NOTE: This job notice is on a rolling basis. The position will remain open until it is filled.
Desired start date: 15/02/2021
Duration of the mission: 6 months (renewable)
Location: Raja, Western Bahr el Gazal, South Sudan
SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL main objectives are: an overall reduction of morbidity and mortality linked with water-borne diseases through the provision of sustainable access to safe water in vulnerable communities hosting IDPs while developing community capacity to prevent water-borne diseases through improved hygiene and to improve the livelihood opportunities and resilience of the farmers and fisher folk in Raja County.
The Field Coordinator is in charge of the implementation of the project activities ensuring efficient security management and adequate coordination with partners and government stakeholders.
Type of activities:
- Activity 1: Rehabilitation of one water distribution point in Raja hospital and 3 other water points in 3 PHCU
- Activity 2: Maintenance of 10 latrines in Raja Hospital and 20 hand washing stations
- Activity 3: Awareness sessions and 3500 WaSH NFI distribution
- Activity 4: 30 Community Hygiene Promoters
- Activity 5: Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices Survey
- Activity 6: Distribution of livelihood inputs
- Activity 7: Training and extension services to the farmers’ groups.
Mission: size, bases, budget, number of expatriates and national staffs.
- Smaller size
- 1 base with 1 sub-base
- BUDGET 500,000 USD for 6 months
- 3 expatriates
- 13 national staff
ABOUT THE JOB
The Field Coordinator is reporting directly to the Country Director and under functional supervision of the Program Coordinator.
The Field Coordinator has the role of delegated Country Director for the region of the country in which Solidarités International intervenes.
- He/she proposes a regional strategy according to the geopolitical and humanitarian context, and ensures its implementation once validated.
- He/she checks and ensures that projects are carried out in accordance with the Solidarités International charter, respecting all internal and contractual procedures
- He/she mobilizes the material and financial resources necessary for programs to run smoothly, and supervises resource management.
- He/she coordinates the teams in place and is responsible for their security in his/her assigned zone.
- He/she is the Solidarités International representative on the field.
Main priorities within the first 3 months of the mission:
- Development and/ or update the security guidelines for SI Raja and Wau team
- Establish field based coordination mechanism
- Establish network and coordination platform with other actors in Raja to support SI strategy in the area.
The main challenges:
- Volatile context and complex security situation
- Developing collaboration and networking with local authorities and NGOs working in the area
- Evolving nature of needs and interruption of the planned activities
- Smooth coordination with all stakeholders.
- Basic living conditions.
- Electricity supply for most of the day but not 24 hours.
- Phone network available
- Local foods available, juba supply dependent for quality food.
- Minimum of 3 years of international experience in a humanitarian or development NGO in support sector;
- Proven experience in security management in an overwhelming scenario
- Previous experience as Field Coordinator is compulsory (no first mission/position).
- Proven experience as an efficient and effective manager (experience with expatriate management)
- Previous experience with Solidarités International is highly appreciated
- Exceptional organizational, coordination skills and networking;
- Experience and reliability in handling budgets and logistics procedures;
- Experience in project cycle management as well as in budget, HR and logistics management (to understand how is running a base).
- Previous experience in South Sudan is an asset
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Exceptional organizational and coordination skills;
- Strong negotiation skills are essentials with experience in conflict resolution desirable;
- Good representation skills: ability to liaise with local authorities, NGOs, other agencies and donors.
- Good understanding of humanitarian challenges including the link between refugees and Host Communities
- Knowledge of Solidarités International rules, tools and procedures would be an asset
- Ability to multitask and deal with stressful situations.
- Strong diplomatic and smooth leadership skills is essential;
- Good team player: ability to create and develop a good working environment and team cohesion.
- Organization, focus on objectives and ability to meet deadlines
Specific skills and experience:
Besides usual Field Coordinator competences, this position makes necessary to have a large degree of autonomy, a good strategic positioning and an extensive experience in access and security management.
Language: English is required, French and/or Arabic is an asset.
A salaried post: According to experience, starting from 2600 euros gross per month (+ 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem of 700 USD.
SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every three months (with 850 USD allocated by Solidarités). To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of one additional rest day per month worked, i.e. 12 days in addition for a one-year contract.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs refunded.