordinators to ensure quality implementation of the IRC Malualkon and Panthou program interventions.
• Actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders at the State level including donors, government actors, local traditional leadership, Client populations and their representatives, etc.
• Establish and maintain networks with UN, INGOs, and local partners to promote strategic partnerships.
• Work hand – in – hand with the IRC South Sudan Senior Management team and IRC advocates to represent IRC in the local Courts of Law in greater Aweil.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Senior Operations Coordinator
Position directly supervises: Field Supply Chain department, Finance Officer, HR & Admin Officer, & Program Project Managers
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Closely works with Health Coordinator, ERD Coordinator, WPE Coordinator, Child Protection Coordinator, Nutrition Coordinator, Maternal Health Coordinator, M&E Coordinator and Manager, Senior Grants Manager, Supply Chain Coordinator, HR Coordinator, Deputy Director Programs and Finance Controller.
External: May serve as IRC representative in outside meetings, other non-governmental organizations, inter-agency groups and foundations.
• Master’s degree required (management-related or general operations preferred);
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience managing operations and/or projects in developing countries, preferably in Africa.
• Demonstrated ability to manage field staff and remote field offices.
• Experience in logistics, HR/Admin, and security management
• Experience having managed operations (including security) in conflict-impacted setting
• Excellent cross-cultural communication skills
• Excellent staff capacity building and training skills
• Strong problem-solving, analytical and decision-making skills.
• Strong computer skills.
• Flexibility, ability to work independently and meet deadlines
Fluency in English required. Knowledge of Arabic is an added asset.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
• High degree of flexibility and ability to work under sometimes extreme hardship conditions against tight deadlines.
• Ability to turn intention into practice with mentoring and coaching.
• Humility and respect and ability to work in multicultural/multi-ethnic environments.
• Strong computer and communication equipment skills, including Microsoft Office applications.
Specific Security Situation/Housing
South Sudan is security phase 3 – Orange so the Malualkon Field Coordinator will be expected to respect the various security protocols in place in the State and in country. There is a clear need to have a contingency planning in place with staff preparedness, should hibernation or evacuation be called. South Sudan (Malualkon/Panthou is an unaccompanied position and will be provided with shared housing accommodation.