External Advert-Deputy Country Director Programmes
Key Areas of Responsibilities and Accountabilities
· Leads the overall program implementation and delegated responsibility for field delivery of high quality programming in line with Oxfam standards and the objectives of the country strategy;
- As a part of the leadership and senior management team in the country, develop strong matrix links with other country programme teams, relevant HECA regional staff, Global Humanitarian Team(GHT) and relevant International Department staff in order to develop and deliver the Oxfam country strategy.
· Oversee the program proposal process and participate on the strategic level with the Funding Coordinator to ensure that all programs progress in accordance with grant agreements, are completed within time and on budget;
· Leads on conceptualizing and designing cost effective, innovative and high quality programs to serve difficult to reach beneficiaries with the Deputy Country Director – Business Support and Programme Quality Coordinator;
- Oversight of geographical humanitarian and development programmes. Ensures overall leadership of disaster preparedness, mitigation and management including humanitarian response activities for Category 1 / 2 / 3 emergencies.
· Overall budget holder for all programming; ensure project expenditure is in line with work plans and commitments to donors and affiliates; and conduct monthly budget vs expenditure review for each project;**
· Overall leadership of program strategy plans and implementation to ensure responsiveness to communities in line with Oxfam’s principles, values and strategic plan and following Oxfam compliance procedures. This includes working with the government and national NGO-partners to strengthen national capacity;
- Ensuring effective advisory support from the country, regional and Oxford technical teams to the field teams.
- Ensure synergies between and harmonisation of humanitarian, development and advocacy programme strategies according to the “one programme approach” and enabling a smooth transition from emergency humanitarian interventions towards resilience and longer-term development programming where possible.
- One of the most crucial roles of the Deputy Country Director – Programmes is ensuring a strong link and mainstreaming of activities between the assigned departments, maximising their performances and effective use of resources through coordination and strategic guidance.
- Ensure that programme operations are of high quality, comply with established policies and procedures and contribute directly to Oxfam strategies and operational plans. This includes, but is not limited to gender mainstreaming, protection mainstreaming, programme accountability frameworks and humanitarian preparedness and response.
- Work with the Country Director and programme teams to secure internal and external funding to deliver programme activities through support to development of appropriate strategies and funding proposals.
- In close collaboration with HR Team, Programme Managers and Technical Coordinators, identify staffing needs, support recruitment of staff and manage the performance and development of all direct reports, ensuring performance objectives are produced and worked to, including identification and effective delivery of training and development needs.
- Representing Oxfam to government officials, donors, UN agencies, and NGO community as appropriate.
- Deputise for the Country Director in his/her absence or whenever necessary.
- Produce regular programme and context updates that can be shared with other Oxfam stakeholders.
- To ensure all Oxfam staff and programmes are familiar with and abide by the Oxfam’s Code of Conduct, Oxfam International standards and procedures and other regulatory codes (e.g. Sphere Minimum Standards).
- Frequent national travel to work with the field teams and liaise with Government, UN agencies and other NGO’s as appropriate.
Required Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
· Masters / Post-graduate from a recognized university/ college in International Development, Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian, Programme Management or any other area that can bring an added value to the job.
· Relevant experience in a similar position, minimum of 5 years for Masters or Post-graduate holders or 10 + years for Bachelor holders, in an international NGO.
· Good understanding of development issues in general with significant knowledge and experience in project and programme management in one of the fields of: (a) humanitarian programming (b) sustainable livelihoods and resilience, b) gender and development;
· Excellent personal management and communication skills, in written and verbal English, with high impact influencing and persuasive skills and able to use different approaches to achieve followership. Acceptable level of Arabic;
· Proven track record of leading and motivating multi-disciplinary, geographically remote teams and operations across several locations, often in fragile and complex contexts.
· Evidence of high level financial and asset management skills to steer the operational budget across a number of locations.
· Strong analytical and conceptual thinking skills; able to understand complex issues and translate them into simple, workable actions and plans
· Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and those of marginalised people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work in South Sudan
· Comprehensive evidence in knowledge and experience of development programmes, humanitarian response and advocacy and campaigning
· Knowledge of capacity building, learning and development activities and how to create learning and sharing environment with a strong knowledge management basis
· Commitment to and knowledge of creating a partner-led operational environment, with an ability to create an internal Oxfam approach that is focussed on developing and supporting partner organisations to achieve direct impact and results relating to Oxfam’s objectives
· Politically astute, with high impact influencing and persuasive skills and personal gravitas to gain respect and build and maintain strong, credible relationships, with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
· Committed to a right based approach including an active commitment to putting women’s rights at the heart of all we do as well as the rights of other marginalized people in all aspects of an organization’s work.
· Driving licence and use of it in insecure contexts.
· Ability to travel away from home, often to remote programmatic sites within the country prolonged periods, and periodic travel aboard for global meetings.**
- Working experience in South Sudan**
- Knowledge of Arabic**
- Working experience with Oxfam**
NB: Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Previous Candidates need not re-apply.
Only short listed candidate will be contacted.
How to apply
Deadline for submission of applications is 06 November. 2020. Interested Applicants should send soft copies of their CVs and Cover letters responding to the Required Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge to Hrsouthsudan@oxfam.org.uk.
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom Oxfam GB engages. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values *are recruited to work for us.
Oxfam is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those that are suitable to work within our values are recruited to work for us. This post is subject to a range of screening checks.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate security screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.